ribbon and bows and free hairbow instructions

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/peony-ad.gif
7-8 zebra and leopard grosgrain ribbon
New product--7/8' sister ribbon
Mini Pinwheel Bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-17-2012, 05:28

Default Is this cheating or unethical?

Hi All -

I'm brand new to this community and am excited to find all of you wonderfully crafty ladies!

And I'm really hoping for some advice/feedback/suggestions

Here is my dilemma:
I have young daughters and have enjoyed making tutus for them. I would like to start selling tutus to make a little extra money, and I because I really enjoy making them. I've spent a lot of time figuring out how I feel is the best way I can make them, watched videos, read tutorials, and more than anything tried out different methods and techniques.

My husband has suggested that before I start selling my tutus, I purchase 4 or 5 tutus from some of the different Etsy shops that appear to have very well made tutus and have a high volume of sales. He feels like this would be a good business investment to see not only how each tutu is made, but also look at packaging and overall presentation and use this to possibly refine my technique and to simply see how others make their tutus in person.

Do you feel like this is cheating or bad business practices?? Others I've talked to always say 'no', and argue that most brands are fully aware of what competitors products are like and have usually tested their products against competitors so that they can have the best product possible. It doesn't seem that weird for a big name brand to do this, but on this small business, working out of our home type of level, would you consider this a bad move?

I'd love your feedback and honest advice, you won't hurt my feelings if you feel strongly either way
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 06:20

Default Re: Is this cheating or unethical?

I have purchased bows from others that I liked for my daughter, but never with the intention of copying them. As a small business owner, it would likely break my heart to know someone does that. I am not trying to be harsh, but people work long and hard to be the top and figure out these little tricks.

Ladies here are VERY helpful, have a question on packing for shipping, ask and I promise someone will be willing to help you. Don't get people to resent you over something like that... and even if that isn't your intention, people will because they feel betrayed by a stranger...

On a lighter note, welcome!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22

There are some things in this business that you keep to yourself. If you have been making tutus for your kids, researching and trying different ways to make them.. then you should be comfortable enough to sell them.

Each person will have a different take on this, somw will feel you are flat out copying, others will say sure why not, your not reselling their product. To me it is NOT something you flat our discuess with other businesses, if you do it, do it quietly, if not then dont.

Your entering a very competative world out there, you need to know it takes time to get your name out there. Etsy is FLOODED with all these things. Go for it, but make sure when youare ready to sell you are confident that you make a well made tutu. A business owner must be able to stand behind HER product.

Holiday, Princess, ballet shoes.....

ALL PROUDLY MADE IN THE U.S.A.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesmoon View Post
There are some things in this business that you keep to yourself. If you have been making tutus for your kids, researching and trying different ways to make them.. then you should be comfortable enough to sell them.

Each person will have a different take on this, somw will feel you are flat out copying, others will say sure why not, your not reselling their product. To me it is NOT something you flat our discuess with other businesses, if you do it, do it quietly, if not then dont.

Your entering a very competative world out there, you need to know it takes time to get your name out there. Etsy is FLOODED with all these things. Go for it, but make sure when youare ready to sell you are confident that you make a well made tutu. A business owner must be able to stand behind HER product.
THIS! Well said!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09

I don't think it is unethical. You paid for a product. After that, it is yours to do whatever you want to do with it.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:31

I think if you've already perfected your way of making tutus and found what works best for you, then you would just be wasting your money by purchasing other tutus. You should always enjoy making your product so therefore, make it the way you feel is best. As for packaging, VanillaBaby is right. Just ask the ladies here. I do believe I've seen a thread before where they discussed shipping tutus and if you need a visual, maybe someone would be willing to send you a picture of a tutu packed and ready to be shipped.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:01

I don't think it's a crime at all to "shop" the competition. It's a valid marketing tool and used by many businesses--large and small.

I think the line of integrity is crossed when someone outright markets the competition's idea as one's own, tries to copyright it, claims ownership etc. Tutus are a dime a dozen on Etsy, but if you are good, you will stand out. Wow them with stellar customer service, turnaround time, the extra mile!

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by masha1999 View Post
I don't think it's a crime at all to "shop" the competition. It's a valid marketing tool and used by many businesses--large and small.

I think the line of integrity is crossed when someone outright markets the competition's idea as one's own, tries to copyright it, claims ownership etc. Tutus are a dime a dozen on Etsy, but if you are good, you will stand out. Wow them with stellar customer service, turnaround time, the extra mile!

Good luck!
I agree with this completely. There have been many conversations on here about "researching" other people and the opinions are mixed. I just read most of a 42 page thread on here today that started back in 2010 where someone found a bow they wanted to try to make and dozens of well respected bow makers here on HG were trying to copy the style of this one bow. I remember another thread where someone wanted to make this different type of tutu. Everyone was trying to figure out how it was made and the lady that made the actual tutu found out about the thread and came on here with her "copywrite" guns a blazing. Someone had ordered one of the tutu's and I can't remember if she recieved it or not after the lady found out she was buying only to see how it was made. And let us not forget the repeated threads/threats over Lollytops. I think if you are purchasing something to research and not duplicate there is nothing wrong with that. I think that you would be better off quietly purchasing the item then openly asking for help picking it apart on here, but that is just my opinion. It has been said a million times on here there are only so many ways to make a bow or tutu and only so many colors to work with. I wish you luck with your new business
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesmoon View Post
There are some things in this business that you keep to yourself. If you have been making tutus for your kids, researching and trying different ways to make them.. then you should be comfortable enough to sell them..
Quote:
Originally Posted by masha1999 View Post

Good luck!
I agree with this!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:48

Why spend all that hard earned money? There are so many people that are willing to give advice, and there are lots of tuts out there........
If serious about this, then look up different wholesalers, to get your supplies from..... the cheaper you get your supplies, the less you have to charge for your items (the magic number seems to be 3! charge 3 times the cost of supplies to cover the cost of supplies, advertisement, and your time!)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg