New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:06

Default Re: OK, I'm just not getting this!!

I totally agree that it just takes practice. My first bows looked like total crap! You just have to keep trying. Good luck on trying the pinwheel! I still can't do that one very well. I actually use a cheat method for those and mine don't have any tails. You take two separate pices of ribbon that are the same length. Sew the ends of one piece together then do the same for the other. You'll have two circles now. You then take a needle and thread and weave the needle through the middle of the first ribbon, then the second. Don't pull the needle all the way through yet. Once you've woven each piece you pinch the centers together. It should make a nice center crease. Then, while still holding the center tightly, pull the needle through and wrap the thread around the middle of the bow 4 or 5 times and tie it off. The ends that you sewed up at the beginning should be in the middle so they can be hidden with whatever center you decide to use. Keep practicing and don't give up! You'll get it!!!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 08-11-2008, 06:12

You can purchase the 3D instructions from Michelle. It's under the 'paid subscriptions' thread. Well worth it!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:36

Ok have to put my 2 cents in and I'm so not trying to start anything. I do not at all think that she meant to offend anyone. How many times have us ladies gone to a craft show and saw something (maybe not a bow or a great sewn boutique outfit) and thought...hmmm I can make that it can't be that hard right? I mean I'm not that crafty but when I saw those hillbilly wind chimes (think coat hanger,twine, fish hook, and empty beer cans, and a simple painted sign that reads "Gone Fishing" ) well darn it how hard can THAT be?

I think we are just more sensitive because the market is slow and there are people out there who think "Wow that price is crazy, I can make that and make it better" or worse you get ones who think they are good and sell them and the ends are frayed and clips aren't lined etc and we all get a bad rep. I DO NOT THINK this was her intention. She admitted it was harder than she thought it was at first.

I will also say this too, if it were me I'd take more time "perfecting the craft" before jumping on to the craft show band wagon. Why not try a few simple clips and korkers (I hate making them) to take to the craft show, something you are familiar with and wait a little longer for the big bows and the more difficult stuff. Good luck and welcome to the group.

I hope I didn't upset anyone.

Kimmi! Find LSB on Facebook
Old 08-11-2008, 07:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldelzer View Post
This is the problem with this situation: You jumped the gun and started the business side before learning the technique side. You committed yourself to a show before even knowing how to make a pinwheel?

The market is flooded with bowmakers, most of whom are just like you. They don't take their time to become good before they start selling. This is horrible for the market. It creates a bad image and it devalues the good product.

I think you will find that craft shows are a tough road to hoe when it comes to earning money. Expenses are higher than ever and you can show up and there be 4 other bow makers (if you are lucky). People don't spend money like they used to.

I make and sell 1,000's of bows. So, yes, I tend to find posts like this offensive. I'm sure you are a nice person, but you need to do research before taking action.
OK, wow - my post was NOT meant to offend anyone! If you are a good bow maker then a beginner like myself will not affect you in any way.

Like I said, I WANT to start a side business doing bows and such because I ALREADY do some of the easier ones, as well as tutu's for my daughter. Yes, I can make some of the easier bows but I know that in order to sell them to other people then I will have to perfect the craft...like others on this board.

That's why I posted my thread - to get advice, not to get berated. I have gotten some great advice, which I greatly appreciate.

While you take offense to my post, I myself take offense to the comment of the market being flooded with people "just like you" - people like what? People who are just now starting out and learning...just like you did when you started. So if my post offended you that bad you shouldn't have commented. I am here to get advice.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlismommy View Post
Ok have to put my 2 cents in and I'm so not trying to start anything. I do not at all think that she meant to offend anyone. How many times have us ladies gone to a craft show and saw something (maybe not a bow or a great sewn boutique outfit) and thought...hmmm I can make that it can't be that hard right? I mean I'm not that crafty but when I saw those hillbilly wind chimes (think coat hanger,twine, fish hook, and empty beer cans, and a simple painted sign that reads "Gone Fishing" ) well darn it how hard can THAT be?

