Saddle Stitch Ribbon
new products--1/4' plastic headbands
New colors--3/8' party dot and gymbo dot grosgrain ribbon
New product--3/8' wrapped headband
new clearance items

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 02-12-2013, 08:09
Default Tutu advice please?

I have never made tutus, but I am a lifelong sewer. I am needing to make 2 tutus for my granddaughters to wear for my daughters wedding. One for a 2 yr old that I plan to use a crochet headband for and one for an 8 yr old that I am planning to make as a skirt to be worn with a corset type bodice. I know I have heard talk of knotted and sewn but could someone explain the difference to me? And I have read opinions on tulle that lead me to believe some is better than others. Can I get any reccommendations on the 'good' kind and where I can find it?
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I wish I could just buy them but just cant afford it. I know some of you girls make some really beautiful ones.
Please keep your fingers crossed for us. This wedding was supposed to be last Sept, but the grooms father passed away unexpectedly and his funeral was the day the wedding was supposed to be.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39
Default Re: Tutu advice please?

There are alot of tutorial here if you search for them. yes to different qualities!! I think HL tulle is horrid but it would work for a one time will just get all limp and crinkly after wearing it...which won't matter after the wedding!!. I buy mine online. I prefer the american made stuff myself.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04

The knotted tutus are tied onto an elastic or crochet waistband. The sewn ones can be gathered onto the waistband (yardage) or the strips can be sewn on. I sew mine, because I was never able to get my knots to look right. I think it looks better, and it's more durable. I buy my tulle in rolls and bolts online. I hate HL tulle because it often smells funny and it is way more expensive.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47

I knot my tutus but I have sewn one. I found the sewn one I did was a little more "poofy" then the knotted ones but im quicker at knotting than sewing I also buy my tulle online and if I am in a pinch I have an awesome local wedding wholesaler by my house that I get it from too HTH
Old 02-23-2013, 09:30

Thanks for all the advice ladies! I have been down with the flu for the last few days. Now I rreally need to get started. Can you suggest a good online source for the tulle? I am going to look for tutorials now! Seems like I always get sick when I have lots to do.
Sponsored Links