key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-05-2008, 12:02

Default Re: please help - I'm hurting myself

Between the lighter & the glue gun, my fingers are always burnt. Only a couple really bad blisters though. But I have pretty much defected to E-6000, and I will get a woodburner as soon as money allows. I'm tired of hurting too.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:15

Whew! I'm glad some else had this problem. My thumb was covered in blisters, but I was too embarrassed to post about it. I can't wait to get my woodburner, but until then I use a lighter with a long tip. It is like the ones mentioned above.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:16

If you don't get a wood burner, get a new lighter! I have several that I just "click" on- I had the ones where you have to "roll" them to get them on, and after several bows, I was ready to cry. I came across some at a gas station where all I had to do was push down on the button, and they are SOOOOO much better. I have about 10 of them, and the best part is that they are refillable.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:35
creativesidebows

wood burner at michaels is about $7.80 with your 40% off coupon. you only use 1 tip so you don't need the fancy one with a bunch of different tips in the package. I also use the back of an old cookie sheet to cut on!

When your wood burner is off and TOTALLY cool my hubby discovered you can use a piece of sandpaper and srub off all the yucky stuff that accumulates. Also when I've got it on and I'm using it I keep an old rag nearby and tap the woodburner on it before every cut. It takes all the black junk off so it doesn't end up on your ribbon.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00

I just got a wood burner too- I can not remember if it was here or somewhere else I saw they use glass to cut on- So....I took an old picture frame put a piece of grid paper in it also I used the ruler ribbon LOL and put it in the frame and then used the glue gun to glue the wood burner base to one corner of the frame- It works really well and it was free to make!

Last edited by homeschoolmom; 11-12-2008 at 10:39.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
I just got a wood burner too- I can not remember if it was here or somewhere else I saw they use glass to cut on- So....I took an old picture frame put a piece of grid paper in it also I used the ruler ribbon LOL and put it in the frame and then used the glue gun to glue the wood burner base to one corner of the frame- It works really well and it was free to make!
Thanks for the picture I was wondering if it would work to keep the frame on there, and how smart of you to put a ruler underneath too We have a $3 frame w/ glass in our PX. I will probably get that.

I just ordered one from Amazon.com - the Weller WSB25HK 8 Piece 25 Watt Short Barrel Hobby Iron Kit. I hope that is a good one. It had two good reviews.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:09

fyi, just be careful when using picture frame glass. It is NOT tempered glass and could shatter from the high heat. A small piece of tempered glass or a glass cutting mat doesn't cost all that much and would be much safer for you and those in the room with you.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by toifrogs View Post
fyi, just be careful when using picture frame glass. It is NOT tempered glass and could shatter from the high heat. A small piece of tempered glass or a glass cutting mat doesn't cost all that much and would be much safer for you and those in the room with you.
OHHH My! Thanks....going out to get tempered glass cut to size of frame...lol
Old 08-05-2008, 04:37

i use a wood burner and cut and seal at the same time I love it I bought both the wood burner and the cutting board at walmart for cheap definitely worth the investment
Old 08-05-2008, 05:57

I use fraycheck to do my korkers.
Sponsored Links