http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/rock-star-ribbon-offray-7-8-satin.jpg   http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-flower-grosgrain-ribbon.JPG Tested! Snap Clips Shipping Supplies Alligator Clips--Silver E-6000 http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/5-8-hello-kitty-satin-ribbon-orchid.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 09-22-2012, 07:53

Question how to make off tje shoulder puff sleeve on tutu dress

Can anyone tell me how this off shoulder sleeve is made? I'm completely lost! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006-Copy-5-2.jpg (56.4 KB, 109 views)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/KBJWholesale.jpg
Old 09-22-2012, 12:02

Default Re: how to make off tje shoulder puff sleeve on tutu dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldazednconfuzed View Post
Can anyone tell me how this off shoulder sleeve is made? I'm completely lost! Thanks!
First of all... welcome! We'd love to hear a little about yourself.

I don't actually make tutus, but if you look at the sleeve on the right side... the base might be a crochet headband, or maybe some crochet trim:

From Hip Girl Boutique

If it's a headband, she may or may not be cutting it. She attaches it somehow (either sews it on or knots it in when she's doing the bodice), and finishes it like a mini tutu. However, after reading the description on the website and looking at the back of the dress, I think she might be using elastic on the sleeves, like she does on the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All About Tots
Each tutu dress is made with an abundance of the finest tulle and an elastic waistband around the chest area. It should fit right underneath the arm. All elastic is sewn for durability and will stretch up to 10 inches, the tulle is tied in tight knots around the elastic waistband. Slip knots are not used on any of my products.

http://allabouttots.com/item_1100/Pink-Belle-Tutu-Dress-CostumeFlower-Girl-DressSleeping-Beauty-Tutu-Dress-Costume.htm
I guess it really depends on how YOU make your tutus. Knotting in uncut headbands into the bodice as you're knotting the bodice seems the easiest way to accomplish this look. You'll have to experiment with width and size. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:29

Thanks so much. I actually make my little one's tutus both ways...some with crochet tops and some with elastic bands - it really just depends on the one she points out that particular day. (Yes, she's "royally spoiled!")
Anyway, I thought maybe elastic was used, but I wasn't sure. I kept picturing (in my mind) a "gap" between the tulle knotting where the two pieces of elastic were sewn together. (Does that make sense?)
As for more about me...I am new to forums, so where do I post that info?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:10

Not sure I actually helped...

For introductions, take a stroll over here: http://hipgirlclips.com/forums/introductions
Old 09-22-2012, 09:53

Search Google or auctions for..... tutu dress with sleeves....a bunch of outfits will come up with pix that you may be able to use to work on that style.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
Search Google or auctions for..... tutu dress with sleeves....a bunch of outfits will come up with pix that you may be able to use to work on that style.
You know... that is a brilliant idea! ...'cause I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Here's one right here: www.etsy.com/listing/76885733/beautiful-pink-tutu-dress-with-cap ...with a really good close-up (see second photo).
Old 09-23-2012, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dede View Post
You know... that is a brilliant idea! ...'cause I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Here's one right here: www.etsy.com/listing/76885733/beautiful-pink-tutu-dress-with-cap ...with a really good close-up (see second photo).
You're crackin' me up! I understood exactly what you were talking about, ha! I always look around for more or better pix of whatever it is I'm searching for......it'll show up somewhere! And the one you found is great! Looks like tulle knotted over elastic!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:17

Smile Re: how to make off tje shoulder puff sleeve on tutu dress

Thank you Ladies! You are amazing. It all seems rather simple when you point out the obvious, lol.
Now, one more question ( I hope you don't mind)...I have been making hairbows, headbands, etc. since my 24 yr. old daughter was a baby. She, as well as all my nieces (and little girl that asked) had a massive supply of "pretties," as they called them. I have always just given the items to the children. I've always just assumed that if I could make them, "anyone" could. I am beginning to see that isn't necessarily the case. Now, for my question ...How hard is it to sell these items? (I apologize in advance if this is a silly question)
I have mentioned this to family and friends, but I always get the "she's lost her mind " look, lol. (I spent years as an art director for a national advertising company, so you can see why they may think this is out of my realm) Anyway, just wondering if this is a good way to pick up some extra cash or better left as a hobby. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time, you've been wonderful!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:22

I say go for it. I make bows, tutu and such for my niece and I always take pictures and post the images. That way I can take advantage of the talent. I do this for more of a stress relief than anything. Since I work full-time +++ and a fill-time student. OK so I'm rambling. GO FOR IT!
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/candyshopbeadsus-300.jpg

Tags
tutu dress