new products--lined 30mm snap clips--printed grosgrain ribbon
Offray Dr. Seuss Craft Ribbon: 18 Feet 7/8 Inch Satin Fabric Craft Ribbon For Gift Package Wrapping,Hairbow Clips,Sewing,Wedding,Scrapbook,Boy Girl Baby Shower-(2x3yd Thing One Thing Two New Fish)
New products--paper bow cards
New product--clear shopping bags
New products--7/8' peace sign ribbon
Hipgirl 36 Yards 1/8" Satin Fabric Ribbon Set, Double Face For Gift Package Wrapping, Double Bar Barrette Clip Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(18x2yd Boutique Ribbons)
new products--gymbo dot grosgrain mini bows-diy
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/20pc-korker-ribbon-combo.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-05-2008, 04:27

Question Best glue and scissors??

Thank you guys so much for the advice, I'm going to go and find a nice gingher scissor soon

As for the glue, now I"m wondering what everyone's favorite glue gun is to make baby hairclips/ sculptures/ and hairbows.

Hi! I am new to this and was wondering what is the best way to glue for snap clips and the alligator clips? It is hot glue? I have fabric tac. Does that work?

Also, what is the best glue for those sculpture ribbons, such as ladybugs, or princesses?

Last, what is the best way to cut ribbons? Just any shapr scissors I find in stores or does fabric scissors work better?

Thank you!

Last edited by smoochieepooh; 08-06-2008 at 01:51.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 08-05-2008, 05:31

Default Re: Best glue and scissors??

I don't make snap clips so I don't know but I use hot glue on my clips.

As for sculptures, I tend to follow the instructions. I prefer hot glue bc it dries quickly.

And I use fabric scissors and embroidery scissors.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52

My hubby bought me a pair of gingher scissors.....I let them sit in the bag for nearly two months because they were so expensive I thought I should take them back.....well I broke them out this week and pulled them out....and it's night and day between my other scissors. It was so hard to cut really straight with my other scissors (a pair of fabric scissors about 20 years old) and get really good v cuts...well now it's a whole new world! They are worth every penny!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmmm View Post
My hubby bought me a pair of gingher scissors.....I let them sit in the bag for nearly two months because they were so expensive I thought I should take them back.....well I broke them out this week and pulled them out....and it's night and day between my other scissors. It was so hard to cut really straight with my other scissors (a pair of fabric scissors about 20 years old) and get really good v cuts...well now it's a whole new world! They are worth every penny!!!

I wholeheartedly agree - Gingher scissors are the best! I bought myself 3 pairs (!) around Christmas/New Years using Michael's 50% off coupons and they were a great investment. If you plan to use them for ribbon only, I recommend the lightweight (plastic handle) Gingher dressmaker shears and embroidery scissors. I also bought the heavier (solid metal) dressmaker shears which are designed to cut through multiple layers of heavy fabric. They work best when you are cutting on a table, which I rarely do for ribbon - I cut ribbon "in mid-air" basically, from rolls in various positions and the metal Gingher scissors are a bit heavy for that. The embroidery scissors are great for ribbon sculptures, clippies, other small projects, etc.

HTH,

MichelleB
Old 08-06-2008, 12:47

Now to your glue question. A lot of people use hot glue. I have had a hard time with it. Maybe I just need to get a different glue gun. I have one that is non-forgiving (ad-tech). I can't fix if I've messes up and I have a cheapo that the gule comes apart too easily. The fabric tac is good, except it makes the ribbon stiff and only seems to glue well to the ribbon and not metal. I am going to buy some different gle and see if I can find something else that works well. If you seach on the threads, there is also posts about different types of glue guns that people like. Hope this helps...good luck.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:50

Thank you guys so much for the advice, I'm going to go and find a nice gingher scissor soon

As for the glue, now I"m wondering what everyone's favorite glue gun is to make baby hairclips/ sculptures/ and hairbows.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39

After going to Joann's and looking at the glue for half an hour...I ended up buying one of the surebonder glue guns. I read that a lot of people on this forum like that one. so we'll see.

There was a post on here about double sided tape. Someone said they use the one with the red back? Anyone know of this product. I really want to try the double sided sticky tape, but I want one that holds up!!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57

I think that was me with the red sticky back tape from a scrapbooking store.......I did try it on my clips, and it seemed to stay okay, but not good enough to sell in my opinion. I bought that tape last summer and used it on little dolls to make no sew hems on their dresses, and you can not pull it apart. Maybe it worked better because there was no metal involved or it was just newer. (it is sold as a product that adheres crushed beads to pens....sorry I can't remember the name, but I'll look for it) I know there is a double sided tape they sell just for fabric. There was a picture posted here by a member but she removed it. I'll search and see if I can find it and then we can ask if anyone has tried it. HTH
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg