ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-10-2008, 05:00

Default How to double knot when using Gator-Bite?

I know I have asked about a million questions regarding the Gator-Bite. Anyway, I got it last week and tried it out one night. I am excited, but I had a hard time getting the folds to stay because I couldn't get the knot tight enough. I was using some 1/8" grosgrain ribbon I had and I could get it nice and tight, but when I tried to double knot it, it would come a little lose. How do I get it to stay tight enough to make a double knot??

Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:18

Default Re: How to double knot when using Gator-Bite?

It is hit or miss for me, which is why I went back to sewing mine most of the time But when I can get it to tie tight, then it comes out nice.

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 11-10-2008, 05:28

I was thinking about sewing it, but I didn't think I would be able to fit my needle in the Gator-Bite. Guess I will try it tonight! Thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 07:50

I use dental floss. The way I get them to stay is to completely make a loop around the center & have both tails of the floss coming out the top. When I tie the first knot it holds well & doesn't seem to let loose. I waste a lot of floss since I pull off a lot extra to wrap around but it keeps my sanity.
HTH
Beth
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton+Harlow View Post
I actually use a needle and thread (upholstery thread). It works great!

I thread the needle so it is double and tie a knot and the end. Push the needle through the center of the folded bow when it is still in the Gator Bite. Wrap the thread around the bow and pull it tight (You'll have to slip the needle through the space in the Gator Bite). Keep tension on the bow when you pull it out and it works perfectly. Then you can wrap it a few more times and add a few stitches to secure the folds.

I'm not very good at instructions, but I HTH.

This is what I do also.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:47

ok here try to visulaize this...

when you tie your shoe and you take the 2 ends and cross one under the other... that step? k

now take your gator bite and take your ribbon and loop it thru till you have the 2 ends...

now cross them like you are gonna tie your shoes...STOP... loop the side you just looped around under again... NOW
PULL!
this helps to lock the tension...now loop it again to make a knot remove from bite

here is a site that demos the knot I am talking about
Old 11-10-2008, 10:29

Thanks for the help, but I can't visualize what you mean. Thanks anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirl View Post
ok here try to visulaize this...

when you tie your shoe and you take the 2 ends and cross one under the other... that step? k

now take your gator bite and take your ribbon and loop it thru till you have the 2 ends...

now cross them like you are gonna tie your shoes...STOP... loop the side you just looped around under again... NOW
PULL!
this helps to lock the tension...now loop it again to make a knot remove from bite

here is a site that demos the knot I am talking about

Old 11-10-2008, 11:06

I use the thick elastic thread, to tie. I tie, take it out of the gator and then sew. After that, I remove the elastic. I tie the elastic in a double knot but leave one end as a loop then when you pull it it pops right off. All you have to do is then remove it. Just don't sew through the elastic.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton+Harlow View Post
I actually use a needle and thread (upholstery thread). It works great!

I thread the needle so it is double and tie a knot and the end. Push the needle through the center of the folded bow when it is still in the Gator Bite. Wrap the thread around the bow and pull it tight (You'll have to slip the needle through the space in the Gator Bite). Keep tension on the bow when you pull it out and it works perfectly. Then you can wrap it a few more times and add a few stitches to secure the folds.

I'm not very good at instructions, but I HTH.
Question...how do you get it folded first before you thread the needle through the bow? Or do you put the needle in while it is in Gator Bite before it is folded, then wrap thread around and pull to get folds, then tie off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmmm View Post
I use the thick elastic thread, to tie. I tie, take it out of the gator and then sew. After that, I remove the elastic. I tie the elastic in a double knot but leave one end as a loop then when you pull it it pops right off. All you have to do is then remove it. Just don't sew through the elastic.
I tried the elastic thread, but it would slip before I took it off the Gator Bite. How do you get it to double knot without it slipping?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:49

I double tie mine. I tie it once on the "top" of the bow, and then I hold it and thread the floss back through to the "bottom" of the bow. It seems that the 2nd tie helps it hold better so then I can finish the knot on the bottom of the bow.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif