key fob hardware marabou cherry-blossom-silk-hair-flower 3/8" double ruffle ribbon free tutorial-bottle caps felt circle http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/3in-spike-18pc-set.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-26-2008, 02:53

Default Re: help with cheer bows - fabric or ribbon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by intandem View Post
Ps - I am meeting with the coordinator on Monday. Wish me luck!
good luck!

Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 07-26-2008, 05:44

Remember we have only been in this business for two years in November. So it has been difficult to state when our busy season is. It looks like it starts now and lasts till December.

Yes, every bow. My husband resigned from his job last December to work with me/for me, however you want to look at it. It has helped a lot. I was a crazy person last fall. I am very much a control freak and don't like to turn over all of the steps to anyone. So I have other people who do everything else. They start them, then I fold, then they finish them. My husband is my major designer. He has some bizarre ideas.

I don't think I have a link in my signature. The site is Cheer Bows | Yella Ribbon. if anyone is curious.

By the way, for me the hair bows didn't come first. I have been in the cheerleading industry for 18 years. I coached, owned a gym, was a tumbling instructor and now a cheer mom since 1990. I learned how to make bows a few years ago. I hate making boutique bows. I admire those of you who make those beautiful stacked bows. It was not my thing. I do wish all of you breaking into this business the best. There are a LOT of teams out there. Enough to go around.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:42

I hope that in two years my cheer bows look half as nice as yours. We have a lot of local cheer groups that I would like to get business from. I am just starting out this year and hope to get more next year. Cheering is really big here.

I have to say again, your bows are absolutely gorgeous! I showed my husband your site too and he was also very impressed.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresabuck View Post
I hope that in two years my cheer bows look half as nice as yours. We have a lot of local cheer groups that I would like to get business from. I am just starting out this year and hope to get more next year. Cheering is really big here.

I have to say again, your bows are absolutely gorgeous! I showed my husband your site too and he was also very impressed.
Thank you so much. I appreciate that. One piece of advice I would give women in online businesses is to hire a good web designer. I remember I told my designer I wanted neon pink and green and I wanted a flash intro. He said "Um, let's don't do the intro. Let's get people in there spending their money. " And it was his idea to do the charcoal gray and black so the bows are the only color on the page. I think it turned out pretty great.

You're in PA? Aren't there a lot of pop warner and rec groups there? I know in certain parts of the country those groups are huge. Not here. All star cheerleading is big here. Our gym is beginning its 18th year in business. Some of my pop warner and rec groups are SERIOUS about their bows! It is as important as the uniform to them. They are great to work with too!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:54

yellaribbon - I am laughing out loud. Your site is where my cheer Mom saw the glittery bow in the first place!! Your bows are what started all these questions for me. That is so funny. Maybe the cheer world isn't so big.

Your bows are wonderful. I am sure if my cheer mom wasn't a friend, she would have gotten them from you. She raved about every bow on your site.

Do you have any insider tips about that seqiun stuff? I am going tomorrow to buy some. I might be in over my head.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellaribbon View Post
Thank you so much. I appreciate that. One piece of advice I would give women in online businesses is to hire a good web designer. I remember I told my designer I wanted neon pink and green and I wanted a flash intro. He said "Um, let's don't do the intro. Let's get people in there spending their money. " And it was his idea to do the charcoal gray and black so the bows are the only color on the page. I think it turned out pretty great.

You're in PA? Aren't there a lot of pop warner and rec groups there? I know in certain parts of the country those groups are huge. Not here. All star cheerleading is big here. Our gym is beginning its 18th year in business. Some of my pop warner and rec groups are SERIOUS about their bows! It is as important as the uniform to them. They are great to work with too!
Yes I am in Pa. I am very new to cheerleading. I don't even know what pop warner is. Cheering in this area is huge and we also have a lot of dance and gymnastic groups. I am just starting out with a few groups then this fall then would like to go talk to some of the other coaches in the surrounding area.

I would Love to get a really good web designer. I needed something quick so I decided to do my site myself. By next year I hope to be able to get someone to help me redo everything.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:18

yellaribbon... your bows are amazing!! You have so much to be proud of!Congrats on such a successful business! It sounds well deserved..
Old 07-26-2008, 09:42

Thanks so much! Like I said, I admire those of you who make the elaborate boutique bows. I have made them, but I enjoy this a lot more. And making the little animals and shapes out of ribbon? Whoa! I have been out of this world for a while I guess.

Pop Warner is a football organization. Like your local rec league but they have different rules. They have cheerleaders for games and many of them compete as well. I know it is big in Connecticut. New Jersey seems to have a lot of rec league teams. California has some type of organization, but I'm not sure what it is. I hear Jr. Wildcats, Jr. Panthers and names like that all the time from CA customers.

I am so much more familiar with all star cheer than anything else. My daughter, who is nine, is starting her sixth year of all star cheerleading. So it is in our blood.

intandem: That is so funny. And flattering. Thanks for sharing the story.

My web designer does a lot of cheerleading sites but he also does all kinds of web work. He also owns a media company so I get business cards from him and he does my print ads like in magazines for example. Print ads are a complete waste of money by the way. I can't tell you if I have gained one customer from my ads in American Cheerleader or any of the other mags.

I am thinking about either publishing a blog or maybe a thread here with just my thoughts on being a business woman. Believe me, last year in June my husband told me I had until September to prove to him I could make money at this. I had tried so many things to help him with the finances that he was very skeptical. Would you all be interested in reading something like that? I thought a blog might be the best. Just a running log of my experiences, successes and failures. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:12
creativesidebows

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellaribbon View Post
Thanks so much! Like I said, I admire those of you who make the elaborate boutique bows. I have made them, but I enjoy this a lot more. And making the little animals and shapes out of ribbon? Whoa! I have been out of this world for a while I guess.

Pop Warner is a football organization. Like your local rec league but they have different rules. They have cheerleaders for games and many of them compete as well. I know it is big in Connecticut. New Jersey seems to have a lot of rec league teams. California has some type of organization, but I'm not sure what it is. I hear Jr. Wildcats, Jr. Panthers and names like that all the time from CA customers.

I am so much more familiar with all star cheer than anything else. My daughter, who is nine, is starting her sixth year of all star cheerleading. So it is in our blood.

intandem: That is so funny. And flattering. Thanks for sharing the story.

My web designer does a lot of cheerleading sites but he also does all kinds of web work. He also owns a media company so I get business cards from him and he does my print ads like in magazines for example. Print ads are a complete waste of money by the way. I can't tell you if I have gained one customer from my ads in American Cheerleader or any of the other mags.

I am thinking about either publishing a blog or maybe a thread here with just my thoughts on being a business woman. Believe me, last year in June my husband told me I had until September to prove to him I could make money at this. I had tried so many things to help him with the finances that he was very skeptical. Would you all be interested in reading something like that? I thought a blog might be the best. Just a running log of my experiences, successes and failures. Let me know what you think.
I started my site just over 2 years ago and I remember researching before I started and came by your site often to see your pics and layout and colors and such. You are an inspiration to those of us with websites! You would never guess that last year your website wasn't one of the leading ones out there. By the way, I know what you mean about the layered "boutique" bows. I hate making them also. I also hate working with that crazy 2.25" ribbon. My folds never come out right and I've got hundreds of yards of that size. One of these days I've got to get with it and make a great bow with that size. You're bows are so pretty!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:39

Thanks. Would you believe I use as much 3 inch grosgrain as I use
2 1/4"?
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies