http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-21-2009, 09:24

Default Tutu preference?

Hi all! I don't post much but have been lurking here for a while and have learned so much already! I was wondering what your preference is for tutu's, sewn or no sewn. I'm sure the non sewn is easier but which do you think looks better, hold up better, etc...? I assumed that sewing would be better for selling but to be honest I kinda like the look of the knots a little better. Also which is your preference of tulle? I've made some with the really cheap stuff and I just don't like how wrinkly and scrunchy it looks. Then again that could just be me doing it wrong...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 03-21-2009, 02:41

Smile Re: Tutu preference?

my daughter is one and she has 3 tutus but doesnt wear them that much. but i have heard that the non sewn tutus can be easily pulled apart by the girls wearing them. but like i said my daughter is only 1. so dont have that problem. i honestly like the knot tutus but i dont like big knots. my preference.
the first tutu i bought was almost $50 dollars and i compare that to the others i have purchased and i must say the tulle is way better than the cheap ones. its so much softer and doesnt wrinkle.
hoped i've helped!
Old 03-21-2009, 03:22

Default Re: Tutu preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandL View Post
Hi all! I don't post much but have been lurking here for a while and have learned so much already! I was wondering what your preference is for tutu's, sewn or no sewn. I'm sure the non sewn is easier but which do you think looks better, hold up better, etc...? I assumed that sewing would be better for selling but to be honest I kinda like the look of the knots a little better. Also which is your preference of tulle? I've made some with the really cheap stuff and I just don't like how wrinkly and scrunchy it looks. Then again that could just be me doing it wrong...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
I would like to know the same. I want to make one just for my daughter, not to sell, so would love to hear how you all make yours & what your preferences are on making them!!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:04

No sews can be pulled apart or come apart. If you tie them so they won't, then the elastic gets stretched out and the tutu is too big. Sewing is a little more difficult and time consuming.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:00

Hi Ladies,

I have only made 1 so far (DD is 6 months) and Reilly was a baby ballerina (at 5 weeks old) for Halloween. There is a huge difference in the tulle available out in the market. after Halloween I stuffed hers in a ziplock bag until we went to the photographer at 3 months old. I pulled it out and it was as soft and unwrinkled as when I made it. And it wasnt hard to sew either, in fact it was my first sewing project ever.

Melanie
Old 03-21-2009, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Hi Ladies,

I have only made 1 so far (DD is 6 months) and Reilly was a baby ballerina (at 5 weeks old) for Halloween. There is a huge difference in the tulle available out in the market. after Halloween I stuffed hers in a ziplock bag until we went to the photographer at 3 months old. I pulled it out and it was as soft and unwrinkled as when I made it. And it wasnt hard to sew either, in fact it was my first sewing project ever.

Melanie

What kind of tulle was it? I see many different names out there but they all claim to be the best. Where did you get it? Thanks!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:46

Well, since it was my first tutu, I just got the 54" from Hancock Fabrics and cut it down, but that isn't very practical. I have to go in a couple of days and I will look on the stuff I used to find out the content. Then you should be able to look for something with a similar fibre content.

Melanie
Old 03-22-2009, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Well, since it was my first tutu, I just got the 54" from Hancock Fabrics and cut it down, but that isn't very practical. I have to go in a couple of days and I will look on the stuff I used to find out the content. Then you should be able to look for something with a similar fibre content.

Melanie

Thnaks so much!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51

As a tutu maker myself, I prefer the unsewn look. I could upgrade to sewn tutus but as others stated it is a lil more time consuming and why fix something that isn't broke!
I have a special technique I use to where they can't be untied. I get all my tulle from nashvillewraps.com.
I take pride in having the softest tulle. Its a definate must for the newborn/infant tutus.
The tied tutus come out way more poofy than others in my opinion!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:12

I wanna try to make some to sell. I think they are really cute. How much do they usually sell for?
Sponsored Links