http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/mini-pinwheel-bow-snap-clips-22pc.jpg
New product--3' everyday (pinwheel) hair bow/hairbow clips

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/peony-hair-flower-clips-red-ad.jpg
New product--Silk Geraniums

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46

Default Total newbie! What's the clear wire used to attach bows to clips

Hi, I'm a complete newbie here. I decided I need to learn to make my own hair bows for my daughter instead of buying them. I bought a korker barette and noticed it had clear wire wrapping the bow to the barette. Is that floral wire? I thought floral wire was green and really stiff wire whereas this is somewhat soft, but not stretchy wire.

I've seen websites mention using a lighter to heat seal the ends. Do you just hold the flame right under the ribbon ends but don't touch the ribbon?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 10:55

Default Re: Total newbie! What's the clear wire used to attach bows to clips

it could be the clear string like is used to make jewelry...can't recall the name of it. or fishing line maybe? I dont like using either for anything..can't get a knot to stay in it right. LOL
Old 03-17-2009, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandanmv View Post
it could be the clear string like is used to make jewelry...can't recall the name of it. or fishing line maybe? I dont like using either for anything..can't get a knot to stay in it right. LOL
When you mentioned fishing line, I asked my hubby and he said yes, it looks like it. So what do you use to attach bows to french barettes?

I think I need to tie the bow to the barette with something cause the bow korkers had already started to come apart from the glue on this one that I bought. I've seen too many hair accessories come apart when all that keeps them attached is glue.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27

If you're using a bow with a center knot you can wrap the ends of the knot piece around the button and glue that. That's how I attach mine.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32

You can get clear thread, but you can't get it near heat and it tangles easily. I prefer to use thread that matches whatever I'm using.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfordpower View Post
You can get clear thread, but you can't get it near heat and it tangles easily. I prefer to use thread that matches whatever I'm using.
When you say thread, do you mean regular sewing thread?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56

yes, they make a clear thread...it's like a thin fishing line. I use it when I'm wanting to gather fabric...easier to tug without popping it to gather the fabric. I don't use it for bows though...

I use upholstery thread for my bows. It's found with the regular sewing threads, but it's heavier weight. Works great for me.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:01

I use elastic thread...like the one that they use to keep the shoes together at Target. It is stretchy and holds a knot very well.
Also, when you seal the ends using a lighter, just run the ribbon end over the flame and the end will curl up. You could also use a wood burner, but if you're just starting off, I'd go with a lighter for practice.
Korkers can be difficult, but I'm positive with some practice you'll be great in no time. Do you have a box to help you make the korkers?

Between "Life" and Homeschooling...
if I don't laugh...I'll start to cryMolly
Old 03-22-2009, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGigiandLolasMommy View Post
I use elastic thread...like the one that they use to keep the shoes together at Target. It is stretchy and holds a knot very well.
Also, when you seal the ends using a lighter, just run the ribbon end over the flame and the end will curl up. You could also use a wood burner, but if you're just starting off, I'd go with a lighter for practice.
Korkers can be difficult, but I'm positive with some practice you'll be great in no time. Do you have a box to help you make the korkers?
I find the lighter works just fine for sealing the ends.
Right now I'm just starting out with the bowtique bow. I will try korkers later. I have yet to find a wooden dowel.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17

I use thread for the tiny baby bows and floral wire for the bigger bows. I find it the wire easier to work with. I have not tried the elastic string but have heard good things about it.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg