New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-04-2008, 08:37

Exclamation Attention To All!

I don't know where to post this, but if it's in the wrong place please move it. I just found this out by a friend of mine and it will affect us as crafters and sellers for the ability to sell our prducts. The CPSIA is trying tying to pass an Act/Law to have everything tested like thread, buttons, ribbon, fabrics, padding, ect for lead. They are purposing that the business' expence. If passed Feb 10, 2009 will be law nation wide. If caught it's 100,000 dollar fine per item.

here is the links onewith a patiton to sign if intrested in stopping it.

Petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/e...SIA/index.html
About the bill:
http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/legislation.html
Read more about what's being dubbed National Bankruptcy Day here:
http://nationalbankruptcyday.com/

Also more about it in you tube. It's designed for children 0-12 years old. I hope for our sake as crafters and WHAMS we will be spared.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 12-07-2008, 11:31

Default Re: Attention To All!

I have been seeing alot about this lately and it's scaring the daylights out of me. My website is currently being built and it looks like I might not even need it now. My husband wants me to stop selling now due to this law and I just got started! I am waiting to see what happens but from what I've read on other groups from someone who called the hotline this def. affects all of us bowmakers. This could be the end of many businesses.

Julie
Old 12-08-2008, 02:23

I thought this was mostly about handmade toys?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:07

Default Re: Attention To All! PLEASE READ !!!

It is about handmade toys, but the law is also written to include pretty much anything handmade for children under the age of 12.
Including but not limited to:

bibs
Blankets
clothing
hair accessories
toys

It also affect resellers of children's goods. Those who sell on Ebay,at mom2mom sales, goodwill, consignment shops.
You will not even be able to SELL, DONATE or GIVE AWAY items included under the law unless they have been tested and labelled as safe.

This law, which has already been signed by the President, will affect everyone on this board who sells items made for children.
It was not designed as written to provide for small businesses who make handmade goods on a small scale. You will not be able to sell at craft shows, online, etc unless you can pay hundreds of $$ to have each BATCH of your items tested and approved.

It is very scary. The fines are pretty steep if you are caught.
I really encourage everyone here to sign the petiton above and contact your local congressman or state representative. And please pass this information on to anyone and everyone...
The only way we get this ammended to make provisions for handcrafted items and small businesses like ours is to rally and get the word out!

More links:
H.R. 4040- the CPSIA, truth and fiction - Journals - CafeMom
Truths about H.R. 4040

Etsy :: What is ETSY doing about the CPSC deadline on Feb 10th, 2009?

Etsy :: Handmade Toy Alliance - ATTENTION all Etsy toy-makers

www.handmadetoyalliance.com

Handmade Toy Alliance | Google Groups

~*~Laura ~*~
Old 12-08-2008, 12:32

There is a big discussion about this on the Boutique Designers and Buyers board on Ebay! Lisa, mommastouch who posts on this board started the note there and it has had extensive replies. The latest one by a member there outlines it very well! She has just started her own boys clothing line and this new law will about stop her business. I don't feel right about posting what she found in her research but I will email her and ask her if I can send it along to anyone that is interested.
I'm afraid this is going to put to a stop making and selling about anything whether it be clothing, bows, jewelry or whatever.
This is a serious thing and it will be highly enforced.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:27

My head is swimming from all this info. I am all for protecting our kids but this seems so overboard. Shouldn't these items be tested long before they fall into our hands to be made into something??? We don't make the ribbon or trims or fabric etc. I am sure there are people out there who have the resources to manufacture these things but most of us moms don't.
Should they be trying to make an effort to test imported items as well? Why is that responsibility falling on us???

My co-worker loaned me some toys for my 14 month old nephew to play with while he was visiting over Thanksgiving. In the future that will be illegal??? WTH! I just got in from work and I am trying to make sense of it. Maybe I am not understanding. Someone feel free to set me straight.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:43

All of the big supplies should have there products tested and approved so we know which items we are allowed to use. This is crazy.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:54

Here is a very informative note by someone that has done extensive research on this. She gave me permission to post this here.
She said to be sure to give you gals the link to the fashion incubator site. They have opened their message boards to the public for this.
Fashion-Incubator User Forum :: View Forum - CPSIA & Consumer Safety
Here is the information Lisa so kindly found.
THIS LEGISLATION IS NOT TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY. Ducking your head in the sand and saying it doesn't apply to you doesn't release you from liability. There are hefty fines if you get caught.

I am very concerned about the new CPSIA regulations and each one of you who sells children's clothing or products should be, too. Let me explain.

There are two separate testing certification issues:
1. LEAD
2. PHTHALATES

If you are a clothing designer (whether you sell one-of-a-kind or 100,000 of each), YOU ARE NOW REQUIRED BY LAW to test for LEAD. The phthalates testing is for items such as rubber bibs, toys, infant feeding items, etc.

Selling products without lead testing BY YOU after February 10th will become ILLEGAL. Plain and simple. And YOU will be required to do the testing by hiring a CERTIFIED LAB.

Testing is expensive. Very expensive. Now, I am a small boys' clothing manufacturer who sells to specialty children's clothing boutiques nationwide. I produce a line of cotton snap-down shirts, twill pants, twill hats and cotton knit t-shirts. My entire line is 100% cotton and is most likely lead-free. The cost to test my line is $11,000 per season. I have TWO seasons a year: Fall/Winter and Spring/Summer = $22,000 additional expense a year!!! Testing for a pair of pants in my line is approximately $560 per style. The current retail price of my pants is $64. If I add the cost of certified testing for lead, my pants will have to retail at about $90 each!

It doesn't matter if your fabric and inputs (zippers, thread, buttons, snaps, etc.) are tested by the company that sells them to you. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE to test them YOURSELF and provide testing certificates to those who purchase your items (whether they be a wholesale or retail customer). And all inventory not tested after February 10th will be BANNED.

Now you're thinking they won't be able to catch you. WRONG. First, Etsy has already taken a stand on it and will not be allowing sales of such uncertified items. It is against their TOS (terms of sale) to sell ILLEGAL items. Their bylaws specifically state that you cannot sell items that are banned by the CPSC. And as of February 10th that means your uncertified children's clothing.

eBay will soon follow Etsy as their TOS are similar. Remember, eBay doesn't want to be liable for facilitating the sale of illegal goods.

You are foolish to think this whole lead issue doesn't apply to you. If you made clothing in your home with your little sewing machine, YOU ARE A MANUFACTURER.
also if you make bows and jewelry you are also a manufacturer.

I'm sure Lisa will stay on top of this but you can get all the info you need from the fashion incubator site as well.
Just to add salt to the wound you won't be able to resell clothing that has not been tested and certified either. Nor can you give it away to Goodwill etc. Consignment stores will be a thing of the past.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:29

Ladies thanks for the links. I will be reviewing this info bit by bit. I have to get my maw maw glasses out for reading.

Don't you ever wonder who exactly comes up with these laws??? Was this a bill that was pushed on the president's desk at the end of the day when he was trying to get out of the door in a hurry. Did anyone think this all the way through??? Obviously not because it will affect everyone! Just what our economy needed.

One of my favorite boutiques closed the other day. She sold more pricey high end children's clothes. I loved to go in there and look around. I had even talked to her about putting some hair accessories in in there. Well I have not been since I started working and I heard at a PTA meeting the other night that she closed. I passed by the store and yes she was closed. Very depressing.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:15

I have heard nothing about this new law on tv or in the newspaper! We all need to email our tv stations, newspapers and congressman and ask. If we are not heard we are going to be put out of business, all of us from our suppliers to the stay at home mom. We have a voice and need to use it. Send the new law to anyone that can be effected by it from the person you buy ribbon from to the the person putting on the craft shows. This will effect us all!
Sponsored Links