http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-18-2009, 11:31

Question Any tips on making this?

I am dying to make this outfit for my dd's 2nd birthday but I'm not great at sewing.

Anybody have any directions, patterns, or useful tips? I would GREATLY appreciate it!! I have 3 weeks to figure it out ~ or go to Plan B.

Thanks to all you talented ladies who can help!! I need all the help I can get.

Heather
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elmo.jpg (12.3 KB, 104 views)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56

Default Re: Any tips on making this?

here is some help with the bottom ruffle
Sewing Ruffles and Gathers - How Ruffles Are Gathered & Formed
the top part of the dress looks pretty simple- just a 2 1/2 inch hem leaving one side open *you can use one piece of fabric having the seam in the back to add the elastic or do side seams?- then sew a shoot for the elastic (like the top of a curtain) leaving about 1/4 inch at the top so it will look ruffled -Basically it is a tube,because it is a jumper style and the ribbons are used for the ties(makes it much easier)-insert the elastic then sew the open side up and add your ribbon ties. The pants are just elastic waist capris with the ruffled bottom. HTH as I am not that great with giving written directions...LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 01:18

wow, thats cute. There are many patterns sold in ycmt
Old 01-20-2009, 04:02

Wink Re: Any tips on making this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah4185 View Post
I am dying to make this outfit for my dd's 2nd birthday but I'm not great at sewing.

Anybody have any directions, patterns, or useful tips? I would GREATLY appreciate it!! I have 3 weeks to figure it out ~ or go to Plan B.

Heather
Basically i would go and get two red pillow cases. cut the one pillow cases across the top and hem down 3 inches then mak another seem about 1 to 1 1/2 inches up from that make sure to leave a little opening for the elastic. then take the other pillow case and messure ur child or a pair of pants that fit the same length u want it and cut the pillow case accordingly, i use this method for my pillow case an d bloomers ouotfits that i make. make sure that the closed end is the top of the pants, cut it open and fold over and sew 1 inch down and leave a space for the elastic to go in. then after the pants are cut. take the already hemed part of the pillow case that you cut off and use it to do the ruffle on one leg. i assume that it wont cover both leggs so u might have to buy some fabric to do tha ruffle or u can use lace or u might have enough left over from what was cut off the pillow case. hope that this helps. i am off to find some fabric to make this my self.

Heather

o yeah lol for the elmo try getting a fabric that has him on it that you l;ike and make ur own applique or look online for iorn on transfers of him or maybe a premade applique.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchezutl View Post
Basically i would go and get two red pillow cases. cut the one pillow cases across the top and hem down 3 inches then mak another seem about 1 to 1 1/2 inches up from that make sure to leave a little opening for the elastic. then take the other pillow case and messure ur child or a pair of pants that fit the same length u want it and cut the pillow case accordingly, i use this method for my pillow case an d bloomers ouotfits that i make. make sure that the closed end is the top of the pants, cut it open and fold over and sew 1 inch down and leave a space for the elastic to go in. then after the pants are cut. take the already hemed part of the pillow case that you cut off and use it to do the ruffle on one leg. i assume that it wont cover both leggs so u might have to buy some fabric to do tha ruffle or u can use lace or u might have enough left over from what was cut off the pillow case. hope that this helps. i am off to find some fabric to make this my self.

Heather

o yeah lol for the elmo try getting a fabric that has him on it that you l;ike and make ur own applique or look online for iorn on transfers of him or maybe a premade applique.
Thanks!! I so want to make this but I'm scared! Maybe I will just suck it up and dive in. The worst I can do is waste some time and a couple pillowcases, right?

If you do make it, post some pictures. I would love to see it!!

Thanks!
Heather
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah4185 View Post

Heather
my "plan b" would be asking grandma to make it. looks too complicated for my weak sewing skills. Did you find this online somewhere? Might have to bookmark the page if grandma can't come thru for me!

Jennifer
Another crafty stay at home mom~www.3aminspirations.com
Old 01-22-2009, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aminspirations View Post
my "plan b" would be asking grandma to make it. looks too complicated for my weak sewing skills. Did you find this online somewhere? Might have to bookmark the page if grandma can't come thru for me!
I found it on Ebay. Isn't it just darling?
Sponsored Links