Hipgirl 40 Yards 3/8" Grosgrain Fabric Ribbon Set For Gift Package Wrapping, Hair Bow Clips & Accessories Making, Crafting, Sewing, Wedding Decor, Boy Girl Baby Shower-(20x2yd Solid Boutique Ribbons)
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-satin-autism-pinwheel-bow.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/glitter-ribbon-250.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/kanzashi-flower-butterfly-forum-ads.JPG
New product--1.8mm bottle cap hole punch

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-27-2013, 05:24

Default So I was wondering.....

Being that I am less than 15 miles away from West Monroe, LA. AKA home of Duck Dynasty, is it okay to sale Duck Dynasty hair bows? I was at a local boutique & they were selling Duck Dynasty hair bows.... not to mention they were 4" stacked boutiques selling for $15... yes $15 & the lady said they sale no less than 10 a day. I did a search & found several sites selling the ribbon. Could someone please tell me if this is okay to do? If so, then I am about to put in a order for some ribbon!!!
Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2013, 05:51

Default Re: So I was wondering.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by traciestrends View Post
Being that I am less than 15 miles away from West Monroe, LA. AKA home of Duck Dynasty, is it okay to sale Duck Dynasty hair bows? I was at a local boutique & they were selling Duck Dynasty hair bows.... not to mention they were 4" stacked boutiques selling for $15... yes $15 & the lady said they sale no less than 10 a day. I did a search & found several sites selling the ribbon. Could someone please tell me if this is okay to do? If so, then I am about to put in a order for some ribbon!!!
My gut reaction is that it would be the same as selling Mickey or Dora or any other licensed product. Many people are very successful at it, but it's often not legal. I may not be using the right terminoligy, but the point is still valid, you can't use/copy things that are trademarked/copyrighted unless you have the license/permission to do so. Now, whether or not particular images or designs are copyrighted is a whole 'nother ballgame, but I believe in this case, if you aren't licensed to use it, you are taking a risk.

I did a quick google search and found this. Again, not an expert, but it leads me to believe that some of their images, and likely their logo/name is protected, and you should be licensed. I don't know that they would actually go after people, but that's up to you. Again, just a quick google and gut response, not a legal analysis

http://www.licensing.org/news/press-...-takes-flight/
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuskerFan View Post
My gut reaction is that it would be the same as selling Mickey or Dora or any other licensed product. Many people are very successful at it, but it's often not legal. I may not be using the right terminoligy, but the point is still valid, you can't use/copy things that are trademarked/copyrighted unless you have the license/permission to do so. Now, whether or not particular images or designs are copyrighted is a whole 'nother ballgame, but I believe in this case, if you aren't licensed to use it, you are taking a risk.

I did a quick google search and found this. Again, not an expert, but it leads me to believe that some of their images, and likely their logo/name is protected, and you should be licensed. I don't know that they would actually go after people, but that's up to you. Again, just a quick google and gut response, not a legal analysis

http://www.licensing.org/news/press-...-takes-flight/

I agree. You can technically try it and people do, but it would NOT be legal to do it. I just don't risk it...
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23

That is what I was thinking and I am totally chicken when it comes to doing something like that, on top of being just wrong. I guess my next question is, would it be wrong if I even bought some of the ribbon and made my nieces some bows and not sell them?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47

I was told by the lady in the copyright office of a major sec college that their fabric may be used for personal items or for gifts. I think that applies to most copyright items, fabric ribbon, etc!!!

www.MarcootBoutique.etsy.com
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49

I would say that personal use would be ok. You could always contact the company and ask permission to copy or atleast find out if they sell permission to sell their theme. Most people do not know this, but you have to do the same for school mascot themed stuff.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14

Quote:
That is what I was thinking and I am totally chicken when it comes to doing something like that, on top of being just wrong. I guess my next question is, would it be wrong if I even bought some of the ribbon and made my nieces some bows and not sell them?
It might not be "right", but I would say the chances of trouble are lower. The problem is that the ribbon is most likely not licensed.

If the ribbon is licensed, it is iffy as to whether you can sell products made from it, but you can definately make things for personal use (including gifts). The safest advice is, consult your lawyer, lol. But www.tabberone.com has some interesting information...

If you are buying ribbon in a store like Hobby Lobby or Walmart, it is likely licensed. Online or in a group buy, chances are good that it isn't.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:46

Lightbulb Re: So I was wondering.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuskerFan View Post
It might not be "right", but I would say the chances of trouble are lower. The problem is that the ribbon is most likely not licensed.

If the ribbon is licensed, it is iffy as to whether you can sell products made from it, but you can definately make things for personal use (including gifts). The safest advice is, consult your lawyer, lol. But www.tabberone.com has some interesting information...

If you are buying ribbon in a store like Hobby Lobby or Walmart, it is likely licensed. Online or in a group buy, chances are good that it isn't.
The whole licensed/copyright stuff is so confusing to me! So if I went into HL and they had the ribbon I could use it to make bows to sale?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:08

I can ask the people from swamp people that i know, im sure they would know. let me know if you want me to ask. or the people from swamp pawn. YEEAAAA lol thats the town i live in, whoopie lol
Old 02-28-2013, 06:22

Quote:
The whole licensed/copyright stuff is so confusing to me! So if I went into HL and they had the ribbon I could use it to make bows to sale?
I just looked at a roll of Mickey Mouse ribbon I got from HL and it says "For Craft Use Only". Same thing with the collegiant ribbon I bought from Wal-Mart. Technically you can only use them for personal use, but not to sale.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif