New product--2.5' Mini Korker Bows
Hip girl boutique 50mm grosgrain ribbon wrapped snap clips for baby girl, toddler, infant, newborn, adult, women, school http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/Shabby-frayed-chiffon-flowers-turq.JPG
new products--dippin dots mini pinwheel bow
hip girl boutique christmas grosgrain satin ribbon collection for holidays

HipGirl Boutique Girls Women 6" Jumbo Large Cheer Bow Elastic Hair Tie Ponytail Holder for High School College Cheerleading (10pc Assorted Solids)

HipGirl 25pc Hair Bow Clips Headbands Gift Basket: Grosgrain Korker Ribbon Alligator Clips + Crochet, Ribbon Wrapped Headbans, For Girls Babies Teens Kids Toddlers Adults. For Pigtails, Ponytails

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-18-2013, 01:42

Default Can you stand one more "help me with my twisteds"? I have pictures to critique!

Quick disclaimer: I am not a bow newbie! My daughter is 4 and has never left the house without a bow once she got hair! LOL But my twisteds.... SHUDDER!! I have practiced and practiced! By hand, by NBNG and by Brilliant Bowmaker. I. Cannot. Make. Twisteds.

No matter how I make them, my twisted hairbows are so... I donít know. Floppy is one way of describing them. I also call them "overly pronounced" if that make sense. My loops stand up too much, too upright. The bows shown by the people who sell the templates are nice and loopy, but sort of lay flat.

Iíve read that STARCH STARCH STARCH is the answer. But I see these same bows in boutiques and they are not starched to death. Plus, if they look bad to begin with, the starch is just going to seal their awfulness!

The look GREAT while I am folding them. They just like the pictures! So I am guessing my issue is with the sewing part. I sew in even stitches, overlapping the edges. I use a Sallyís hair clip to hold in place. (The NBNG ones seem to start flopping before I even sew. So that may be some other problem I am doing. The SEEM to have a perfect X. I use the little glue on the back method.)

Here is a collage of images. It is large so I am not sure how it will show up. I can post smaller images if it does not post well. If it will help, I can photograph my stages while making a bow. Maybe someone will see something there. (The bows I made for this picture are unfinished so you can see the detail.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOWHELP.jpg (172.2 KB, 200 views)
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:39

Default Re: Can you stand one more "help me with my twisteds"? I have pictures to critique!

You need to tug and twist once it's secure. Tug the hell out of it. Maybe you should try a few bows without sewing and maybe that will help! Don't give up. When I first started mine were always flat! It was frustrating!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32

Default Re: Can you stand one more "help me with my twisteds"? I have pictures to critique!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.I felt so stupid.I have wasted so much on all these instructions and still nothing.Mine are the same as yours.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:35

For the most part your bows do not look bad at all. It looks like you have the folds down pretty well. I would say you just need to work on shaping, and then after you have them shaped try some hairspray or baking and startching (my preferred method)

Don't give up!

Proud Army Wife and Momma to 6 wonderful Kids....

Follow me as I indulge in my crafting and pinterest addictions.....
http://confessionsofapinner.blogspot.com/

Wholesale Felties available here, www.facebook.com/owlalwayslovefelties
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49

It looks like the top loops of your bows are perfect. The bottom two loops need to be pulled on a little bit more. My twisteds are not perfect, either, but they are getting there! I think this is the most difficult bow to get down pat. Yours look REALLY good.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:31

Thanks for the tips. I will try to work on the shaping. I know I am doing that part wrong because I can never get my bows shaped nicely. And if I do manage to make it look good, at least one loop flops over. And if one loop looks bad, the whole things looks bad!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00

I use the gator bite to attach them, without it I couldn't!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31

I've been tempted to get the gator bite but it is kinda pricy. The main thing I am worried about is that it seems so big/thick. Can you maneuver a needle in between it? I don't like to just tie my ribbons. Sewing is a must! How does it compare to the sally's clips?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyH View Post
It looks like the top loops of your bows are perfect. The bottom two loops need to be pulled on a little bit more. My twisteds are not perfect, either, but they are getting there! I think this is the most difficult bow to get down pat. Yours look REALLY good.
Thank you! This gives me encouragement!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49

I'd say they look pretty good. Seems like it is only a shaping issue. Keep at it! Feel free to share more pics with details of your concerns. It gets easier if you can make several in one sitting. You will start to figure out what works and what doesn't. Devon and I learned and tweaked techniques and started from the same point you are. You'll get there!
Best regards, Karyn
Sponsored Links