printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 10-01-2008, 03:14

Post Need help with tutu

Ok. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I'm gonna ask anyways. I'm making a tutu for my 7 yr old dd. She wants to be Cinderella for Halloween so I bought some light blue and white tulle. I'm alternating the colors on the elastic so it will kinda "flow". However, it seems as if the tutu is almost see-through. I'm not sure if I bought too light of colors or if I'm not using enough tulle or just what....I'm not completely finished with it...only done about 7 ties...so it may just be that there's not enough to tell just yet...but can anyone help me out or just give me some plain ole good advice?

Thanks.
Heather
Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2008, 03:15

Default Re: Need help with tutu

Hi
I think most turn out that way. You could try doubling up the strips
Good Luck
Old 10-01-2008, 03:57

Post Re: Need help with tutu

So here was an idea. My daughter is wearing this to her school for the Halloween party. I'm afraid that it may end up being to transparent for the school to allow it. The top of the tutu dress is pretty full and thick, but as it reaches the bottom it thins out. Should I let her wear some type of leggings, tights, or pantyhose of some sort to make the bottom not so "see-through"?

Heather
Old 10-01-2008, 04:04

I agree about doubling up the strips. And yes I definately think you should put some tights or something underneath. Heck I don't even let my daughter wear a regular dress to school without knit shorts underneath. Maybe I'm strange though, lol.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07

I would put 3 strips in each knot. That should make it pretty full, but I would still have her wear leggings or shorts under it.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:22

I think they are all see-thru like that. The one I made my DD is red(ladybug) and you can see through it. I agree with all the above PP and put on some leggings or evena pair of tights. Good Luck! Post a picture when you are done, I love seeing tutu's and tutu dresses!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:37

Post Re: Need help with tutu

Oh my gosh! I thought I had bought enough tulle, but I guess I didn't measure right. My daughter needed 38" from her chest to her ankles in order to make the tutu dress. I took that 38 times 2 and added 2 like it said to do. Came up with 78". I got my tulle from HL and got 5 yards of blue and 5 yards of white. I just got done using all of the tulle I had for it and it barely even made half of the dress. Oh Lordy, I guess I'm gonna have to go back to HL and get some more. I guess this time I better get 8 yards of each. LOL

Heather
Old 10-01-2008, 11:21

I know this sounds off but if you want a really thick full poofy tutu dress I always go by needing a yard per inch. I made a tutu dress with an 18" waist band and needed just a bit under 17 yards of tulle and this is how it turned out

Now that tutu dress wasn't for that little girl, and it wasn't done at time of photo, but you get a general idea.

I can help you out the best way I can if you have any other questions.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceyunne View Post
I know this sounds off but if you want a really thick full poofy tutu dress I always go by needing a yard per inch. I made a tutu dress with an 18" waist band and needed just a bit under 17 yards of tulle and this is how it turned out

Now that tutu dress wasn't for that little girl, and it wasn't done at time of photo, but you get a general idea.

I can help you out the best way I can if you have any other questions.
Oh thats a good tip, I like it. One yard of tuller per inch! Excellent.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg