key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-24-2008, 09:48

Default tutu question

I've made several non-sew tutus, and I always just scrunch the pieces of tulle together on the band to get as much on as I can. But it still comes out see through and not as full as I'd like. How do you ladies make all your layers? Do you 'tie' on 2 pieces at a time? Or do you go around once and put more on top of the tulle you already have on? I'm confused! But I want more layers and a fuller tutu! Help please! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58

Default Re: tutu question

I usually layer a few strips of tulle together & tie them as 1 knot. I made one for my daughter who is 3 & used 3 pieces layered in 2 colors & it was almost too full for her tiny little self. It is kind of trial & error to get the fluff you want.
HTH
Beth
Old 07-24-2008, 10:01

thanks! yeah it just dawned on me this morning to tie multiple pieces on as one knot! I just wasn't thinking before, I guess. Thanks! I posted pics of my usual type of tutu in the hairbow gallery. I'll attempt a fluffier one later and post new pics!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:30

Can't wait to see the new one. I have only made them with a single layer.

www.divadudsboutique.com
Old 07-24-2008, 03:04

the adult ones I make are 8 layers and kids are 4 layers
Old 07-24-2008, 04:40

Okay, take one and tie down in normal way, do this twice and then do two so they are tied going up. So two doing down, and two going up. Do this all over the tutu and you will have a super poofy tutu. It is harder to wrap ribbon around these, but honestly they are so poofy that the band will not be seen. My daughter looks like a little ball of poof in hers I haven't tried doing more than one layer at once, I will have to try it. That seems like a lot of tulle to me.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeymama View Post
Okay, take one and tie down in normal way, do this twice and then do two so they are tied going up. So two doing down, and two going up. Do this all over the tutu and you will have a super poofy tutu. It is harder to wrap ribbon around these, but honestly they are so poofy that the band will not be seen. My daughter looks like a little ball of poof in hers I haven't tried doing more than one layer at once, I will have to try it. That seems like a lot of tulle to me.
I have not tried this way yet. Are you still able to wrap the waistband in satin?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:52

I have one wrapped in satin, but I am not crazy the way it looks. It was hard to wrap, but after a while, I just stopped wrapping the ones that I made super poofy because, if you try it, you will see they are major poof and you can't see the band. If I do one that they are all down on, I do still wrap them. Give me a few minutes and I will post a picture of the one I am working on now.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:58

Oh, shoot! DH has my car today which has my tutus that I have been working on in it....grr. When he gets home at five, I will post a picture then. I have one for about a six year old that is pink, purple, and red and also a little pink and black one for a one year old. The pink and black one is not done yet so it is not nearly as poofy it will be. Please stand by for photo.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:39

I layer two or three layers of tulle for each knot. I just did a rainbow one for my 5 month old I need to take a picture of.
Sponsored Links