Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-04-2009, 11:19

Default Square or pointy snap clip and ribbon size for covering?

Which do you prefer? pointy or square tipped snap clip. I want to cover them and also need to know what size clip and ribbon I should use. I'm wanting to make clips for my daughter who is 2 and her friends.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
http://hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/LearnHowToMakeBows%20Banner.jpg
Old 04-04-2009, 11:40

Default Re: Square or pointy snap clip and ribbon size for covering?

If you are just making lined clippies, it's really your personal preference. So far, I have mostly used the square clips (double prong alligator clips) as opposed to the pointy ones (single prong alligator clips). I use the single prong ones also when I am putting a smaller embellishment that is lightweight on it. The double-prong seem to stay in my dd's hair better (more gripping power I think). But that's just me. There's lots of people who like the single prong for everything. It really just does seem to be personal preference!

By the way, WELCOME to the forum!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:55

Snap clips

1) Pointy ones, comes in 30mm x 9mm = Use 3/8 ribbons

2) Square ones..comes in 40mm (not sure if it comes in 30mm) = Am assuming you'll hv to use the 5/8 ribbons. I know the 50mm, one uses the 5/8.

Alligator Clips = Single Prong and Double Prongs =>> 3/8 ribbons.

hth and welcome to the Forum...

Edited to add: Which ever you choose, pointy or square, it's a matter of YOUR personal preference... =)
Old 04-04-2009, 04:22

Why, thank you for the welcome and for the replies

I'm wondering if I might have to go with the larger clips (40 or 50mm) so that they stay in the hair and can hold enough. My 2 yo has a lot of hair! I guess I could try some of each. I do like that the 30mm can use the 3/8" ribbon since that seems more common to buy, at least here.

I'm going to go look at a ruler and see how big 30mm is. I'm can't visualize mm like I can inches .
Old 04-04-2009, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuChing View Post

I'm wondering if I might have to go with the larger clips (40 or 50mm) so that they stay in the hair and can hold enough. My 2 yo has a lot of hair! I guess I could try some of each. I do like that the 30mm can use the 3/8" ribbon since that seems more common to buy, at least here.

I'm going to go look at a ruler and see how big 30mm is. I'm can't visualize mm like I can inches .
I know what you mean, I always have to pull out my ruler to see how big certain mm's are. I occasionally do it for inches, too, though, especially if the size REALLY matters. Hope to see some posts of items you have made soon!
Old 04-04-2009, 05:16

Ahh..same here..can't visualize mms either..lol... Since you're going for the bigger clips (40 & 50 mm), ribbon size will be 5/8. My personal preference for the above sizes are the square ones. Don't like the pointy ones.

side note: I only use pointy ones for the 30mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuChing View Post

Old 04-04-2009, 08:09

I also use the 50mm with 5/8" ribbon. I do use the 30mm ones with 3/8" but they are really only for smaller amounts of hair. I use those ones for my baby clips. If she has alot of hair I would say the bigger ones are better and will hold more hair.

For the square or pointy...it is everyones own preference. I like the square for bigger ones and pointy for my 30mm ones.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:01

I did some 30mm snap clips for my 18 month old and they didn't fare so well! She has a bit of hair and they just didn't stay... The 50mm ones are great for us! I've never tried a 40mm one though. I also love aligator clips... both double and single prong have worked great in her hair.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22

I like the pointy clip. It is easier to put in on hair that has been pulled back.

Between "Life" and Homeschooling...
if I don't laugh...I'll start to cryMolly
Sponsored Links

hip girl boutique forum banner hair-hardware.com