I think we are just more sensitive because the market is slow and there are people out there who think "Wow that price is crazy, I can make that and make it better" or worse you get ones who think they are good and sell them and the ends are frayed and clips aren't lined etc and we all get a bad rep. I DO NOT THINK this was her intention. She admitted it was harder than she thought it was at first.

I will also say this too, if it were me I'd take more time "perfecting the craft" before jumping on to the craft show band wagon. Why not try a few simple clips and korkers (I hate making them) to take to the craft show, something you are familiar with and wait a little longer for the big bows and the more difficult stuff. Good luck and welcome to the group.

I hope I didn't upset anyone.
No, you didn't offend me in ANY way! I appreciate your advice!

The reason that I'm going to the show is because my friend already has a booth with a couple other girls and invited me along because she knows I'm just starting out and thought it would be a good way for me to get ideas, meet people and see what to expect, etc.

I have taken a lot of time making the character bows and small clippies, and have worked on those until I got them down perfectly. I have sold a few already and am getting requests for more every day.

I just wanted to make sure I had one concept down (characters, bugs, etc) before I moved onto the next type (boutique, pinwheel, etc).

I want mine to be perfect and I have taken time to perfect the ones I am doing for now...it's just when I moved onto the 'regular' bows, I was having trouble and thought this would be the perfect place to get advice and for the most part, people have been great. I think I'm better off researching on my own, however I GREATLY appreciate all of the positive advice and comments that I have gotten!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:36

I agree with everyone it took me FOUR years before I felt comfortable seling my products... and I still second guess myself and wonder if I up to par. My advice take the items to the sale that you are really good at and continue to practice the other. You want the first bows that you sale to be really good becasue this is what is going to bring your customers back. I think it is half & half. Half you are born with and half a skill that you can teach yourself. But neither will develop without tons and tons and did I mention tons of practice. hang in there and keep practicing.
http://heavenlyhairbows.flyingcart.com/
Old 08-11-2008, 07:39

You're always welcome to post pictures for some CC.

Bows, Etc.
Handmade hair bows, clips, and headbands for all ages.

Kumihimo Woven Headband Instructions now available in my Etsy shop!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyhairbows View Post
I agree with everyone it took me FOUR years before I felt comfortable seling my products... and I still second guess myself and wonder if I up to par. My advice take the items to the sale that you are really good at and continue to practice the other. You want the first bows that you sale to be really good becasue this is what is going to bring your customers back. I think it is half & half. Half you are born with and half a skill that you can teach yourself. But neither will develop without tons and tons and did I mention tons of practice. hang in there and keep practicing.
Thanks for the advice! Yes, that's what I'm planning on doing at the show I'm going to - take a ton of the baby clippies and character bows and also tutu's and bow hangers that I've made.

Practice does make perfect! Some of the things I thought were impossible when I first started I can now churn out in no time...I work 8-5 (or longer) and between my hubby, 2-year old and school full-time I haven't had much time to practice but luckily my husband is very supportive and doesn't gripe when I'm up every now and then till 2 or 3 in the morning messing with it!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2garnett View Post
You're always welcome to post pictures for some CC.
Thanks Jen! I thought about doing that earlier, but after a couple of the replies I've gotten I'm a little scared to...ha! I have been emailing some of my pictures to my friend who makes them and she's been helping out with the constructive criticism alot!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferw75 View Post
So I thought I was going to be smart and start making and selling bows and clippies..."can't be that hard right?"

I download and print off page after page after freakin' PAGE of instructions on all sorts of cute bows - and half of them I just can't make! I have got the character bows down (princesses, etc) but it's the "normal" bows I'm having trouble with! Is anyone in the same boat or have any advice??

A friend is letting me come with her to a craft show next month and I have got to figure out how to make my bows look like the pictures! I'm terrible with a needle and thread, so maybe this is part of the problem? Does it just take practice, or some special tricks and tips?

thanks!!
Have you tried buying good instructions like Tricks of The Trade at The Ribbon Retreat? The bowmaker that come with it really, really helped get my pinwheel bows to look crisper. I don't care for the boutique bow that it gives, but now I'm working on the twisted boutique....That's my goal....I'll be happy then!