key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 03-03-2009, 09:35

Default Ribbon Tee Help

Hi ladies. Just wondering if someone who has made a ribbion tee can help me? I want to know if you make the bow removable and also what kind of bow do you make? Also do you sew the ribbion to the shirt or is there some kind of glue that you use? I will be making these for my dd's and they have a very hard time staying clean so does the ribbon get ratty after a few washes. Also should I wash the shirt first? Sorry for all the ?s but I would really like to make them some for our summer vacation and really want to get started so that things are not left to the last second. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:17

Default Re: Ribbon Tee Help

I have never made one but I did a lot of research because I was planning to . . . (lol!!)

Most advice I found said that they attach the bows to a plain pin back so it can be removed prior to washing. You can purchase them at any craft store. I have also seen where people get the sew on snaps and put one on the shirt and the other on the bow.

The advice I found for attaching the ribbon to the tee is that it needs to be sewn on. You can either sew it all the way around or take your seam ripper and open up the sides, tuck the ribbon in, and resew the seam.

Hope that helps. I really want to get it in gear and make some myself. Got all the info ~ just need to get it in gear.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:31

I just made mine for the first time this week and I measured 7" up from the bottom seam and sewed it all the way around the shirt (which was fast & way easy). I just made sure to to put the 2 ends of the ribbon together where I was placing the bow. I made a 4" tails down bow (the shirt was a size 2t) but I didn't make it detachable b/c it's for St. Patricks day so it's only for one day. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18

Pin back is a must so that the shirt can be washed. The bow choice is really up to you. I use basic bow without tails but thats preference.

Use wonder under and iron onto ribbon just like you would an applique. Do a search for either and you should find lots of info.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:17

Thanks for the help. I think I will give it a try this weekend.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24

i use hemming tape to keep the ribbon in place so that i can sew it on. I dont sew them all the way around just across the front from seam to seam. i dont even open the seam just so that it reaches all the way across. I also make the bow on the shirt detachable for washing. I use those pins from joanns that you would find on the back of broach they are very easy to use and make everything neet and clean looking.
Also when i do sew the ribbon on i make sure i streach the fabric a little to make sure the ribbon dose not restrain the wear in the front, but not so much that it leaves ripples. I just tape it to my ironing board then lay my hemming tape then the ribbon. I put an old cotton tee on top of the ribbon and then iron untill the tape is stuck. If its not right just peel the ribbon off and do it again. but i almost always get it right onthe first try.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies