http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-800.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 04-08-2013, 06:26

Default What type of bow is best (w/2 diff ribbons?) NEWBIE!

I am new and though I've watched a ton of videos on youtube, this bow making is really TOUGH!! Soooo I don't get over-whelmed, I just want to take it one step at a time.

I wanted to begin with using 2 ribbon colors for my bows and wondered which bow styles were the easiest to do this?

Also, I'm finding that using 5/8" and 7/8" ribbons are really hard (maybe b/c I'm new), but do you use these styles w/ a particular style also?

Thanks for your input! I really need it.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33

Default Re: What type of bow is best (w/2 diff ribbons?) NEWBIE!

Usually a pinwheel is the easiest to start with for most people. I learned it and then went to the basic boutique bow. I personally would stay away from 5/8 inch ribbon as you are learning. To me the 7/8 or 1.5 was easier to work with. Also, make sure you are using grosgrain ribbon instead of satin.

Just remember it takes time and practice. The more you make them the easier it will get
Old 04-08-2013, 09:45

I would suggest starting with the basic bow also (I have never made a pinwheel bow, so I do not know if it is hard or easy) and I would stick with one color until you get it down pat. You could try stacking the bows to make different color combos, though.
I have also found the 7/8" and 1 1/2" ribbon to be the easiest to work with. The smaller the ribbon, the smaller the bow which means you have less to work with and less room to make adjustments.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMom View Post
Usually a pinwheel is the easiest to start with for most people. I learned it and then went to the basic boutique bow. I personally would stay away from 5/8 inch ribbon as you are learning. To me the 7/8 or 1.5 was easier to work with. Also, make sure you are using grosgrain ribbon instead of satin.

Just remember it takes time and practice. The more you make them the easier it will get

Thank you! Great advice. I keep getting the pinwheel and spike one mixed one, but you're right - that one looks really easy. And you're right about grosgrain vs. satin...!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5girls View Post
I would suggest starting with the basic bow also (I have never made a pinwheel bow, so I do not know if it is hard or easy) and I would stick with one color until you get it down pat. You could try stacking the bows to make different color combos, though.
I have also found the 7/8" and 1 1/2" ribbon to be the easiest to work with. The smaller the ribbon, the smaller the bow which means you have less to work with and less room to make adjustments.
Thank you! Yes, I was only planning on gluing bows to one another (when I said using different colors). Thanks!

I did try making a basic boutique, but used 7/8" and it was super hard - thought it was my first bow too!

How can I know that ribbon is grosgrain (is there some abbreviation to look for on the ribbon spool? The woman at Michael's was not helpful.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjhoop View Post
Thank you! Yes, I was only planning on gluing bows to one another (when I said using different colors). Thanks!

I did try making a basic boutique, but used 7/8" and it was super hard - thought it was my first bow too!

How can I know that ribbon is grosgrain (is there some abbreviation to look for on the ribbon spool? The woman at Michael's was not helpful.
Grosgrain is textured and looks like if has little lines through it. It is it usually polyester and won't have the shine that the satin has. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...bon_detail.JPG
Sponsored Links