http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/digital-image-editing%20-%20gallery.jpg
Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/horse-grosgrain-ribbon-029.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/apple-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 12-04-2008, 05:32

Default Big Girl Bows

I need advice for what kind of bows to make!!! Someone asked me to make them some bows for her 8 1/2 year old. She said she want some in pink and in primary colors. I asked her a bunch of questions about what she specifically wants, but she just said for me to put some together and her "little diva" will love them. The questions I asked include:
1) 1 bow or matching set of each?
2) 1 solid color each, or multiple colors?
3) Simple plain bows, or layers and spikes?
4) Big or little?
5) Wide or narrow ribbon?

Since she didn't answer any of those questions, I don't know what to make. I have been making bows and clippies for my own girls (ages 1 and 2 1/2) and only really know what the baby/toddler/little girl age group wears. What bows are the 8 + age group wearing? (She doesn't want clippies, just bows)

I really want to get this right, and not seem to her like I am clueless. I know that if she likes them she will be a repeat customer. She also has a lot of connections that could lead to referrals. If everything works out like I hope, I will get a lot of business through her.

BTW, She is related to my dh, and I know she will pay me so that is not an issue.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg
Old 12-04-2008, 05:44

Default Re: Big Girl Bows

hi!! well i think maybe since she's older, she might like the streamer kind better. Or at least that's what i've seen older girls use more. But my daughters are 4 and 1, so my advice is from what i've seen.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:23

Why don't you send her some pics or links of different bows, like boutique or twisted boutique, pinwheel. My neice is 8 and she shares bows with her 5 year old sister. I think regular boutique bows would be nice. Maybe some stacked? But I wouldn't feel comfortable without some info first.

I think if you send pics, you can get qa better idea of what she wants.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylynn View Post
Why don't you send her some pics or links of different bows, like boutique or twisted boutique, pinwheel. My neice is 8 and she shares bows with her 5 year old sister. I think regular boutique bows would be nice. Maybe some stacked? But I wouldn't feel comfortable without some info first.

I think if you send pics, you can get qa better idea of what she wants.
I sent her some links, and offered to go over all the options with her, but she doesn't want to decide. I think there are just too many options for her to make a decision, and apparently she isn't trying to match anything specific. She decided she wanted some bows after seeing (and loving) a pair I made for my daughter. If she wasn't dh's family member and I didn't know her personality, I would never agree to go into this project blind. I know she is going to appreciate my efforts, even if the bows aren't exactly what she hoped. I also know she will pay me whatever price I charge no matter what. I have creative freedom, but I don't know what to do with it. lol
Old 12-04-2008, 11:01

my cousin who is 10 likes the headbands with flowers on them. She likes the ones that have floppy bows attached to them too. Then throw in some boutique bows with some bling! all girls love bling!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsm3 View Post
my cousin who is 10 likes the headbands with flowers on them. She likes the ones that have floppy bows attached to them too. Then throw in some boutique bows with some bling! all girls love bling!
I agree with the bling. Maybe something kinda funky like animal print or a solid with bling. You said she loved the bow you made your daughter, maybe do one that is similar to it with a kinda funky twist on the design or color (not too funky though). Sorry, I know I'm not much help. Good luck!!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:43

Maybe you could decide about how many you want to make, the divide up the bows from there. If you want to give her ten pieces, you could do one matching set for pig tails, a couple pinks (dark and light?), maybe a white, maybe a red and a blue, maybe like two or three funky boutique/stacked whatever, a headband with a floppy bow... you see what I mean? Make sure you've got her covered with some basics to match most everyday outfits, and some cool bows that really show your creativity. I myself like having a lot of solid colors so that my daughter always has a bow that matches her millions of outfits, but also definitely appreciate when I buy a beautifully detailed bow to match a specific dress. Just my opinion. And then when you're done, depending on how many fancy/basic bows you made, you can price. (Oh, just another idea, you might want to take into account that the holidays are coming up and throw a Christmas/Hanukkah bow in there.)
Old 12-05-2008, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsm3 View Post
What kind of headbands? Do you mean the woven ones, or just plain old fabric covered, or the stretchy kind?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:59

Thanks for the good ideas ladies! My biggest fear is that I would be making her things that are too babyish for her age. I don't want to make a spread of stuff that she would never be willing to wear. It is sounding like that is not so much the case though.

Which kind of headbands are most popular with that age group? I have never done any, except the stretchy lace convertible ones for my baby. There seem like so many different varieties out there.

Stanford_Mommy...I was actually thinking of doing 10 pieces, so you are right on target. I also completely agree about having basics to match a lot of things, as well as ones to match specific things. I make something specific to match each of my girls' fancy dresses.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:26

My dd is 7, I use the 3" bows for when I only partially pull her hair up. Otherwise, I used streamers, 5" bows on pony-o's, and korker or korker streamer combos on pony-o's for when I pull all her hair up. Also, dd likes to leave her hair down some, so I use plain lined aligator clips to pull the sides back so it's not in her face when doing school work.

Michelle and APB
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg