http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/7-8-50yd-grosgrain-animal-print-combo-103114.jpg
New product--1' circle punch/paper shaper for bottle cap picture
New products--Ribbon wrapped 50mm snap clips
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/120pc-2.5-korker-assorted-.JPG

turtle embellishments--ribbon sculpture

skull rockabilly grosgrain ribbon

braided headband base

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-12-2008, 02:05

Default where do you get your ideas?

I look on here all the time for info and etc. and i see such fabulous bows, stacked bows,surround bows, how do you girls do this? i cant figure out the surround bows and im not sure how you put all your layers together. someone help me. and how do you pick all your colors going together.

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:48

Default Re: where do you get your ideas?

I know some bow makers use wire to put the layers together, some sew, I mostly use hot glue. As for ideas, I love looking on ebay to see what new things people come up with & also on etsy.com. It's inspiring to me to see other people's creations As for putting colors together, I mainly make bows to match my kids' clothing. So I put colors together that are common in their clothing -- pink/brown, pink/white, hot pink/apple green, etc.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:19

Smile Re: where do you get your ideas?

I get inspired with colors by going on to like the Gymboree website and The Childrens Place. I'm clueless when mixing colors, so this method really helps when I'm wanting a great bow for my daughter that can go with many different outfits.
As far as the surround loops go... I SUCK!!! I tried it a couple of times when I first got started, but I'll try again once things get boring, LOL.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:25

I have a hard time putting colors together as well but if you go to the ribbon retreat they have sets of colors put together for you. They also have the M2MG sets as well. I think it is great for people just starting out.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:41

go to the library and check out a book on color theory... get a color wheel from Hobby Lobby/Joannes/Michaels...

then take your color wheel to the stores or your daughters closet... gymboree...walmart... anywhere... look at the prints and match the colors in the designs... look at how they relate on your color wheel... then you will get a better grasp on how colors mesh together.

it will give you a better understanding what colors go together and why.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:48

I sit down with a notebook and a pen and brainstorm.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53

Thanks for the ideas and help. i do check out ebay to get ideas and i have been able to come up with some bows. so maybe stacking the bows isnt as hard as im making it. i do have a color wheel , thatll be a big help thanks to all. once i get some pics ill post them.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:35

I try and match to the stores that are local around here. That way I know the bows will be sold. Clothing is my biggest color help.

As for ideas- sometimes I dream about bows, or try to make one thing and it turns into another. You just never know!
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg