5/8" polka dot grosgrain ribbon
Hip Girl Boutique It's a girl grosgrain satin ribbon collection
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/200pc-crochet-headband-combo.jpg

hip girl boutique grosgrain mini bow tie single prong alligator hair bow clips for baby infant new born women girl adult

http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-180.jpg
New products--Crochet headbands

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-10-2012, 09:38

Default Applique questions

I have attempted to applique using my sewing machine and using the below method. I'm a newbie to applique and am very clueless! Can you tell me what the best method is? The below method hides your edges when you flip it inside out, but is that not necessary when embroidering? (also sometimes impossible to turn some inside out).

Also, what is the "stablizer" for? I've seen where some are just appliqued right onto the shirt w/out using anything other than the fabric. So, I'm confused on why we need more. I've tried to find out as much I can from searching here and googling, but it seems there are so many different ways to applique, I'm getting confused on to the best method when using just a sewing machine. Thank you in advance for any help you might give!!

ETA: Removed link as it wouldn't let me post with it. It was applique with fusible interfacing.

Last edited by hd_darcy; 08-10-2012 at 11:11.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 03:36

Default Re: Applique questions

The stabilizer goes on the inside of the shirt to keep the material from stretching too much as you sew on it. Use the fusible kind.
I use wonder under for my appliques. The wonder under has a paper side to draw images on, then you iron that (paper side away from fabric) onto the fabric you are using (not the shirt). Cut out the image (fabric is ironed onto it). Transfer any lines that are inside your image (I hold the fabric upto a window so that the image shows through and lines are easier to trace). Peel the paper off the fabric/wonder under, and iron the image onto the outside of the shirt. The fabric will be ironed onto the shirt, but you still need to sew it on. I usually set my machine to 2" width (makes a narrow zigzag)-3" (wider width zigzag). I set the length to .5" (that the lowest my machine will go before hitting 0")
If you don't want to sew the applique on, you can use heavy wonder under. Apply it the same way, but you can finish up by using puffy fabric paint instead of sewing. No need to use a stabilizer if you're not sewing the applique on.
There are alolt of different stabilizers out there... I like to use the cheapest fusible that I can find, since I end up cutting all the excess stabilizer off.
Good luck and have lots of fun!

Of course there are programs out there that actually tell you when to put the fabric down and it sews it for you.... I have not used these programs yet and do not know how they actually work!

I don't know how understandable my directions are, and I apologize for my bad spelling!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:39

I don't do the way where you turn the edges under, I use a tight zig zag stitch to sew the applique down And cover the edge (to prevent fraying!)
Old 08-10-2012, 08:35

Thank you so much for the help! When I did it, I turned the edges under..... I see I was making more work for myself..LOL... Oh well, next time it might go smoother (or I can hope).

So, to clarify. As I'm sewing the applique on the shirt, the stabilizer will be on the inside of the shirt? So, I have the applique on top, the shirt, and then the stabilizer, right? And I'm sewing through all 3? When I buy the "stabilizer", is that just what's it's called "fusible stabilizer"?

I'm sorry for the extra questions!

Thank you again!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:41

Yep! When you go to the store, they should know what and where the fusible stabilizer is. There is sew in stabilizer and fusible... make sure you get the fusible so that it can be ironed on.
You want to sew through all three layers. applique, shirt, stabilizer.
Its alot of fun once you get the hang of it!
Old 08-11-2012, 05:41

just be careful of the stabilizer weight . . . you don't want a/thing that's too stiff.

here's another way . . . http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...Prep__D48.html

and i'm still looking for a pic tutorial of how i've done it for quilts . . . i put 2 pieces of fabric right sides together . . . sew on stitching line and trim points, clip curves, etc. . . and then slit the back fabric and turn rightside and starch/steam iron (sometimes i pull the slit backing a bit so seam is rolled to the back . . . and then trim away backing to 1/4 or 1/2" . . . now it's all set to sew on the shirt/quilt/etc.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:26

Wow, thank you for the link and info! So much to learn, and I can't believe all the different ways to do it... I'm excited to give it a try again soon I would have never thought to use a glue stick, and didn't know there was such thing as a mini iron. Awesome!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:37

y/welcome . . . found a video that shows what i was trying to explain in words. i don't use stabilizer but starch the fabric well . . . and then at the 2 min mark of the video . . . to turn it into an applique . . . trim the slit side to a 1/4 to 1/2 seam allowance.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...agic__D83.html

yup, g/sticks are real handy . . . and you can use a washable one to glue your applique to the item . . . and use masking tape instead of pins to also hold it in place. of course, gently remove the masking tape when your needle gets near it.

i hate pinning . . . so this way makes your applique flat!

hope i explained it okay . . .

edit . . . oops, forgot to mention . . . if you're doing a multi applique . . . like cupcake bottom and cupcake top . . . you only have to sew up 3 sides of the cupcake & turn right side out . . . then there's no bulk/line and the cupcake top covers the raw/open edge of the c/cake bottom.

edit edit . . . haha - forgot one more thing . . . sometimes i iron open the seam before turning . . . depending on the shape.

Last edited by prleaf; 08-11-2012 at 09:42.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies