New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-24-2013, 04:34
Default NEED HELP with ideas for PROM TUTU DRESS ORDER!

A customer wrote me with a problem that I figured only you fabulous ladies could help me with!! Her daughter is looking for a Grade 6 graduation dress but she is having a hard time because of her unusual size. I make and sell tutu dresses (my site is and she wondered if I could come up with something that would be flattering.
Her daughter is a ladies sz 10-12, but only 5'2" tall with a C/D bra size.
She can't have strapless or low cut. She said her Christmas dress was a dead V and she wore a bandeau underneath - this she found flattering.
I've been throwing around a ton of ideas for the top but can't seem to come up with anything that works. I am a good sewer but not SUPER experienced with complicated clothing.
So far I have considered:
A crocheted halter top covered in shabbies (may add too much to her already large bra size)
Making a top out of rosette ribbon (but the tops I make have a crocheted back on them and this would show her bra strap)
A regular halter tutu but I don't find this style flattering on even small children so I avoid that style.

I'm at a loss - can anyone help me?!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 04:35
Default Re: NEED HELP with ideas for PROM TUTU DRESS ORDER!

I also suggested she may do best by finding a tank top that fits nicely, I could make her a tutu to go with and "fancy up" her tank to go nicely with the tutu.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:59

Verticle stripes tend to make a person look taller and therefore look slimmer (your eye travels up and down with the stripes, where as horizontal stripes cause your eyes to travel across a person's width, making them look wider). If it is possible, use soft colors in the tutu in a striped pattern (not to wide of stripes or the eye could get stuck on one area like the hips and not travel up and down). If it was my daughter, I would go with a semi-fitted blouse that complimented the tutu. depending on the fabric you choose, the top could be fancy and formal to very casual.
Good luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05

my odd just bought a strapless bra at walmart and it was all lacy (she wears a C and is 15) I would suggest looking at tankini bra tops. Also, they do have dresses, I know that alot are low cut so I would sew a piece of lace on the inside. I had to buy my odd a grad dress, she is 5'6 and wears a size 14 or 16 and all they make are super short dresses. It took us a bit but I found one. I also added straps too for her big boobs and she wore booty shorts underneath.
Sponsored Links
little pink ladybug