Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-11-2008, 04:27

Default Starching bows...need advice, please

I would really like to stiffen or starch my bows, but I am terrified that I will mess them up or get a residue on them. What do you use to stiffen up your bows? The only stores we have around here are Wal-Mart, Hy-Vee, and Lowe's. No craft store for MILES I tried to starch my pants for work once and it was an awful mess!! I had to rewash them! Please, guidance, please!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 07-11-2008, 07:05

Default Re: Starching bows...need advice, please

I use spray starch (available at Walmart) and have never had any residue or flakes. Some ladies use hair spray. I'm in your situation ~ we have Walmart, Country Mart and Orschlens! Nearest craft stores are about 40 miles away!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:08

I have used stiffen stuff, but i don't think Walmart carries it.. I also like Hairspray it works well but has to be reapplied, but it makes your bows smell GREAT I like Aussie brand super hold of course!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23

I use Sta Flo starch- you get it in a large jug at walmart in the laundry section. It is a concentrated liquid starch. My aunt used these on her crochet items and 20 years later they are still stiff!!!!! I pour it in a spray bottle with 1/2 starch 1/2 water and my bows stay! They do not have a residue or flake it soaks into the ribbon and holds-and it has a nice odor kinda like freshly ironed clothes..LOL I fluff them up spray them and wait for them to dry! - the best thing is if there is something that needs to be tweaked- when it is half dry you can form them and move them where you want- and it will stay!!! Chloe's bows that I made last year still look the same!
Sorry I went on and on- but I have tried other stuff and I really like the liquid starch!
Samantha
Old 07-11-2008, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronda View Post
My Walmart still has it, but they moved it. It used to be in the aisle with sewing supplies and now it's right by the glues (fabritac, mod podge, etc.) They keep clearancing out all their craft supplies, so I'm waiting for the day they put it on sale & then I'm buying it all. LOL. I just got a bunch of packs of cover buttons for .10 each!
You lucky girl you! lol I will be looking to see if it is with the glues here...I would be super excited! I always miss those good sales!!!!!!

I also want to try liquid starch sounds good!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:54

Thanks, girls! I headed to Wal-Mart to check things out. Our Wal-Mart has tons of craft clearance right now. I got baby clothes pins for my diaper cakes for $1.00 a bag. Can't beat clearance
Old 07-11-2008, 01:25

did you not just read where I NEVER get the good sales??? LOL GOod for you I would love to see pics of your cakes!!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:30

Sorry I am getting worried though, because our Wal-Mart appears to be down sizing the craft area...NO, NO, NO!! How do you attach a picture and I will try to put a picture of a cake I made for my friend on here?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:31

I use hair spray. I bought a can at the dollar store and it seems to work.