Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials ----------------------- Hip Girl Boutique Free Tutorials
How To Make A Full Mini Korker Hair Bow How To Make A Double Ruffle Ribbon 'Korker' Hair Bow Korkers Korkers--Testing Different Sizes How To Make Surrounding Loops The Easy Way How To Make 2-Layer Interchangeable Hair Bows With Spike--Part I Double Ruffle Ribbon Scrap Hair Flowers II--Free How To Bottle Caps--Q & A Free Instructions--How To Edit Bottle Cap Images How to Make Watermelon Hair Bow Clips Picture Perfect Tutorial

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-14-2008, 01:25

Default Re: Attention To All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativesidebows View Post
I just sent this message into the faq section. Hopefully they will answer it:

I belong to a VERY large community of stay at home mom's who sell handmade clothing and accessories for children. We are all up in arms trying to decifer if our handmade dresses, burp clothes, hair bows and baby blankets will be subject to ANY of these testing requirements. Please clarify if handmade items made from material, fabric and ribbon need to be tested.
thank you! I hope that they answer your question quickly! Please let us know what they say

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 12-14-2008, 02:41

Quote:
Bows are NOT toys so anything that comes about for toy issues has no bearing on my products. I wish everyone well in thier endevure to find their piece of mind during these confusing times.
me and the hubby were just discussing this fact this morning.. it is technically a article of clothing...
Old 12-14-2008, 02:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANCISBEL View Post
Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), FAQs For Section 104: Standards and Consumer Registration of Durable Nursery Products FAQs

I will wait for what other persons said because my english is very short sometime I don't understand very well and I don't want to make a confusion...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippyToes View Post
From what I have understood in all of my reading.......the Durable Nursery products section is in regards to phalates testing. ALL products are still subject under the lead requirements.
Quote:
Section 108 is for Phthalates. Phthalates testing is for items used in playing, sleeping, sucking, feeding or teething. Hair bows and apparel do not fall into this. This is what it states:

Section 108: Products Containing Certain Phthalates

What kind of products does the phthalates prohibition apply to?
Three phthalates, DEHP, DBP, and BBP, have been permanently prohibited by Congress in concentration of more than 0.1% in “children’s toys” or “child care articles.” A “children’s toy” means a product intended for a child 12 years of age or younger for use when playing, and a “child care article” means a product that a child 3 and younger would use for sleeping, feeding, sucking or teething.
Three additional phthalates, DINP, DIDP, and DnOP, have been prohibited pending further study and review by a group of outside experts and the Commission. This interim prohibition applies to child care articles or toys that can be placed in a child’s mouth or brought to the mouth and kept in the mouth so that it can be sucked or chewed that contains a concentration of more than 0.1% of the above phthalates.
durable products are considered things that are "hard" ie; crib, porta cribs, high chairs. section 104 is concerning danny keysar law (sp) its because the child was killed after his portacrib collapsed and suffocated him... that is how all this is comming about...

a Bow is NOT a durable product it is not meant to last years. that is why you are not hearing how walmart and kmart are going to raise their prices on kids clothes... they dont fall uner this law the dont have to test all their cheap chinese clothing...
Old 12-14-2008, 03:45

Please sign the petition
Save Handmade Toys in the USA from the CPSIA Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]
Old 12-14-2008, 04:09

Creative, section 104 refers to the pthlates (sp?) testing, not lead. Bow makers and the rest of us homecrafters don't have to worry since, for the most part, our products don't contain plastics.

It is section 101, the lead testing provision, that is requiring testing off ALL children's products. The CPSC has just released a few new FAQS to check out:

www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/faq.pdf

The very first item on the list of definitions has to do with what constitues a children's product:

"
Definition of Children’s Product
Q
: What is the definition of a children's product and how will the age cutoffs be
determined?

A
: A “children’s product” means a consumer product designed or intended primarily for
children 12 years of age or younger. In determining whether a consumer product is primarily
intended for a child 12 years of age or younger, the following factors will be considered:

A statement by the manufacturer about the intended use of the product, including
a label on the product if such statement is reasonable.

Whether the product is represented in its packaging, display, promotion or
advertising as appropriate for use by children 12 years of age or younger.

Whether the product is commonly recognized by consumers as being intended for
use by a child 12 years of age or younger.

The Age Determination Guidelines issued by the Commission staff in September

2002, and any successor to such guidelines."

Now, if you go back to section 101, you will see the CPSA talking about ALL children's products needing to be tested for lead levels.

Here is another great link to the CPSIA regarding the new standards:

Frequently Asked Questions on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)

Again, you need to see a lawyer who specializes in product safety and sit down and tell them your product and how do you need to comply with the law.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:10

I guess the final thought I have is, "Who is profitting off this law"? Well, it seems that the testing labs (who have raised their fees 5x to 20x) and the lawyers. poo.

Of course our kids will be safer...maybe.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBowMom View Post
Creative, section 104 refers to the pthlates (sp?) testing, not lead. Bow makers and the rest of us homecrafters don't have to worry since, for the most part, our products don't contain plastics.

It is section 101, the lead testing provision, that is requiring testing off ALL children's products. The CPSC has just released a few new FAQS to check out:

www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/faq.pdf

The very first item on the list of definitions has to do with what constitues a children's product:

"
Definition of Children’s Product

Q
: What is the definition of a children's product and how will the age cutoffs be

determined?
A

: A “children’s product” means a consumer product designed or intended primarily for

children 12 years of age or younger. In determining whether a consumer product is primarily
intended for a child 12 years of age or younger, the following factors will be considered:

A statement by the manufacturer about the intended use of the product, including

a label on the product if such statement is reasonable.

Whether the product is represented in its packaging, display, promotion or

advertising as appropriate for use by children 12 years of age or younger.

Whether the product is commonly recognized by consumers as being intended for

use by a child 12 years of age or younger.

The Age Determination Guidelines issued by the Commission staff in September

2002, and any successor to such guidelines."

Now, if you go back to section 101, you will see the CPSA talking about ALL children's products needing to be tested for lead levels.

Here is another great link to the CPSIA regarding the new standards:

Frequently Asked Questions on the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)

Again, you need to see a lawyer who specializes in product safety and sit down and tell them your product and how do you need to comply with the law.

What about buttons for dresses

Old 12-14-2008, 06:06

I have not piped in on this in a while. I have more of a vent than anything. I think it is absurd that crafters such as us would be required to test our creations! I do not feel that we are manufacturers first of all. We are CRAFTEs who buy supplies from MANUFACTURERS. It seems to me they should be the ones responsible for all the testing!

I really hope that we can raise enough concern, lord knows it's warranted, and have some of these provisions reconsidered. It is just all too confuisng. It needs to be black and white...this is what's included and this is what is not!

Just my two cents!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkypinkboutique View Post
I have not piped in on this in a while. I have more of a vent than anything. I think it is absurd that crafters such as us would be required to test our creations! I do not feel that we are manufacturers first of all. We are CRAFTEs who buy supplies from MANUFACTURERS. It seems to me they should be the ones responsible for all the testing!

I really hope that we can raise enough concern, lord knows it's warranted, and have some of these provisions reconsidered. It is just all too confuisng. It needs to be black and white...this is what's included and this is what is not!

Just my two cents!
I agree with you.

I also think that this should pertain ONLY to larger corporations who depend solely on the cheap wages paid to oversea labor. THEY are the reason why this is all happening in the first place.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:42

oh looksie! I'm guessing it's ok with RABOM's ribbons (for those that didn't sign up with their Newsletter):

Consumer Product Safety Act.
Ribbon and Bows Oh My is always striving to improve our product, customer service, and quality. One of our 2007 goals that we undertook was to specifically put a lot of effort into Safety, Health, and the Environment. We have received questions and comments from you, our customers regarding the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, with respect to Title I –CHILDREN’S PRODUCT SAFETY. We have reviewed this document and have contacted all our suppliers and received updated Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and/or Test Analysis reports on all our product categories.
Section 101 pertains to the lead paint rule. A synopsis of the bill states that:
• 180 days after the bill is enacted, the total lead limit is 600 ppm content by weight.
• One Year (1) after the bill is enacted; the total lead limit is 300 ppm content by weight.
• And three years (3) after the bill is enacted; the total lead limit is 100 ppm content by weight.
• If the commission feels that 100 ppm is not technologically feasible able to be tested, then the limit will read 300 ppm.
We have talked to our supplier of the flat back resins, and the surface coating black paste used to paint the resins is <20 ppm. Additional testing is not required by Ribbon and Bows Oh my due to the very low levels of lead (Pb).
The Bill also states that “Prohibition on the Sale of Certain Products Containing Phthalates- Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, it shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture for sale, offer for sale, distribute in commerce, or import into the United States any children's toy or child care article that contains concentrations of more than 0.1 percent of di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dibutyl phthalate (DBP), or benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP).”
All our ribbon is free from di-(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), dibutyl phthalate (DBP), or benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP).
Second Party Testing is NOT required as a result of the above noted results. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact our Plant Manager, Tony Byrne at (866) 538-2416 or email at [email protected]

Now, it's just the hardware we need to know/get infos? Altho, am not sure if the above will help us bowmakers to continue what we're doing : bowmaking / selling...
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif