Free Instructions---------Free Instructions----------Free Instructions-----------Free Instructions.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/ribbon-korker-hair-bow-clip-instructions-sm.jpg
New Instructions--How to make braided/woven headband instruction
New Instructions--How to make hair bow gift basket
Free Hair Bow Instructions-Snail
Free Hair Bow Instructions--Christmas Tree
http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/bee/bumble%20bee%20sm.jpg

New products--grosgrain ribbon mini bows

http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/xw-instruction-images/rainbow-ribbon-dragonfly-hair-clips-free-tutorial/dragonfly-rainbow.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-28-2013, 07:58

Default Re: So I was wondering.....

I stay away fro that reason too fear of getting in trouble but.... so many do it my luck I would be the jerk that gets caught! You can totally gift them though that would be considered crafting

I Had number 3 and she was a "HE" so much for bow making for my DD
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMom View Post
I just looked at a roll of Mickey Mouse ribbon I got from HL and it says "For Craft Use Only". Same thing with the collegiant ribbon I bought from Wal-Mart. Technically you can only use them for personal use, but not to sale.
Oops! I have broken the law! I have made and sold bows using character ribbon that I have bought from different places. I seriously thought that as long as you bought the ribbon from somewhere like wallyworld, HL, Joann's, etc. it was okay to use. I also thought that it was not okay to buy ribbon from someone that printed it theirselves or copy images off the Internet.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by traciestrends View Post
Oops! I have broken the law! I have made and sold bows using character ribbon that I have bought from different places. I seriously thought that as long as you bought the ribbon from somewhere like wallyworld, HL, Joann's, etc. it was okay to use. I also thought that it was not okay to buy ribbon from someone that printed it theirselves or copy images off the Internet.
Honestly, until I read on here I figured buying the ribbon from a reputable supplier would make it o.k. to use also. You probably will not run into problems selling at shows or locally. I wouldn't recommend putting them on Etsy. Disney and Sanrio (Hello Kitty and Angry Birds) have really been aggressive in going after people selling their copyrighted images. Etsy has a TON of copyrighted stuff for sale, but I am terrified I will be the one they choose to go after so I won't post them.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44

I would think shows and stuff are ok def stay away from plays like Etsy and Ebay

I Had number 3 and she was a "HE" so much for bow making for my DD
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34

Quote:
The whole licensed/copyright stuff is so confusing to me! So if I went into HL and they had the ribbon I could use it to make bows to sale?
That's the iffy one, I recommend reading up on it. Etsy will still shut you down, but legally you "may" be able to sell it if it's licensed. However, some companies will bully you, and you'd probably need a lawyer's help. Read up on tabberone.com, very interesting stuff... For me, I just don't use it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin7786 View Post
I can ask the people from swamp people that i know, im sure they would know. let me know if you want me to ask. or the people from swamp pawn. YEEAAAA lol thats the town i live in, whoopie lol
That is awesome.

Quote:
I just looked at a roll of Mickey Mouse ribbon I got from HL and it says "For Craft Use Only". Same thing with the collegiant ribbon I bought from Wal-Mart. Technically you can only use them for personal use, but not to sale.
Maybe, maybe not - read up on it. I think there is question whether they can truly tell you want you can do with a legally purchased product. Could you never re-use anything into another product? Anyway, would still probably need a lawyer to deal with it if they bothered you about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxie23 View Post
I stay away fro that reason too fear of getting in trouble but.... so many do it my luck I would be the jerk that gets caught! You can totally gift them though that would be considered crafting
I just choose not to use it as well. With gifting, I would say that as a general rule you'd be ok. But, if you own a business, could be sticky (though the chances of getting "caught" if you are only gifting a few items is extremely unlikely)

Quote:
Maybe/maybe not, see above

Quote:
Honestly, until I read on here I figured buying the ribbon from a reputable supplier would make it o.k. to use also. You probably will not run into problems selling at shows or locally. I wouldn't recommend putting them on Etsy. Disney and Sanrio (Hello Kitty and Angry Birds) have really been aggressive in going after people selling their copyrighted images. Etsy has a TON of copyrighted stuff for sale, but I am terrified I will be the one they choose to go after so I won't post them.
I don't think you are wrong, but they will/may still go after you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxie23 View Post
I would think shows and stuff are ok def stay away from plays like Etsy and Ebay
Etsy and Ebay WILL shut you down for it (right or wrong, and they can do that because it's their site - fight the big guy or the little guy....)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:48

Well, this is all good to know. I never really thought about the fact that using licensed ribbon to make bows and then selling them would be illegal. I guess that should probably be obvious lol. Good thing I don't really buy licensed character ribbons as of yet. Just got a Tinkerbell one for my daughter's bows. :S
Old 03-03-2013, 09:30

According to court rulings, you should be able to, you just can't call it a "Hello Kitty" bow, you'd have to call it a bow made with "Hello Kitty" ribbon.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5757831_ca...d-fabric_.html

JHB Buttons will not sell me Peter Rabbit buttons because I am registered with them as a manufacturer.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:25

If you say it's "inspired by" or call it something else, you cannot get in trouble. How you get in trouble is when you say it's "duck dynasty" and since that name is copyrighted they basically look at it like your saying that item is in direct affiliation with the copyright...and they get all crazy lol.

I know this because I went through this with Disney a while ago!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GlitZNGiggleZ
Old 03-04-2013, 07:08

Well I did it! I went ahead and ordered 20 yards of the ribbon..... You know, just to have kinda thing!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:14

I live about 40 minutes from Monroe. I will say that I don't believe I would personally try it. They have their own store and they are all a BRAND..Same as Dora, Mickey Mouse or anything else. They take their name and Brand seriously, so would I. I have saw the ribbon in several places. I don't buy it. I don't sell hair bows, but I would think as the other ladies stated it's the same as having a ribbon by Disney or something Just my opinion

edee
Sponsored Links