http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

View Poll Results: Ribbon vs. Elastic
Ribbon Waistband 10 16.67%
Elastic Waistband 50 83.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2009, 03:15

Default Ribbon vs. Elastic

I plan on making my first tutu soon and I'm stuck between using ribbon or using elastic. I've heard of people using both. What do you guys think? Which is the best to go with, why or why not should I use one or the other??

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:02

Default Re: Ribbon vs. Elastic

I only do sewn tutus right now, so its elastic for me. But, even as I start to do them tied, I will stay with elastic since it allows some room to grow.

Melanie
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29

I've always used elastic, never tried ribbon.
Elastic I think would hold up better, it grows with the child and knowing my daughter she would just untie it.

Facebook

Old 04-06-2009, 01:36

I voted yesterday, thought I commented, but obviously didnt. I have one of each for my girls, The elastic stays up - all the time. I am constantly having to re-tie the ribbon ones.

www.doodlebugsandbutterflies.com
Old 04-12-2009, 10:16

What do you prefer the tied or the sewn?? Whats the difference in the look??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I only do sewn tutus right now, so its elastic for me. But, even as I start to do them tied, I will stay with elastic since it allows some room to grow.

Melanie
Old 04-22-2009, 02:00

i use elastic and sew mine.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by debomommy View Post
What do you prefer the tied or the sewn?? Whats the difference in the look??

The sewn tutus that I do have a satin waistband and I think the look is a very "finished" look. I also sometimes do satin ribbon around the bottom. I have not tried the tied tutu because I don't really like the waistband. To me they tend to look lumpy and thick. However, you can get certain effects with a tied tutu that I can't get with the sewn one. The pixie cut and color layering are definitely better with the tied tutu. Also, with the tied tutu, I have concerns about busy fingers untying the knots over time. So there are pros and cons to both. As I have more time, I am going to experiment with combining the two techniques, but with a baby just learning to crawl, I am babyproofing right now, lol.

Melanie
Old 04-22-2009, 02:22

I've never made a sewn tutu. All of mine have been tied with elastic waistbands. I've never had one come apart yet and I have lots of kiddos using the ones that we have here for play. The elastic makes them really versatile as far as who can wear them

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Old 04-22-2009, 03:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste1977 View Post
I've never made a sewn tutu. All of mine have been tied with elastic waistbands. I've never had one come apart yet and I have lots of kiddos using the ones that we have here for play. The elastic makes them really versatile as far as who can wear them

How do you get the knots really secure and what knot do you use? Like I said in my post, there are certain effects you can't get on a sewn one and I would like to try some ideas I have for different looks. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, how do you minimized that lumpy look at the waist? BTW love your banner, did you make it yourself?

Thanks bunches,
Melanie
Old 04-22-2009, 03:41

The banner I bought on Etsy. I went on a search for a banner, it was the first one I saw and I absolutely loved it.

For the tutus - I use a roll of paper towels and straight pins. I pin a section of the elastic onto the roll and place the roll between my knees. It keeps the elastic secure while I tie my tulle and keeps the elastic from stretching out to much. It also makes it easier to get nice, even knots in the tutu.

The tie depends on the type of tutu that I'm making but either of them work - knotting the tulle or folding the tulle in half over the elastic and bringing both ends through the loop. Each will give you a slightly different look.

Wife to Rod and Momma to Tyreque, Ladaria, Raquel, Brayana, Destini, Jaleel, Makkiah, Taniyah and Cavelle along with my angel in heaven Angie and 85 foster kids who have left imprints on my heart
All Ribboned Out Remember Me Pillows to Remember your loved one whose far away
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif