Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 11-07-2008, 10:54

Default Not sure if I'm doing this correctly...

Well, I have a show comming up shortly (don't we all) and thought I'd try something new. I'm trying my hand at pony-o's since everyone seems to have luck selling them. I have been cutting and sewing ribbon for hours now, but only completed these 4. Please tell me if I'm doing them correctly, as I'd hate to continue on if I'm not!!!
Thanks ladies!!!

I'm making them with 6-10 ribbon at 16 inches length. I'm adding satin, organza and grosgrain, all different widths. I'm slightly overlapping the ribbon and sewing them with a machine. I then scrunch (for lack of a better word) and wrap the extra thread around them. Then, I'm gluing them to the band, then gluing them again with the center ribbon (wrapped around the band)
Am I leaving anything out?
Any suggestions for them to look better?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pony-0's 008.jpg (34.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg pony-0's 006.jpg (35.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg pony-0's 007.jpg (35.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg pony-0's 005.jpg (63.4 KB, 100 views)
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 11-07-2008, 11:16

Default Re: Not sure if I'm doing this correctly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahsmom View Post
I love them great job. I love your color combinations too.
Thanks!! I've got some great ones for my lighter colored ones, but they aren't completed yet... (I want to be sure I'm making them correctly first)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pony-0's 010.jpg (55.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg pony-0's 011.jpg (41.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-07-2008, 11:24

They look good! The ribbon combos looks good.

One thing I do differently sometimes is to make a knot for the center ribbon. I have alao sometimes put a button or another embellishment on the center ribbon.

I do actually sew the ribbon bunch to the pony-o since I already have the thread and needle going from gathering the ribbon.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:35

Frankly, I think these are a big pain! I use 4 7/8 ribbons and 3 3/8 ribbons, hand sew in the middle, then essentially "wrap around a pony holder and sew again, then french knot around it all. I charge $9 a piece--probably because I hate doing them so much! And actually, they sell! Go figure!

--Libby
Old 11-07-2008, 11:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanneMarie View Post
They look good! The ribbon combos looks good.

One thing I do differently sometimes is to make a knot for the center ribbon. I have alao sometimes put a button or another embellishment on the center ribbon.

I do actually sew the ribbon bunch to the pony-o since I already have the thread and needle going from gathering the ribbon.
I was thinking of adding some embelishments to the more plain ones. Thanks so much for the advice!

Quote:
Frankly, I think these are a big pain! I use 4 7/8 ribbons and 3 3/8 ribbons, hand sew in the middle, then essentially "wrap around a pony holder and sew again, then french knot around it all. I charge $9 a piece--probably because I hate doing them so much! And actually, they sell! Go figure!

--Libby
I think korkers are a pain! These are just time consuming..LOL $9 a piece? WTG!!!

Last edited by Sweet Baby Michele; 11-07-2008 at 11:40.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:41

Listen, sister, I think korkers are a pain, too!!!! For those, I get $8 a pop! Perhaps higher prices to discourage buyers--but its not working! Ugh!

--Libby
Old 11-07-2008, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeezNeezBowz View Post
Listen, sister, I think korkers are a pain, too!!!! For those, I get $8 a pop! Perhaps higher prices to discourage buyers--but its not working! Ugh!

--Libby
LOL... I won't even make the korkers anymore! Where I live, people won't pay for quality, they want cheap. So not worth my time on korkers.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:50

I hear ya...but from what I've seen and heard, people are attending craft shows more frequently (in this economy) and spending $ (particularly on items in our price points)--maybe give it another shot? Or, better yet, buy korkers wholesale from another Hip Girl and then you avoid the annoying-ness of having to make them yourself!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:47

i think you did a good job.. instid of gluing the ribbon to the pony o its best to sew it, then wrap the thread around a few times and tie off. oh yes they are a pain.. it took me 10 days to make 20 of them. each day i did something like first cut and measured ribbon then put the ribbon in color combos i wanted, next day took fabri tac and glued the ribbon in the order i wanted it, next day sewed them by hand, and blah blah the list goes on. i need to get a wood burner and a desk for my sewing machine!! i think it will be less time consuming if i have those things on hand lol.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrokendreamz View Post
i think you did a good job.. instid of gluing the ribbon to the pony o its best to sew it, then wrap the thread around a few times and tie off. oh yes they are a pain.. it took me 10 days to make 20 of them. each day i did something like first cut and measured ribbon then put the ribbon in color combos i wanted, next day took fabri tac and glued the ribbon in the order i wanted it, next day sewed them by hand, and blah blah the list goes on. i need to get a wood burner and a desk for my sewing machine!! i think it will be less time consuming if i have those things on hand lol.
I think I will sew it, under everyone advice! Thanks for the compliment. I need a woodburner as well, and my daughters desk doubles as my sewing space, so I have only a few square inches to work with!
Sponsored Links