http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/lined-alligator-clips-with-teeth.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-rainbow-chevron-ribbon.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/1-25-satin-DIY-mini-bow-combo-1.jpg
new product--crochet hat

1.5' 7/8' Zebra New Colors

New products--peony new colors

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-17-2008, 04:28

Default Re: Cutting Korkers With Wood Burner?

I've cut them 2 ways with my woodburner. I've mostly used my little metal ruler, holding it between my L thumb and middle finger with the ruler perpendicular to the ribbon (not lying flat) and my index finger on the other side of where I'm cutting to flatten out a small space. Then I can swipe the woodburner really fast over the ribbon right up against the ruler.

But a week ago, I was making korkers and didn't have my ruler handy, so I used an alligatore clip instead. It was so much easier. I put the clip right on the edge of where I wanted to cut and flattened out a little area to the left of the clip, with my left index finger. I just swiped the woodburner up against the clip, and it was done. So, so, so easy this way, and you don't have as much of a chance of burning yourself.

Hth!
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:36

Okay, I cook my korkers at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, then leave them in the oven until everything cools. You said 35-40 minutes ~ what temp? I have read so many different temps and times, I just wonder what everyone else uses????
Old 08-17-2008, 05:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by toifrogs View Post
I've cut them 2 ways with my woodburner. I've mostly used my little metal ruler, holding it between my L thumb and middle finger with the ruler perpendicular to the ribbon (not lying flat) and my index finger on the other side of where I'm cutting to flatten out a small space. Then I can swipe the woodburner really fast over the ribbon right up against the ruler.

But a week ago, I was making korkers and didn't have my ruler handy, so I used an alligatore clip instead. It was so much easier. I put the clip right on the edge of where I wanted to cut and flattened out a little area to the left of the clip, with my left index finger. I just swiped the woodburner up against the clip, and it was done. So, so, so easy this way, and you don't have as much of a chance of burning yourself.

Hth!
Now that's the NEAT-est idea!...I like that..lol... If ONLY I love korkers..

I'm not all that. I just like the last part.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygrammy View Post
Okay, I cook my korkers at 300 degrees for 20 minutes, then leave them in the oven until everything cools. You said 35-40 minutes ~ what temp? I have read so many different temps and times, I just wonder what everyone else uses????
I cook mine at 275 - I haven't ever tried higher heat. I love the idea of using the alligator clips! And I need anything to help me from burning myself. I seem to be prone to that I'm a big fan of korkers!

Meghan
Old 09-15-2008, 04:27

Mine were doing that too, until I figured out to let the korker bounce back as soon as I had cut it. Otherwise it cools flat and stays flat. So quick swipe to cut and seal then let go right away!!! Oh, and I cut mine straight across. I just like the way it looks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldanaaa View Post
I need some tips for cutting my korkers with my wood burner...Do you cut the ribbon at an angle, or straight across? I've tried both but I think it's making the end of the korker straighten out a little...I hope this makes since...If not I can post up some pictures!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by toifrogs View Post
I

Hth!
That is what I use to cut with my woodburner. I use the alligator clips. I have an old pan that I keep turned upside down to cut on then I put the alligator clip on the end and let it hang on the end of the pan and then slice real quick. Works perfectly.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:11

Help! I can't keep my light color ribbons from turning brown when I cut them with the wood burning tool. No problem with dark colors (I guess because you can't see it). I am using alligator clips and putting it on a metal pan. I am also swiping fast. Anyone else having this problem? Purchased wood buring tool at Hobby Lobby.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:25

Thanks, looks like another trip to Walmart tonight!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaint View Post
Help! I can't keep my light color ribbons from turning brown when I cut them with the wood burning tool. No problem with dark colors (I guess because you can't see it). I am using alligator clips and putting it on a metal pan. I am also swiping fast. Anyone else having this problem? Purchased wood buring tool at Hobby Lobby.

Are you wiping the burned ribbon off the wood burner tip in between cuts? I have to do that or I get dark spots. Just use a damp washcloth or I use a damp paper towel so I can throw it away after wards. I wipe the tip after each cut.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
Are you wiping the burned ribbon off the wood burner tip in between cuts? I have to do that or I get dark spots. Just use a damp washcloth or I use a damp paper towel so I can throw it away after wards. I wipe the tip after each cut.
I use steel wool to clean off my blade,
Sponsored Links