http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-19-2008, 05:48

Default Flowers on clips or headbands

I attached some flowers to some clippies and to some nylon headbands and all of the flowers are flat and droopy. I took out the middle part of the flower and sewed the layers together and then glued on a rhinestone to cover the hole in the middle. I think by taking out the middle part of the flower has now made it not want to stand up. Does that make sense?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2008, 05:59

Default Re: Flowers on clips or headbands

I glue mine on alligator clips. I take them apart & glue each individual piece back together (all pieces minus the plastic part). I even spare them w/ stiff stuff & lay something flat over them (like a book) so that they do not stick up too much. HTH!!

I have some flowers (not many) on our site. You can go to Slings and Things for your Modern Babe, then go to bows, fun extras, & then to Beanies/headbands/flowers. It'll show what I've done. They are all attached to alligator clips.

Best of luck!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
I attached some flowers to some clippies and to some nylon headbands and all of the flowers are flat and droopy. I took out the middle part of the flower and sewed the layers together and then glued on a rhinestone to cover the hole in the middle. I think by taking out the middle part of the flower has now made it not want to stand up. Does that make sense?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I'd like to see what others say as well! I know people do take them all apart, but the ones I have made so far: I cut off the stem and pull the plastic part off the back. I snip the stub of stem that's left, and glue a piece of ribbon to cover that up. I then glue a few of the petals to eachother deep down in the center. . .to make sure it's stays together. Then I attach I lined alli clip. Make sense?!? HTH!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:27

I always take mine apart as well and glue them back together so I know each of the layers are fastened together. I also always take out the plastic bits in the center so they will lie a little flatter, but that is personal preference . As for the clips, I use all different kinds to attach the flowers to depending on what I am using them for.

ETA - Do you think you might have glued or sewn them a little too far out? Sometimes the petals will 'fluff' up a little better when you use a little less glue and keep it more towards just the center of the flower - other times the flowers themselves just don't work as well on headbands, you could try doubling up on the petals to make a 'fuller' look. Sometimes I use 1 1/2 flowers on my flower headbands so they are a little fuller. Just some ideas - HTH!

Sara

Last edited by Sara; 08-19-2008 at 06:32.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:05

Can I also ask - how do you prevent one side of the flower sitting up when you attach them to an alligator clip?

I've done a few and where the flower sits on top of the pinch part of the clip, it sits higher than the rest of the flower.

Any tips??

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44

you can flip the alligator clip upside down to avoide the "hump" on one side (Oh, btw, Happy Hump Day! LOL)
Flipping it upside down and attaching decorations to the bottom/flat side of the clip also works great for lollipops or ribbon sculptures, but a lot of folks who will buy the clips might think they're getting a "reject" lolol, so make sure it's noted.

HTH,
Sabine
Old 08-20-2008, 03:07

But if you flip the allie clip upside down - wouldn't it dig into the little one's head? Or are you saying you just do this if you are attaching it to a headband?

I too take my flowers all apart and glue back together. I did poppies recently, and to get them to stand up a bit more, I glued the petals a little more vertically, it that makes any sense. Then they aren't so flat - as you don't really see poppies that way.
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.