ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-22-2009, 04:57

Default What do I do with all these buttons????

I ordered a batch of fabric covered buttons from etsy, but now that they are on the way I have realized I don't know what I am going to do with them! I want to make some type of clip, but not sure how to do it? I mean, do I just attach it like normal to a lined alligator clip, and how do I get them on those tiny little bobby pins? See, I should have thought it out a little more but was just so in love with them! ANy ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15

Default Re: What do I do with all these buttons????

Do they already have the fabric on them? If so, you could use them as bow centers.

If not, you can remove the shank with pliers, slip a rubberband through the shank and replace the shank. Then, you have the fabric covered button on the rubberband.

I made a TON of these with different fabrics for my girls, and I even use them. I've received a lot of compliments on them.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:37

For the bobby pins, its easiest to buy the bobby pins with the glue pad. Like this: Etsy :: goodyblythe :: Bobby Pins Hair Clips 50mm with 10mm pad 30qty

So many things you can do with covered buttons. Look at this seller: Etsy :: heatherknitz :: heatherknitz ~ rag bags patterns diy kits buttons

Have fun!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmc702 View Post
Do they already have the fabric on them? If so, you could use them as bow centers.

If not, you can remove the shank with pliers, slip a rubberband through the shank and replace the shank. Then, you have the fabric covered button on the rubberband.

I made a TON of these with different fabrics for my girls, and I even use them. I've received a lot of compliments on them.
How do you replace the shank securely? I have wanted to do something like this, but am afraid that the shank would not stay, and my button would fall off.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:41

get on your tube and type in fabric buttons. I covered my first ones today and it was so much fun. I want to buy some more if you would like to sell any. I need larger than 5/8.
Thanks,
Teresa
Teresa Miller's Memories
Old 01-22-2009, 12:44

What size button covers did you buy?
I used them for pony tail holders, I slip my holder through the hook/shank in the back then flip it back through. Less work.
You can use them as bow centers and depdning on what size, they can go on badge reels, or other items like that.
Also good for flower centers if you have the smaller ones.

I have some blank stuff to attach to in my store, like badge reels and some pictures with the flower centers. I also have those flat back bobby pins to attach the smaller ones to.

I have also made rings out of some of them.

I love button covers...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara12rara View Post
How do you replace the shank securely? I have wanted to do something like this, but am afraid that the shank would not stay, and my button would fall off.
These are the instruction I use to make ponytail holders.
Ponytail Holder Instructions

Old 01-22-2009, 03:16

I got several different sizes, I think the largest was 1 1/2 inch and the smallest ones were 5/8? They were precovered and have the shank still attached. Can't wait to get them and "play" around!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara12rara View Post
I use a pair of needle nosed pliers. I've found that you squeeze the ends toward each other and then start pulling on the side of the "u" that isn't straight (you'll find that one side has a little bend in it) from the outside. Put the rubber band in, and put the side back in. Then, I put both sides toward the back of the pliers (where it's bigger) and squeeze a bit. The shank will end up looking the same as it was when you started. It took me a few times to perfect my technique. Just keep tugging on the rubberband to make sure it's secure.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmc702 View Post
I use a pair of needle nosed pliers. I've found that you squeeze the ends toward each other and then start pulling on the side of the "u" that isn't straight (you'll find that one side has a little bend in it) from the outside. Put the rubber band in, and put the side back in. Then, I put both sides toward the back of the pliers (where it's bigger) and squeeze a bit. The shank will end up looking the same as it was when you started. It took me a few times to perfect my technique. Just keep tugging on the rubberband to make sure it's secure.
lol...I was thinking of those buttons with the plastic shanks. I see cute ones all the time that would make very cute pony-o's, but haven't figured out the best way to attach to the pony-o. I bought some ages ago from a hair shop that the maker used buttons. She actually cut the pony-o, threaded it through the shank, then tied the pony-o back together in a knot. I am always pullin the knot tighter when she wears those to keep them from coming untied. I have wondered if anyone else does these with a better method. I guess the only other option is to take the shank off then glue it back on around the pony-o, maybe with e6000. I would be so afraid it would come apart though.

I have never used the metal buttons. I am interested in making fabric covered buttons, but the kits I have seen are pretty expensive for just a couple buttons. I'm sure there has to be a more economical way, but I haven't come across it yet.
Sponsored Links