Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Default What type of bow is best (w/2 diff ribbons?) NEWBIE!

I am new and though I've watched a ton of videos on youtube, this bow making is really TOUGH!! Soooo I don't get over-whelmed, I just want to take it one step at a time.

I wanted to begin with using 2 ribbon colors for my bows and wondered which bow styles were the easiest to do this?

Also, I'm finding that using 5/8" and 7/8" ribbons are really hard (maybe b/c I'm new), but do you use these styles w/ a particular style also?

Thanks for your input! I really need it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33
BlessedMom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 1,833
Default Re: What type of bow is best (w/2 diff ribbons?) NEWBIE!

Usually a pinwheel is the easiest to start with for most people. I learned it and then went to the basic boutique bow. I personally would stay away from 5/8 inch ribbon as you are learning. To me the 7/8 or 1.5 was easier to work with. Also, make sure you are using grosgrain ribbon instead of satin.

Just remember it takes time and practice. The more you make them the easier it will get
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 638
Default Re: What type of bow is best (w/2 diff ribbons?) NEWBIE!

I would suggest starting with the basic bow also (I have never made a pinwheel bow, so I do not know if it is hard or easy) and I would stick with one color until you get it down pat. You could try stacking the bows to make different color combos, though.
I have also found the 7/8" and 1 1/2" ribbon to be the easiest to work with. The smaller the ribbon, the smaller the bow which means you have less to work with and less room to make adjustments.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Default Re: What type of bow is best (w/2 diff ribbons?) NEWBIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMom View Post
Usually a pinwheel is the easiest to start with for most people. I learned it and then went to the basic boutique bow. I personally would stay away from 5/8 inch ribbon as you are learning. To me the 7/8 or 1.5 was easier to work with. Also, make sure you are using grosgrain ribbon instead of satin.

Just remember it takes time and practice. The more you make them the easier it will get

Thank you! Great advice. I keep getting the pinwheel and spike one mixed one, but you're right - that one looks really easy. And you're right about grosgrain vs. satin...!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2013, 07:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Default Re: What type of bow is best (w/2 diff ribbons?) NEWBIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5girls View Post
I would suggest starting with the basic bow also (I have never made a pinwheel bow, so I do not know if it is hard or easy) and I would stick with one color until you get it down pat. You could try stacking the bows to make different color combos, though.
I have also found the 7/8" and 1 1/2" ribbon to be the easiest to work with. The smaller the ribbon, the smaller the bow which means you have less to work with and less room to make adjustments.
Thank you! Yes, I was only planning on gluing bows to one another (when I said using different colors). Thanks!

I did try making a basic boutique, but used 7/8" and it was super hard - thought it was my first bow too!

How can I know that ribbon is grosgrain (is there some abbreviation to look for on the ribbon spool? The woman at Michael's was not helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49
BlessedMom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East TN
Posts: 1,833
Default Re: What type of bow is best (w/2 diff ribbons?) NEWBIE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjhoop View Post
Thank you! Yes, I was only planning on gluing bows to one another (when I said using different colors). Thanks!

I did try making a basic boutique, but used 7/8" and it was super hard - thought it was my first bow too!

How can I know that ribbon is grosgrain (is there some abbreviation to look for on the ribbon spool? The woman at Michael's was not helpful.
Grosgrain is textured and looks like if has little lines through it. It is it usually polyester and won't have the shine that the satin has. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...bon_detail.JPG
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0
Hip Girl Boutique Instructions - Copyright © 2007

Ad Management by RedTyger