key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-17-2008, 12:02

Default Painting Wood Plaques, Letters, Etc.?

I want to paint some wooden plaques for bow holders. I haven't painted on much other than canvas, lol. . .so my question is, do you always have to use a primer for wood? And the only paint I have is I think Liquitex acrylic. What do you all use? Those little bottles at Walmart and ACMoore, apple barrel, I think are those good? Also, do you finish with any kind of sealer or gloss? What about stencils and paint markers, do you ever use them? Haha, I need the 411 on painting!! Thanks ladies!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2008, 12:33

Default Re: Painting Wood Plaques, Letters, Etc.?

I'm sure you acrilic would work. I myself use Applebarrel and like paint. You don't have to primer the plaques, as a lot of people don't, but I personally think your pain job will look better. (I also refinish furniture for an antique store) so Primer is a must! lol
A lot of people do use stencils. I try to freehand as much as possible (so it is more unique) but if your more comfortable, by all means use a stencil!
I always put a top coat of clear finish on. I'd hate for the paint to be rubbed or scratched after all the work put into it. Plus I think it looks more professional.
I started off painting the dollar plaques from the dollar store, until I was happy with the results, them I moved up to the more sturdy for lack of a better word, plaques from Micheals.
Also, some plaques look better if you sand them first with a fine grit sandpaper, like 150 or above. The higher the number, the more fine the grit!
HTH
Jaime

HAVE FUN!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby Michele View Post
I'm sure you acrilic would work. I myself use Applebarrel and like paint. You don't have to primer the plaques, as a lot of people don't, but I personally think your pain job will look better. (I also refinish furniture for an antique store) so Primer is a must! lol
A lot of people do use stencils. I try to freehand as much as possible (so it is more unique) but if your more comfortable, by all means use a stencil!
I always put a top coat of clear finish on. I'd hate for the paint to be rubbed or scratched after all the work put into it. Plus I think it looks more professional.
I started off painting the dollar plaques from the dollar store, until I was happy with the results, them I moved up to the more sturdy for lack of a better word, plaques from Micheals.
Also, some plaques look better if you sand them first with a fine grit sandpaper, like 150 or above. The higher the number, the more fine the grit!
HTH
Jaime

HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks for all the tips!! What kind of topcoat (sealer) do you use? Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylaur View Post
Thanks for all the tips!! What kind of topcoat (sealer) do you use? Thanks again!
you want to use a primer on raw wood... otherwise your craft paint can suck into the grain and it'll seem like its taking a ton of coats to get a smooth look.

to seal just use a clear poly in your choice of finish satin, semi, gloss... you can paint it on or spray it your choice

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.