Pendant Satin Large Star Flowers Acrylic Rhinestone Disney Bottle Caps 2pc Flatback Resin--Ballet Shoes Hairbows & Hair Clips 1pc Hip Girl Hair Bow Clips--Pink Ballet Shoes 1pc 5.5' Camelia Hair Flower--Hot Pink http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/cherry-blossom-ads.jpg 6pc Large Silk Fairy Hair Flowers--Combo

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-24-2008, 09:05

Default Making your own korker ribbon?

Last night I came across this website that shows how to make your own korker ribbon and bow. I tried to bake the ribbon in the oven like she says and I baked it for 45 min @ 250 degrees and it still never stiffened up. Should I be treating the ribbon with something first before baking it? The instructions I used are in the link below. Thanks
Just Another Army Wife: Korker Hairbow Tutorial!
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 08-24-2008, 09:09

Default Re: Making your own korker ribbon?

I dont think you do, that is odd it didnt stiffen maybe try an hour and see how that works?? Did it curl at all?? or it just fell out as soon as you took it off??
Old 08-24-2008, 09:12

It is loosely curled but it won't stay curled. I used 3/8 inch grosgrain ribbon. Does it matter that I have a gas oven?
Old 08-24-2008, 09:28

Thanks. Those instructions say some people achieve luck with spraying fabric stiffiner on it first. Has anyone tried this? I am afraid the ribbon will go up in flames. lol
Old 08-24-2008, 09:41

I don't make a ton of korkers, but when I do I don't have any problems. I basically the same thing your instructions say. I have a gas oven. I've never had to bake it for more than 20 min to get the ribbon to curl. I only spray it to stiffen it after I've made my project with the ribbon. If it's not curling, or the curl comes right out, then something is wrong. You are using polyester ribbon, right?

Last edited by Wendy523; 08-24-2008 at 09:43.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:47

wanted to add, spraying it before baking it is fine too. It won't go up in flames I've done that. I just don't like it so stiff until I am done with it, but then again, I don't do korker bows.

Wendy My Etsy Shop

Old 08-24-2008, 10:09

I think my problem might be the ribbon. I am using grosgrain and maybe it isn't polyester. It is curling just loosely. I will also try spraying it with stiffener. Thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 10:40

lori, when i kork mine, i do not kork with the gaps (as per the link you gave, she korked with a gap). It'll be like next to each other, literally. No gaps.

ETA: I also kork it tightly around the dowel. Kinda like pull (ribbon), turn (the dowel), pull (ribbon). Kinda like when you weave a headband, it has to be tight. It's the same for me when I kork.

I'm not all that. I just like the last part.

Last edited by cynthia; 08-24-2008 at 10:45.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia View Post
lori, when i kork mine, i do not kork with the gaps (as per the link you gave, she korked with a gap). It'll be like next to each other, literally. No gaps.

ETA: I also kork it tightly around the dowel. Kinda like pull (ribbon), turn (the dowel), pull (ribbon). Kinda like when you weave a headband, it has to be tight. It's the same for me when I kork.
Thanks, I will try that. I tried the ribbon stiffener and it really helped but it turned my white dots on the ribbon yellow .
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorijoz View Post
Thanks, I will try that. I tried the ribbon stiffener and it really helped but it turned my white dots on the ribbon yellow .
I don't think that's from the starch. You need to bake printed ribbon at a lower temp or else it will mess up your dots.

Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.