printed bottle caps fabric tape http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/categories/rhine-stone-flat-back-title-sm.jpg stripe ribbon mini bows 7/8" saddle stitch grosgrain ribbon crochet headband trim

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 01-18-2013, 05:02

Default how to make - like a twisted bow, but not really...

HI!!

What I want is like a twisted bow, but not as loopy. I have tried it myself, using the figure 8 as well as the NBNG template, but I always get more of a loop than what I want.

I am not able to post links, so I am not sure how to show you a pic of what I want.

If you go to etsy and search for large-black-basic-boutique-bow, you will see one example.

Here is REALLY what I want, just maybe with 1.5" ribbon rather than the 2.25 she used: (also on etsy) extra-large-boutique-hair-bow-twisted

Then this one: large-boutique-hair-bow-baby-girls

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kristi
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00

Default Re: how to make - like a twisted bow, but not really...

Is there a place I can ask for this to be moved, or the title changed?? My title seems like it is giving an instruction, when I am asking FOR help. I misunderstood this forum, I apologize.

If someone who can help is reading this, the title should be "how do I make this - like a twisted bow, but not really..."

Kristi
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14

You can do it with the figure 8 method but don't make a skinny but rather a flat 8. Hope you understand what I mean.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08

Do you mean fat 8? And how do you get a tail in front?

I've tried the fat 8 and I guess I am not doing it right. The bow just doesn't have much shape using a fat 8. If you mean FLAT 8, can you elaborate?

Last edited by LittlePinkSnail; 01-18-2013 at 09:10.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePinkSnail View Post
Do you mean fat 8? And how do you get a tail in front?

I've tried the fat 8 and I guess I am not doing it right. The bow just doesn't have much shape using a fat 8. If you mean FLAT 8, can you elaborate?
I am probably going to fail at trying to explain this, but I'll try. When doing a twisted, you end up with parallel (horizontal) ribbon at the back, and an "x" in the front. Instead of a tall skinny x ribbon (or a fat 8), like in a normal twisted boutique, make it flatter. The x would be shorter/wider, or a flatter 8 (or if you turned it sideways, a tall skinny 8).

Sorry if this doesn't make sense...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21

The only problem is that I have tried EVERY size loop of the figure 8 method and it turns out too loopy. I really want to work with the 1.5 ribbon, and it either looks like a loopy twisted, or a long skinny twisted.

The long skinny is closer to what I want because the loops are not as twisted looking, but I don't like the long skinny look. Also my bottom loops look twisted and my top loops look flat. Yuck!

Oh, I also have the Brilliant Bowmaker, plus the NBNG. If anyone has any "recipes" for those.

Is this a twisted? on etsy, enter description: White with Turquoise and Brown Polka Dots Classic Hair Bow
I am kind of only wanting one tail in front, but I don't mind two tails in front!

This one even works for me. It looks more like a pinwheel, but the tails are coming from between the loops rather than at the very top and bottom like a regular pinwheel: on etsy look up: BALLET Seashell Pink Hair Bow Simple Traditional Basic Classic Style Toddler Girl

Sorry to be such a bother. I am not new at hairbow making! My daughter has not left the house without a hairbow or 2 in her hair for 3 years now!! There are just a few I can not master, mainly because I just have not come across an instruction for them.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47

May be you should try hand folding it.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by traciestrends View Post
May be you should try hand folding it.
Would if I ever found directions. I have looked up every combo of words I can think of for bow making online, and have never seen this style as a direction. Paid or free.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21

You said you have the NBNG templates/instructions...are you sewing your bows? Have you tried using the basic bow instructions and sewing LESS stitches? To me they all look like basic bows.
Search basic bows in you tube and look for mommycraftsalot
Cheers Rubes.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePinkSnail View Post
HI!!

What I want is like a twisted bow, but not as loopy. I have tried it myself, using the figure 8 as well as the NBNG template, but I always get more of a loop than what I want.

I am not able to post links, so I am not sure how to show you a pic of what I want.

If you go to etsy and search for large-black-basic-boutique-bow, you will see one example.

Here is REALLY what I want, just maybe with 1.5" ribbon rather than the 2.25 she used: (also on etsy) extra-large-boutique-hair-bow-twisted

Then this one: large-boutique-hair-bow-baby-girls

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kristi
There are hand folding techniques for Basic & boutique bows on this site.
The instructions are given in several parts. It shows one fold for basic and another for boutique.
Here you go:

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...oducts_id=1547

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...oducts_id=2305

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...oducts_id=2379

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...oducts_id=1546

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/in...oducts_id=1544

Last edited by belizeancutie; 01-22-2013 at 11:37. Reason: added a sentence
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg