printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-19-2009, 10:59

Default Help! V-cuts stink

Okay, I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but I just can't get a nice perfect v on the ends of my ribbon after it is sealed. I am currently using a lighter (yes, I know, low tech) and think I need a woodburner. How do you do it with the burner and not have the same problem? And what are you using with your burner to not burn the dining room table! Any advice would be appreciated.

Melanie
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 03-19-2009, 11:05

Default Re: Help! V-cuts stink

You need to fold you ribbon in half when you cut. Open slightly and run across with a lighter. You need to open so that the ends don't stick together and you need to leave it partially closed so you can easily get the inside. Don't leave lighter on for too long else you melt the ribbon and the angles mess up. Also, when using a wood burner, its best to use it on glass.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:31

fold in half and leave a little space so that the ribbon doesn't stick. With a wood burner you will not fold in half or they will definely stick to each other. I use a metal ruler and find center then do the angle cuts individually. Its more time consuming, but they look a lot better in my opinion.(if anyone has a better way, i will love to know) I use a glass insert of a picture frame that i took apart to use for my small bows display.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18

So are you actually cutting the ribbon with the burner, or just sealing the edges?

Melanie
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09

The woodburner cuts and seals. I'm too accident prone to own one though. Many of my online bow making friends have dropped them in their lap or on something and burnt/ melted stuff. I just know I'd end up in the ER. I use a good old fashioned lighter to do my Vs even. They turn out well. Get some scraps and practice. fold in half, cut at a 35-45 degree angle, barely open the fold back up and swipe your lighter across both halves of the V at the same time. You'll get it

Old 03-20-2009, 02:57

for v-cuts i don't use a wood burner, ide suggest just a basic fold and cut, and then open, seal.

if you have liquid sealer, just put it on prior to cutting )

lighter? I use a lighter and or candle to heat seal my V's

I only use a wood burner for korkers and when cutting, its a easy method, but cutting with scissors is quicker for v's

JMO
Old 03-20-2009, 06:46

The easiest way I have found to make the "V" cuts is to fold the ribbon in half, and cut diagonally from the open end. When you purchase a wood burning tool, it usually comes with a stand. If yours didn't, then try using a small bowl, and lay the burner across the bowl with the heated end hanging off the edge. I personally like using the lighter better than the wood burner. You just have to be careful and not let the flame touch the ribbon.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:22

I must be getting the lighter too close or not moving it quick enough. I do fold my ribbon to cut, but once I seal, the v itself isn't very v shaped anymore. Maybe more u shaped, lol. But on straight or angle cuts, I do like the idea that the burner cuts and seals in one step. But, I have been opening the ribbon to seal, so I will try not opening to all the way.

Melanie
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26

I never cut my ribbon with my burner. I cut with the sissors the i seal with the burner while the ribbon is still folded slightly. You wont get a u this way but a good v cut. As you can see my vs are pretty neat and these were in a hurry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0045.JPG (407.5 KB, 61 views)
Old 03-20-2009, 11:19

Those are nice and crisp. It is in that point closest to the center that mine just dont look really neat.

Melanie
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg