New product--flat back resin
Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Polka Dot Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-20x2yd Swiss Polka Dot
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/heatnbond-lt-ad.jpg
New product--frog grosgrain ribbon
New product--5/8' dippin' dots grosgrain ribbon
New product--pop dots

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-23-2008, 02:22

Smile wipe case back and corners and monogramming

I have been reading threads on wipe cases but still am not seeing what I need help with. Can anyone show me exactly how they glued the ribbon on? How are you going around the corners with the trim or ribbon? Also when you are looking at it from the top and it is lying on something does the part you see on the other side of the opening have one strip of ribbon or two? I tried one but getting it glued to the corners and the other ribbon going down... gosh, it just doesn't look well.

I have not seen one in person only online so I have not been able to examine one. I tried to make one today with these instructions
Wipe Case Cover Free Instructions

but my corners look bad and when I tried to cover with ribbon it looked HORRIBLE.

I just started making bows last week and I must say the Pinwheel bow is my favorite. So sweet looking.

Any help would be appreciated! And throwing another question out there not related.... when you monogram on a ribbon, what kind of stabilizer are you using? Mine looked a little rough with tear wear stabilizer and I just bought the sticky kind but have not tried it yet.

Thanks,
Melody
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2008, 03:35

Default Re: wipe case back and corners and monogramming

Two separate pieces sounds cool. Thanks. How does your back look the side view of it?? One trim or two? Are you using one whole piece of the trim or is it cut? I just havent seen what a close up of the trim on the wipe case looks like. Two separate pieces should help with the corner problems I am having. Thank you for responding!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:45

Wow those are adorable!!

Two pieces also. Great!! I can visualize it now. Thank you again.

One more question? Is there a certain size trim? And does it read braided trim on the package?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:47

Oh, are there two pieces of trim on the back side of the front?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:09

quote=funybuny;161215 Hi Melody! Welcome to the group!

Here is how I do my wipe cases - I just made it up as I went along!

I treat the top and bottom as two separate pieces. So, cut a piece of fabrice that is just a little larger than the wipe case. I like to use thick batting, but I cut it to just fit the top of the case. Glue your batting down first. Then, starting back by the hinge of the case, I glue my fabric with hot glue (not covering the hinge). Then I go to the front of the case adn pull my fabric tight and tack it down with a few dabs of hot glue. Then I trim any of the excess off and make sure it's all glued, and do the same with the sides. Then flip the case over and repeat on the bottom side. I like to use the braided trim because it really covers all the rough edges. If you do it just right, the braid will cover the back hinge but still leave room to open.

anyway, I hope that helped a little! quote

Thank you so much funybuny! I have been searching for help, also! I can get everything to look good, but my corners look like crap everytime! I am going to try your method tonight!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:51

Thanks. Will be trying this again really soon. I just need to get the gimp now. Thanks :-)
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49

Wow, it looks much better. I was able to tear off the ribbon and cut the fabric and only had to replace the top fabric so didnt waste too much. Now just need to go buy the trim tomorrow. So if I buy it in the store, so I can finish my project, about how long would I need to buy? Next, I am going to try and tackle a burp cloth to match. I usually cannot sew a straight line so that should be interesting! I know my husband wishes I would just stick to bow making, lol.

Last edited by kalibug; 07-23-2008 at 08:52.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by funybuny View Post
I use two pieces of trim - one for the top and one for the bottom. Both long continuous pieces that cover up your raw edges of of fabric. I don't really ahve a closeup picture of any of mine though...
These are gorgeous!! I really want to try making these in the near future, I think they are so cute, and so much better than carrying around the plain huggies container. Thanks for sharing the advice. I've looked at instructions online but never liked certain aspects of them.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalibug View Post
Wow, it looks much better. I was able to tear off the ribbon and cut the fabric and only had to replace the top fabric so didnt waste too much. Now just need to go buy the trim tomorrow. So if I buy it in the store, so I can finish my project, about how long would I need to buy? Next, I am going to try and tackle a burp cloth to match. I usually cannot sew a straight line so that should be interesting! I know my husband wishes I would just stick to bow making, lol.
clear thread! thats my trick!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43

Clear thread?? You are kidding me?? I have never heard of it. You can actually ask someone where the clear thread is in the store? Is it actually sewing thread??
Sponsored Links