http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/disney-minnie-mickey-mouse-ribbon-52yd-store.jpg zebra grosgrain ribbon-new colors http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/20pc-1.5in-petal-flower-clips-cm.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/3-8-frog-grosgrain-ribbon.jpg cheetah animal prints grosgrain ribbon grosgrain ribbon korkers
HipGirl 12pc Grosgrain Ribbon Wrapped 1/2" Headbands + Matching Large Hair Bow Alligator Clips. Interchangable Assorted Fashion Accessory for Girl Women Teen Kid Toddler Children Adult

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-26-2008, 10:35

Default Fabric covered buttons questions

I am getting excited to get my buttons from the button buy.....but I have to admit I never have really worked with fabric. I am in need of some pointers. I have seen the covered button instructions on jcaroline, so I think I can handle the mechanics part...my questions are,

Do you need to wash/iron the fabric before you use it for the buttons?
Do you need the pellon iron on stuff on the back?
How helpful is the spray adhesive if you are using just basic fabric, meaning the pattern placement/centering is not critical?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Oh and one more question are pinking sheers necessary? I have a great pair somewhere in my house, it may take days and days to find them ha ha!

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:39

Default Re: Fabric covered buttons questions

i just cut my fabric--lay it over the white part of the pusher, push the button top down on it into the white part, put my back on it and push down w/ the blue pusher!! no sheers, no glue, no ironing or washing--just simple!! you are thinking too deep

Old 06-26-2008, 10:47

Yeah!!!!! Simple!
I guess I won't overwork myself, thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:02

I'd really like to learn how to make those! Can you tell me what supplies I would need and where to get them?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel66 View Post
i just cut my fabric--lay it over the white part of the pusher, push the button top down on it into the white part, put my back on it and push down w/ the blue pusher!! no sheers, no glue, no ironing or washing--just simple!! you are thinking too deep
You dont' use the pellon?? Everytime I've tried it without the pellon I can see the "shine-iness" of the button? Interested to know if you use thicker fabrics than I do?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushfamily View Post
You dont' use the pellon?? Everytime I've tried it without the pellon I can see the "shine-iness" of the button? Interested to know if you use thicker fabrics than I do?
I think it just depends on your fabric. On my darker fabrics (all mine are pretty thin btw) it doesn't show through, but on any of my lighter ones I put a little piece of something underneath. I forget what I bought for it-it feels more like a paper material than fabric but it works and I bought it because it's super thin but still hides the shiny part of the button. Is that pellon? I can't remember.

I don't iron either. In fact yesterday I tried making one and there was a big crease in the center, but since you push the button in, that smooths it out and stretches the fabric around so no need to iron. The only time I ironed is to get a picture to put online because I'm not taking individual pictures of all of the fabrics I have for each button. It's just easier to list all of the fabrics for me and use a drop down menu with one sample online.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:33

Not sure if they are still on sale but my JoAnns had all of their fat quarters for 99 cents. Oops spent over 25 dollars! Obviously not the designer stuff but really fun patterns and lots of cool colors.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:45

you can also use thin batting in between the fabric and button it will give the button a puffier feel
Old 06-27-2008, 05:45

For my darker fabrics, I don't use anything underneath the button. I just put the fabric under the button and push it through using the button maker thingie (how technical am I!)

For lighter fabrics, I use a circle of interfacing underneath to keep the silver shine of the button from coming through.

I currently just use patterned fabric but I'm hoping to get some cute Japanese Kawaii fabric soon - they have some really cute patterns for pony-o's!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:27

i use the fabic from quilting stores--the more expensive stuff. i have found the more expensive the better it is. i dont buy fabric from walmart bc it is very thin. the shininess coming through on some of them doesnt bother me and no one else has said anything either!!

Sponsored Links