New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-11-2008, 07:57

Default Re: Attention To All!

Yes,etsy know about this ,they send a email today about this situacion..
Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2008, 08:53

What I don't understand is why I have not been contacted by "someone", "anyone" with any government status? I own a boutique, I pay taxes every month. If I didn't read and belong to forums I would know NOTHING! I don't watch tv, seriously I don't. I think this is so far fetched. I have a lease what in the world am I suppose to do. Be out all that money file for bankrupt, skip country. this is crazy. I will see what happens on Feb 10th. Until then I'm still on the sidelines.
I have spoken with several local stores here and they have heard NOTHING! I also spoke with someone regarding one of the largest street fairs in the country thats held here in tucson. Again NOTHING! If this is so serious like everyone says, I believe it should be more CUT and DRY!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:29

Ya know, the ONLY site I would even consider to be correct and factual is the CPSIA. All these other sites seem to be interpretations of the bill. I'm not an expert on any of this, but from what I read on the CPSIA site, I'm really not too concerned. I know most here hate the government etc. but you have to give them a little credit. They are not STUPID. They have left it up to the CPSIA to decide on who/what is exempt. I really feel this has gotten blown up into something it is not. Just my .02 cents!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypiggysboutique View Post
Ya know, the ONLY site I would even consider to be correct and factual is the CPSIA. All these other sites seem to be interpretations of the bill. I'm not an expert on any of this, but from what I read on the CPSIA site, I'm really not too concerned. I know most here hate the government etc. but you have to give them a little credit. They are not STUPID. They have left it up to the CPSIA to decide on who/what is exempt. I really feel this has gotten blown up into something it is not. Just my .02 cents!
Amen. I'm seeing interpretations. I perosnally feel this is a quick cover up to the problems and lawsuits that have come from all the toys /furniture recalls n such. It's sad, but I'm not worried either. Just more clueless than anything
Old 12-11-2008, 10:13
creativesidebows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsx3 View Post
What I don't understand is why I have not been contacted by "someone", "anyone" with any government status? I own a boutique, I pay taxes every month. If I didn't read and belong to forums I would know NOTHING! I don't watch tv, seriously I don't. I think this is so far fetched. I have a lease what in the world am I suppose to do. Be out all that money file for bankrupt, skip country. this is crazy. I will see what happens on Feb 10th. Until then I'm still on the sidelines.
I have spoken with several local stores here and they have heard NOTHING! I also spoke with someone regarding one of the largest street fairs in the country thats held here in tucson. Again NOTHING! If this is so serious like everyone says, I believe it should be more CUT and DRY!
Amen to this! If I didn't spend to much time on this forum and others I would know nothing about this issue (and be less stressed for it!) For real, I just want to know the serious in's and out's and what effects me and my business and therefore my family and my mortgage payment. I've read for hours on the cspia site and so much of it can be interpreted in different ways. I just wish they would write it in terms the average human can comprehend. My true good friends keep telling me this is for the big companies, I just wish I could believe them and not be so stressed out about it. I just had and incredible craft show, making enough to get my family through the winter and now I'm looking at hiring an attorney to help me understand this. Really, I wasn't counting on having to fork over that money. This all just really is a pain in the ass.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:16

Quote:

My husband lives on CNN and has not seen anything in regards to this either. He did not hear of it until I sent the links to him. Not saying that it is nothing to worry about but I do find it strange. I mean when ever there is a scare about lead or other substances found in children's products you hear about it. You would think we would hear about an important law like this going into effect. I wish something would be said so that the masses will know.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativesidebows View Post
Amen to this! If I didn't spend to much time on this forum and others I would know nothing about this issue (and be less stressed for it!) For real, I just want to know the serious in's and out's and what effects me and my business and therefore my family and my mortgage payment. I've read for hours on the cspia site and so much of it can be interpreted in different ways. I just wish they would write it in terms the average human can comprehend. My true good friends keep telling me this is for the big companies, I just wish I could believe them and not be so stressed out about it. I just had and incredible craft show, making enough to get my family through the winter and now I'm looking at hiring an attorney to help me understand this. Really, I wasn't counting on having to fork over that money. This all just really is a pain in the ass.
I totally get the whole under 12 and such, but a hair bow? or for that matter a onesie with a ribbon sewed on to it. I have a whole boutique with nothing but handcrafted items. I am going to be out of business and the rest of my lease. This is crazy. My dh is seeking leagl advice on this. I'm going to forget I even read this, it has been e56 nothing but extra stress for me! I'm going to use myself as a model and sell my bows to adults now!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:48

Quote:
I totally get the whole under 12 and such, but a hair bow? or for that matter a onesie with a ribbon sewed on to it. I have a whole boutique with nothing but handcrafted items. I am going to be out of business and the rest of my lease. This is crazy. My dh is seeking leagl advice on this. I'm going to forget I even read this, it has been e56 nothing but extra stress for me! I'm going to use myself as a model and sell my bows to adults now!
My dh suggested I sell my bows to teens older than 12. I agree that this whole thing makes my head spin . Unfortunately, the fine is way too high for me to find out the hard way and with the whistle blowers out there unless this is cleared up I will have to close up shop.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/rulemaking.pdf

I do not see anything here!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:15

Thank you for the info. on Etsy! They have issued an open letter in regards to the CPSIA:

Etsy :: The Storque :: Craftivism :: Handmade Children's Items & Unintended Consequences: Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act

Even they realize that this law applies to ALL products intended for children 12 and under. When I say all products, I'm referring to the actual law. The way a law is written, you are given definitions at the top of the law, in this case the mother law, the CPSA (Consumer Product Safety Act, page 4) which defines Children's Products as:

DEFINITIONS
SEC. 3. [15 U.S.C. § 2052]
(a) IN GENERAL.—In this Act:
(1) A
PPROPRIATE CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEES.--The term "appropriate Congressional committees" means the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate.

(2) C
HILDREN’S PRODUCT.--The term "children's product" means a consumer product designed or intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger. ********

http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/cpsa.pdf

All later laws, including the CPSIA, are governed by the initial CPSA definitions.

The Wall Street Journal also has an article which summarizes the law well:

"The new rules for the first time impose limits on the amount of total lead that can be used in children's products, and they toughen standards on the amount of lead allowed in paint. The rules apply to any products intended for use by children 12 years old or younger, including toys, electronics, apparel and sporting equipment."

Vendors Urge Relaxed Lead-Safety Rule - WSJ.com

Yes, that would be ANY product including apparel, you know, clothes, bows, jewelry, etc. There are NO exceptions for the moment. All children's products are required to be tested for lead beginning in February whether they contain paint or not but the hope is congress will add exemptions. Now we all know how much hope is worth when your livlihood is on the line. Unless something is done by congress, this is already written in stone. You can continue to bury your head in the sand about the law but it's in plain english.

Whether it's a good law or bad law is a moot point. It's the law whether you like it or not. Pleading ignorance or claiming you can't understand the information or can't find the definition of facts is not enough to exempt you from complying.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies