New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-21-2008, 09:15

Smile Monogrammed bows??

I love the monogrammed bows that many of you ladies make. They are so cute and classy. I'm just dying to know how to make them. Would the Brother Disney sewing machine make a decent name or initial on the ribbon? What size ribbon do you use for monogramming? 1 1/2" or ?? I'm just itching to find out. I've been wanting to purchase the Disney sewing but not sure if it will look good on the ribbon.
Thanks for any help you can give!!!
LeAnn
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 09-21-2008, 10:50

Default Re: Monogrammed bows??

I use a Bernina machine for mine, because of the other items I monogr. I have seen initials from the borther machine and it seems to work fine.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:58

I have the brother 270d, but don't use it for monogramming (only for sewing). I have the brother 8200d that I monogram with and it does fine on ribbon, but the 270 d should do fine as well. I monogram on 1 1/2" or 7/8".
Old 09-21-2008, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalw68 View Post
I'm trying this also, but my machine really doesn't like the ribbon...why type of stabilizer does everyone use?

Mine is a singer.
I have used tear away medium weight, but I prefer the sticky back stabilizer. The sticky back really holds the ribbon in place and the edges don't seem to pull as bad. With the sticky back you might have some stabilizer to show on the back/underneath side. Be careful not to tug on the ribbon too much(when removing the stabilizer) as you don't want the edges of the ribbon to pull. I have bought some heavy weight stabilizer that you use on ball caps, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene R View Post
I have used tear away medium weight, but I prefer the sticky back stabilizer. The sticky back really holds the ribbon in place and the edges don't seem to pull as bad. With the sticky back you might have some stabilizer to show on the back/underneath side. Be careful not to tug on the ribbon too much(when removing the stabilizer) as you don't want the edges of the ribbon to pull. I have bought some heavy weight stabilizer that you use on ball caps, but haven't tried it yet.
I use the heavy weight stabilizer for ball caps!!! I love it! I do not have a problem with the ribbon moving at all! but if it does move or you can not get the ribbon straight- you can use a tiny piece of double sided tape at the top(above the stitch line) and one on the bottom (below the stitch line) that way you can use tear away backing -I like to do this if I am stitching a long name down a couple of ribbons because I can use a larger hoop and place 3 or 4 pieces of ribbon on my 12 X 12 hoop. and I don't have to hoop the ribbon just the stabilizer...ok I have went on long enough...lol

Old 09-21-2008, 02:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
I use the heavy weight stabilizer for ball caps!!! I love it! I do not have a problem with the ribbon moving at all! but if it does move or you can not get the ribbon straight- you can use a tiny piece of double sided tape at the top(above the stitch line) and one on the bottom (below the stitch line) that way you can use tear away backing -I like to do this if I am stitching a long name down a couple of ribbons because I can use a larger hoop and place 3 or 4 pieces of ribbon on my 12 X 12 hoop. and I don't have to hoop the ribbon just the stabilizer...ok I have went on long enough...lol
Did you post about the ball cap stabilizer earlier? I bought it after reading that someone used it but couldn't remember who or if I read it on here. I haven't tried it yet. Do you use spray adhesive to hold the ribbon or do you pin it to the stabilizer?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene R View Post
Did you post about the ball cap stabilizer earlier? I bought it after reading that someone used it but couldn't remember who or if I read it on here. I haven't tried it yet. Do you use spray adhesive to hold the ribbon or do you pin it to the stabilizer?
I did post that I use it... honestly I use the double sided tape...LOL that way it is easier for me to adjust where the ribbon needs to be. and sometimes I just hoop the ribbon if I use the small hoop with that heavy weight backing it really holds the ribbon still and works great!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
I did post that I use it... honestly I use the double sided tape...LOL that way it is easier for me to adjust where the ribbon needs to be. and sometimes I just hoop the ribbon if I use the small hoop with that heavy weight backing it really holds the ribbon still and works great!
I am definetly going to try the heavy weight stabilizer. What name brand do you use? I bought what the store had; I think that it is made by Baby Lock.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:12

I use the 2x2 hoop because of the sticky stabilzer leaves a residue on the ribbons that will eventually look nasty after little fingers touch it.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif