New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:17

Cool Dog bows

I took my puppy to the groomers today and she offered to buy bows from me if I make her some for dogs.Does anyone have any advice on the best ribbon to use? Does it really matter?I just started the world of bow making so I am very excited about this!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15

Default Re: Dog bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello View Post
I took my puppy to the groomers today and she offered to buy bows from me if I make her some for dogs.Does anyone have any advice on the best ribbon to use? Does it really matter?I just started the world of bow making so I am very excited about this!
Wow, congrats! That's awesome! Sorry I can't be of help on what kind of ribbon to use. Hope you get lots of sales on them!!!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:41

Quote:
i use grosgrain and satin it just depends on what look i am going for, i have asked the groomers that i sell to and some like the grosgrain better and some like the other i would take some of both to kinda get a feel for what she likes then specialize it to her wants, cause she has to see what her customers want
Old 03-16-2009, 09:38

thankyou I appreciate the advice. Not sure what to charge either any suggestions there? Do you also make bows for a groomer. My bestfriend owns her own hair salon too where I will be selling. Things are loking good for my hobby. If anything atleast maybe cash made will support my new habit!I only wish I had started sooner its so much fun!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:55

how do dog groomers attach the bows to the dog???
Old 03-17-2009, 02:57

I think groomer's traditionally have tied a bow on the dog like you would a bow on your daughter's ponytail. I think they used satin ribbon last time I went to one.

I would use grosgrain or stain, and make some different sizes. It's usually the smaller dogs that end up with bows. I think some alligator clips or butterfly style clips might work if they're small enough.

Another cute thing might be to make a collar that allows for interchangeable bows, like we do with headbands.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:59

do some searching on google and youtube LOTS of answers on dog bows!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by minamina2 View Post
how do dog groomers attach the bows to the dog???

Most groomers use a clear rubberband and attach in either a topknot or one by their ears. Satin and grossgrain are the best. I am selling my dog bows that look like a boutique bow $2.50 each or 2 for $4.00 and my show bows any where from $3.50 - $6.00 depending on the style. Just google grooming bows, because just a plain grooming bow is cheap. I buy from ebay and resell them for like 3 for $1.00.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:08

That is a really good idea to incorporate a collar with changeable bows. I am thinking maybe something simpler and just bows that slide over collars this would be great for bigger dogs or ones with less hair to grab.could use velcro to make them more adjustable. My dogs groomer was making her own bows but is just too busy. She said her clients prefer the french clips.She uses really tiny ones that I have not yet found,then again, haven't searched to hard yet either. I'm excited to finish my work week and get started. Thankyou all! You've really got me thinking new ideas!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:05

Quote:
That is a really good idea to incorporate a collar with changeable bows. I am thinking maybe something simpler and just bows that slide over collars this would be great for bigger dogs or ones with less hair to grab.could use velcro to make them more adjustable. My dogs groomer was making her own bows but is just too busy. She said her clients prefer the french clips.She uses really tiny ones that I have not yet found,then again, haven't searched to hard yet either. I'm excited to finish my work week and get started. Thankyou all! You've really got me thinking new ideas!

Just a point....if you plan on using the elastics for the dog bows, make sure you buy the orthodontic ones or something similar as they are much more durable and less likely to break/snap when putting them in or taking them out of the puppy's hair. My dog's groomer says the lady at the pet store makes her own but uses just the dollar store brand and a lot of people have complained that they always break. I was going to offer to make them for her but I am just too busy with shows and my website to take on any more extra work. Anyways, just a thought. You can find some of those elastics on ebay, that's where I bought mine. HTH
Sponsored Links