New product--7/8' paw prints grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' star grosgrain ribbon
new products-3/8' snowmen grosgrain ribbon
New product--2.25' polka dot grosgrain ribbon
new products--7/8' cheetah skin print grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/breast-cancer-bow-tie-hair-clip.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-18-2012, 03:24

Default Re: Is this cheating or unethical?

Everyone has expressed such valid points in this thread! I think everyone should do their own thing, learn the best they can on their own, and then consult with other crafty moms for tips and advice!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2012, 09:14

Here is the bottom line....we are fortunate enough to live in a free enterprise world. That means unless something is copyrighted, patented, or trademarked, we live in a country that allows for business competition. An no, a tutu cannot be copyrighted or patented. It can be trademarked. So, if someone is successfully selling "Jelly Bean Tutus", do not label your tutus "Jelly Bean Tutus". Just like how you can't create a tennis shoe and call them Nike or Reebok.
I know that it can be irritating when someone begins to use another person's "method" for making something. But, I think there is a right and wrong way to go about it. You can use the "method", but then use your own sense of design and selling strategies. Living in a country with free enterprise can be frustrating at times.....but I'll take it over living in a dictatorship.
Even with this, though, I would encourage using some ethics in not looking at any particular business and doing EVERYTHING they do....I would call that stalking and that would be a little over the top.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:31

I have to say that I've purchased Hair Ties from competitors to see not how they make them because it's obvious, but to see how they are packaged and if the elastic is the same quality, I did this for research purposes for competitive pricing and to out due their "presentation" because for me that is key. Now buying hair ties or hair bows from a competitor isn't unethical, stealing right out the exact style, name and packaging is, and buying a couple hair accessories is a minimal cost compared to 5 tutus, that's just way to much money to spend on trying to figure out how they make them.
Forgot to add, that I caught a competitor buying from me, I didn't cancel the transaction and was more than happy to take her money, I just made sure my product was packaged extra nice just for her

Use the search function on this forum, I'm sure the question of how to package/present/make tutu's has been asked & answered previously, also if you are confident enough to make Tutu's for family and friends you can then present them to the public for purchase, just make sure you have beautiful pictures, descriptions and competitive pricing, their really is no secret.
Good luck.

Last edited by bizmommy; 08-19-2012 at 10:36.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:14

Why cancel the transaction?

The small business that I work for openly invites competitors into our facility and we get invited into theirs. We openly have their catalogs and I'm sure they get ours too. We all sell the same products manufactured by the same sources. The sources sometimes sell the products as well.

The profit comes from top notch customer service and other perks that our competitors choose not to do. We all have our little niche in the industry. Some of our competitors are actually our best customers and sometimes, we have to partner with them. We're all looking at the bottom line, but I love the genuine respect and knowledge that is shared too.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49

Just adding one more tidbit, how many times have you bought something because it looked so great on a site only to receive it and note how NOT to make something. I don't make tutu's yet but I have a prime example of a "not this way" in my sewing room right now.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:52

I think it would be unethical if you bought 5 tutus from competitors, then tried to re-sell them as your own. 5 tutus would be nearly $100 on Etsy, so what would you do with them after you bought them? Aside from seeing them in detail and the packaging? If you were to genuinely let your children play with them, or give them as gifts or something, I think it's ok. But would be unethical if you tried to re-sell them after.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:46

at least you are not looking with a magnifying glass at someone's tutu during a craft show to copy and then not even buy anything (so rude). Buy something if you need to get ideas, but don't copy it outright.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzleDazzle27 View Post
at least you are not looking with a magnifying glass at someone's tutu during a craft show to copy and then not even buy anything (so rude). Buy something if you need to get ideas, but don't copy it outright.
I agree. If someone is going to
"copy me" I would much rather them buy it first!! Lol. But me personally, I have purchased am item to see how it's made, but then add my own twist or add my own technique to it so it's not point blank copying. It's more to see the structure or maybe a different skill I wanted to learn. But there is so much creativity in each of us that we all share, you will get more inspiration here than just buying and buying and trying to copy.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies