Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:22

Default Finally Quality bottle caps, and what I learned

I tried making these a while ago and I got so upset since mine always came out poor.

ah4185 (Heather) - I do have this one Elmo

Finally I created my own images and sized the files
to 4 inches x 6 inches.

Here is the final product (they are still drying).

I uploaded the files on line on walgreens.com and picked them up today.

Here are some things that went wrong that I would not have guessed.

1. my images were cut off about 1/4 of inch all the away around the photo, which means when you set your images you should leave more about 1/2" white border around the edges and have your images inside that border so they don't get cut off.

2. Each image was a 1 x 1 inch circle, but when I got home and was using my 1" circle punch the images were larger then the punch buy about 10% + which means you need to either reduce the sizes of the circles or carefully choose images that do not fill the entire 1 inch circle.

Now the good stuff the prints came out so well! I glued them to the bottle caps and then added the sealant. Tip: Do don't this with your kids around, or they will try to pick them up and they will be ruined. Hint - my 4 other sheets of prints were cut into strips by my ds, live and learn.

Last edited by creativekiddos; 01-20-2009 at 09:30.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2009, 10:08

Default Re: Finally Quality bottle caps, and what I learned

I have several sheets myself that my little helper has either cut up or taken the punch to. I try not to do them when the kids are around but sometimes I make just as big a mess. I have actually had to throw away a shirt & pick ET out of my hair, all in 1 batch of caps (and there were no kids around).
It is wierd with the sizes. Do you have them at 300 pixels? For some reason I have had some that when printed out they are actually smaller than the punch I use & I can't even use them becauwe they would have a big white ring around them. I still can't figure that one out.

I just finished up a few & tossed tham in the oven to cure so I can send one of them out in the am.
The flower ones you made are very cute.
Beth
Old 01-20-2009, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativekiddos View Post

ah4185 (Heather) - I do have this one Elmo

Finally I created my own images and sized the files
to 4 inches x 6 inches.

Here is the final product (they are still drying).

Awesome!! Could you give me a price idea on shipping it to CA? I'm excited ~ this will be my first bottlecap!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49

1st class shipping with delivery confirmation is $1.75 the cap is 0.50 cents. If you want you can mail me self addresses stamped envelope and I will send you the Elmo for free just pm me for my address.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50

Those are so cute! Sounds like a lot of work!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativekiddos View Post
1st class shipping with delivery confirmation is $1.75 the cap is 0.50 cents. If you want you can mail me self addresses stamped envelope and I will send you the Elmo for free just pm me for my address.
THANKS!! I just PM'd you!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:24

These look so great and professional. I need to try these. What would be a good source (cheap, LOL!) for blank bottle caps?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53

Funny - I just was looking at your site the other day for cap pics to order. I love those!!!! I will be ordering in the future!!!

Her is one thing I have learned - I bought a few different punches and all were too big, although my image was 1". I finally bought a Fiskars Med. round'n round sqeeze punch, and it works! All the others were punchin out at 1 1/32" - doesn't sound like a lot, but I would have to re-cut around the punched image to get all the white off and make it fit on the cap!!! UGH!!!

I just printed out some images last night and sprayed them with a photo spray, I will apply to caps and seal this weekend. I have never actually done a bottlecap yet, I just have all the supplies to go forward!!! We'll see how they turn out!!!!

Any secrets for gluing them to the actual cap? Glue stick? E6000?
Shelley
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48

Those are beautiful! I have been trying to make them for my niece (not to sell), and I have been ready to THROW THEM OUT THE FREAKING WINDOW. Congratulations on such beautiful bottlecaps! In the future, I think I'm just going to order them from you instead of trying to do it myself--I love your images, and you can tell that you do really quality work.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:45

Those look great Heather!! I love the strong colors!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg