New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-27-2012, 06:42
Default 1 comb enough anchor?

I'm doing a headpiece for a wedding and I'm worried that 1 comb might not be enough anchor for it. It's a sinamay teardrop base with a nice large spray of coque feathering with other filler feathers (probably about 30 total) and I'll be putting in a rosette of feathers at the bottom.

Is there a way to do a backup anchor or should the comb be enough? Using a 3" one and will be ribbon wrapping it before I sew through the base so there's more of an area to "grab" onto for support.

Feathers are somewhere in transit from Oz so I'm not sure what I'm looking at weight wise until they're here. Thoughts anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27
Default Re: 1 comb enough anchor?

Feathered piece is finished (and it's Awesome awesome awesome) and seems ok on one comb with the weight but I'm nervous it won't be as secure all day since my bride has short hair (stacked bob).

Should I run a set of ribbon ties as a backup? The comb is at the midline of the piece and is 3", double wrapped in silk ribbon so it's got some cushion as well as a really secure sewn area into the felt backing I used. Was worried there wouldn't be enough security with shorter hair so rather than take a gamble it's got a small 1" tulle ruffle to keep the feathers puffed out and not getting staticky and attaching to the hair. Between that and the tulle it should be pretty "no slip" but I think everyone here is starting to get that I'm a worry wart and perfectionist (pisces lol) so figured better safe then sorry.

I really wish I could put up a picture but no can do until after the wedding. Photographers have an exclusive on this so she's not allowed to take photos of the dress or anything prior....

I double checked the weight and it's only 25g so that's pretty light. I'm not sure whether or not I should just run ties or if I should leave well enough alone. This is one component of the full piece and I know you can really easily put hair pins or bobby pins into sinamay which is why I use it. Lightweight, sturdy and forgiving when you sew lol best stuff ever.

I deliver tomorrow so what's everyone think? Toss on ties or leave it be.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20

With regards to the kind of hairstyle selected they will almost always have a choice to the kind of platform being used.comb will always core into the locks more safely and with less bulk.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:07

one comb was plenty =)
Sponsored Links