New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

View Poll Results: Making an item and not buying the instructions?
It is rude! 1 0.78%
That is great you can learn from looking at item! 88 68.22%
Don't care either way! 40 31.01%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2008, 01:14

Default Re: Instruction sellers?

how would anyone know if you bought instructions or not if you make a new item?

and really, whats it to them?
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 08-25-2008, 02:11

Nope, not a stupid questionat all. I wondered the same thing as I don't have any money to buy instructions, so looking at something is the only way I can figure out how to do something! A couple things have made me throw my hands up & then look in the couch cushions hoping to find money so I could buy instructions. Then dd's need for school clothes prevails, & I give up for now.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:15

If it is something that I sell instructions for, then no.

But if I don't sell the instructions for a really unique idea, or if someone takes the idea and doesn't even try put their own spin on it, yes that bothers me. And I'm not talking about items involving common ribbon folds or techniques. I'm talking the really unusual or detailed stuff. Where there is absolutely no doubt that it was copied.

It's been said that any good crafter can figure out things by looking at them. BUT (key point) they have to see the new idea first.

If you are blessed with the ability to duplicate something with no instruction, then congratulations, have fun, and enjoy your abilities.

But if you are blessed with the talent to come up with the new ideas, then I respect your talent, and believe you should reap the rewards of your gift and hard work when you create something unique.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepinkladybug View Post
If it is something that I sell instructions for, then no.

But if I don't sell the instructions for a really unique idea, or if someone takes the idea and doesn't even try put their own spin on it, yes that bothers me. And I'm not talking about items involving common ribbon folds or techniques. I'm talking the really unusual or detailed stuff. Where there is absolutely no doubt that it was copied.

It's been said that any good crafter can figure out things by looking at them. BUT (key point) they have to see the new idea first.

If you are blessed with the ability to duplicate something with no instruction, then congratulations, have fun, and enjoy your abilities.

But if you are blessed with the talent to come up with the new ideas, then I respect your talent, and believe you should reap the rewards of your gift and hard work when you create something unique.
So your bow instructions then, those were all your ideas. None learned from other instructions or inspired by other bows you've seen?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmom03b View Post
So your bow instructions then, those were all your ideas. None learned from other instructions or inspired by other bows you've seen?

No, no, I've been inspired by other people, and I make many designs that are free, but I would try not to directly copy someone else exactly. If there is a technique I want to try, I would see what I could do to change it up and do something new with it.

I'm talking things like my skull, or violin sculptures. The violin I sell instructions for, so I would expect to see some out there. But the skull is pretty unique and new, I've never seen one out there, so I would hope people would respect my creations enought to not run out and copy it exactly the next day. Now if someone could figure out how to fold the ribbon to make the same shape and put it together as a different face, (invert the nose add a beard and you could make Santa's or something.) Then, that's awesome that they can figure it out. I'm not bothered by the technique sharing. Plenty of people on here have pm'ed asking for help or ideas, or even design "secrets" . And can attest that I've been more than happy to help out.

It hurts when people flippantly acknowledge that they send copies of my instructions to everyone they know because there is no respect for my work. Apparently they feel I don't deserve or need to get paid for my ideas. And have told me this.

I just think there should be a level of respect for people, not only as people and crafters, but also because we're all hardworking moms, grandmas, sisters, aunts, friends, daughters etc. trying to make a living.

I started selling the instructions because I thought more people could benefit from them. The clips are fun to make. It makes me happy to see someone else do so well and be happy with their work. This is a big big world. There's lots of room, and this is supposed to be fun for everyone.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:23

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions. I bought Lynn's rose instructions because she does a beautiful job, and trades a few sets with other crafters, but out of all of them, I've only gotten around making one.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:43

Smile Re: Instruction sellers?

I say more power to you, if you can make an item without instructions! I don't think it's rude in the least. Instructions are there for those who need a step by step visual... like me
Old 08-26-2009, 07:14

the only thing I dislike is when people request me to copy someone elses work. All the work we do to sell is intellectual property and I hate that ppl want me to copy something that someone else as made especially when they really only want it cheaper. I dont mind if ppl look at my work and try to make it, imitation is the sincerest for of flattery after all! but I want to make things the way I make things now how another designer makes things. I also dont like when ppl share instructions they have purchased with others. That just aint right in my opinion
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39

I sell instructions.

I find it totally fine if you don't buy my instructions, just look at my pictures and you figure it out by yourself. I am glad about that. I never care about that too much. I am even too lazy to watermark my photos LOL.

I will be very upset however if you look at my pics, and make something similar, then make instructions about how to do it and sell it as your own design or post it free :-)
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn* View Post
I sell instructions.

I find it totally fine if you don't buy my instructions, just look at my pictures and you figure it out by yourself. I am glad about that. I never care about that too much. I am even too lazy to watermark my photos LOL.

I will be very upset however if you look at my pics, and make something similar, then make instructions about how to do it and sell it as your own design or post it free :-)
LOL! I'd like to see some one try to look at your ribbon rose and make it. I'm the queen of "look at it and make it" and I looked at your ribbon rose for I swear almost a year and there was no figuring it out. Finally, I broke down and bought the instructions and I tell you, there was absolutely no way I was going to figure that out with your instructions....I love instructions like yours!