Ribbon Slides--for 3/8' Ribbons 10pc 1/4' Birch Wood Dowel Rods For Korkers 20pc Glue Stick For Hair Bows, Hair Clips, Crafts Wood Burning Tool With 4 Tips--For Sealing Ribbon Ends French Barrettes-Silver 40pc Pastel Goody Ouchless No Metal Small Pony'Os-3.5',2MM Thick http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/tulle-tutu-orchid.jpg 6pc 1.75' Satin Rose for Scrapbooking, Hair Clips, Wedding-Combo mini-bow-tie-diy-bows-grosgrain-ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/my_ads/hip-girl-boutique-llc-twitter-100.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-24-2008, 10:49

Default Cutting and sealing ribbon ends pony o's

I have 120 pony o's to make for my niece's cheer team and I am having trouble getting the ends neat. I would love to use my wood burning tool so I can cut ans seal in one step, but the tool seems to melt the ribbon too much and it smears it so the edge of the ribbon isn't straight, but becomes a little jagged. Has anyone perfected this? TIA!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 08-24-2008, 10:54

Default Re: Cutting and sealing ribbon ends pony o's

I haven't done this but I've heard of ppl doing it with a metal ruler or something?!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:11

I do use a metal ruler, but the 3/8" ribbon is so small the wood burner kinds of pulls it alont with it. It is a bit hard to explain, but I'm hoping someone has run into this and figured something out?? Thanks!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:50

darn . what about a clip?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:14

That is kind of a pain - somethimes I get that problemon my organza ends. I would just cut them all, light a candle, and quickly run them through. I know - one more ste0p, but it works well. Then you don't have to burn yourself with a lighter!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57

Take a metal ruler or straight edge, push it down pretty hard, squooshing your ribbon between the ruler and cutting surface, then quickly cut along the edge - don't let up on the ruler! .... it might pull a tiny bit but if the burner is really hot and you're using a fine tip it's usually not all that bad.

HTH,
Sabine
Old 08-24-2008, 08:01
creativesidebows

it sounds like maybe you are using an odd tip on your wood burner??? I've never had it "pull" the ribbon. Are you using the tip that resembles the point on an exacto knife? IMO the rest of the tips that come with the wood burner are useless. Also make sure your burner has been on for several minutes before you use it so it's good and hot.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativesidebows View Post
it sounds like maybe you are using an odd tip on your wood burner??? I've never had it "pull" the ribbon. Are you using the tip that resembles the point on an exacto knife? IMO the rest of the tips that come with the wood burner are useless. Also make sure your burner has been on for several minutes before you use it so it's good and hot.
That's the tip that I use and it works great.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:26

I have experienced the same exact thing. It did not happen every time i cut the 3/8, but it happened a little too often. I just cut higher up on the ribbon to remove the funky edge. For the life of me i couldn't figure out why it was happening or even how to prevent it. So i guess i'm not much help, but wanted you to know your not alone when it comes to that problem. If you figure it out i would love to hear about it. Good luck.

Friends are God's way of taking care of us.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:27

thanks everyone, I am going to try the exacto tip, I do have a different one on there.
Sponsored Links