key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-08-2008, 07:07

Default Re: Attention To All!

OMG!!! This is crazy. Just as I and I am sure many more have really gotten started on our businesses and now we will have to shut it all down. This is insane, I just can't believe it. What are we gonna do with all these supplies we have? Oh Lord....I really hope we can all rally together and get these laws changed!

In addition to my bows I have also started working on a children's clothing resale site. I guess that is gonna have to go down the tubes too. And what about all of ou moms who do this so that we can stay home with our kiddos and still have an income? Now we are gooing to have to go out and try to find a job in this economy?

This really was not thought through! I am so upset and confused right now!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:58

Hi,

I am totally new on this board, so hi, I'm emily! Also, by reading through the laws that have been passed on the website, we as individuals do NOT have to individually test our materials. You can even still sell the old ones, they are required to be marked as not having been tested, or non compliant. (or as the site says much like a grocer would mark food as organic)

THe manufacturers are required to test their product (or supplies in our case) and we would be required to purchase materials that have already been tested.

Clothing and other items that are not labled for "play" or care of a child do not even need to be tested. Only if they can be used for play or are labeled as such. If you made a play dress up outfit and labled it a costume it would be exempt.

I hope this helps!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by justemily View Post
Hi,

I am totally new on this board, so hi, I'm emily! Also, by reading through the laws that have been passed on the website, we as individuals do NOT have to individually test our materials. You can even still sell the old ones, they are required to be marked as not having been tested, or non compliant. (or as the site says much like a grocer would mark food as organic)

THe manufacturers are required to test their product (or supplies in our case) and we would be required to purchase materials that have already been tested.

Clothing and other items that are not labled for "play" or care of a child do not even need to be tested. Only if they can be used for play or are labeled as such. If you made a play dress up outfit and labled it a costume it would be exempt.

I hope this helps!

I hope you are right~ it seems to me that is the way it should be!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:06

there is a petition that I have posted to from a another forum to stop it. sign it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndilou View Post
I have heard nothing about this new law on tv or in the newspaper! We all need to email our tv stations, newspapers and congressman and ask. If we are not heard we are going to be put out of business, all of us from our suppliers to the stay at home mom. We have a voice and need to use it. Send the new law to anyone that can be effected by it from the person you buy ribbon from to the the person putting on the craft shows. This will effect us all!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50

Emily I have to disagree with you. This DOES pertain to individuals.
I suggest everyone go to the website I posted and read.
This law has already passed and goes in to affect in February.
Please take this very seriously and read the law for yourself.
Etsy and Ebay are going to require a certificate from you from the lab that tested your things or you will not be able to sell there. By law they cannot allow anyone to sell untested articles for children under 12.
Sure there will be those that just go on doing what they do and selling their products. But they will be breaking the law and the fines are going to be very high.
Read what is posted and decide for yourself if it's a risk you are willing to take.
I only posted the link to the website so that you all can read and get the information for yourself. Which is always better than relying on someone else's interpretation.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:30

I thought this law was just pertaining to the under 12 crowd? If this is the case then you can still make bows, and if a mom chooses to buy a bow from you for her 3 year old, that falls on her. Right?

Also I've been doing some reading, and it says child care articles... Socks and shoes are exempt, because they aren't a child care article for sleeping or for teething or sucking (now a sock for a doll is not exempt and needs to be tested)... so I am going to keep an eye out for this, but IMO if socks and shoes are exempt, and Halloween costumes, then I think bows would be too.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniCA View Post
Emily I have to disagree with you. This DOES pertain to individuals.
I suggest everyone go to the website I posted and read.
This law has already passed and goes in to affect in February.
Please take this very seriously and read the law for yourself.
Etsy and Ebay are going to require a certificate from you from the lab that tested your things or you will not be able to sell there. By law they cannot allow anyone to sell untested articles for children under 12.
Sure there will be those that just go on doing what they do and selling their products. But they will be breaking the law and the fines are going to be very high.
Read what is posted and decide for yourself if it's a risk you are willing to take.
I only posted the link to the website so that you all can read and get the information for yourself. Which is always better than relying on someone else's interpretation.
What kind of products does the phthalates prohibition apply to?

Three phthalates, DEHP, DBP, and BBP, have been permanently prohibited by Congress in concentration of more than 0.1% in “children’s toys” or “child care articles.” A “children’s toy” means a product intended for a child 12 years of age or younger for use when playing, and a “child care article” means a product that a child 3 and younger would use for sleeping, feeding, sucking or teething.

Three additional phthalates, DINP, DIDP, and DnOP, have been prohibited pending further study and review by a group of outside experts and the Commission. This interim prohibition applies to child care articles or toys that can be placed in a child’s mouth or brought to the mouth and kept in the mouth so that it can be sucked or chewed that contains a concentration of more than 0.1% of the above phthalates

I don't think this has anything to do with bows. Where do you see that it would have something to do with bows?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57

I have been doing lots of reading of forums, articles, and scouring the CPSIA and CPSC website for more insight into this. I have decided that the legislation if still very vague and there is not an appropriate plan in place to enforce it yet.
1. There are only 14 (FOURTEEN) accredited labs in the United States that can test for lead at this time. Imagine those 14 labs having to test every single product.

2. The CPSCIA does not affect resale shops, consigment shops, garage sales etc as far as I can tell. Only MANUFACTURERS AND PRIVATE LABELERS are required to get third party testing.

3. I have inquired about what constitutes a manufacturer and private labeler with the CPSC. Generally, manufacturing refers to making of raw materials and ASSEMBLING refers to putting together products in final form. There are companies that only manufacture, others that manufacture and assemble, some only assemble, and some only sell whether wholesale or retail. The wording states that the manufacturer must provide proof to the wholesale or retail company. So there is that question of what the CPSC constitutes as a manufacturer.

Once I have more information on the definition of a manufacturer I will post. I believe that most of us crafters are "assemblers" and not manufacturers, and thus would be exempt from the testing. However, I am not sitting well with this until I know for sure.

Just my thoughts.
Lisa

Last edited by abunchofbows; 12-09-2008 at 12:07.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:33

My lawyer read it all and told me he would suggest I stop selling until things are clearer.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:13

This is really crazy. I LOVE going onto Etsy and buying cute bows for my daughter! I would hate it if you wonderful ladies couldn't sell your wares any more--that's just ridiculous. Also, I'm betting that this extra expense to manufacturers to test for lead/etc. is going to be passed onto US, the CONSUMERS of these products. I wonder how much children's clothing prices will go up because of this.
Sponsored Links