New product--2.5' Zebra Printed Grosgrain Ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/banners/peace-sign-grosgrain-ribbon-ads.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/medium/7-8-grosgrain-ribbon-volleyball-forest-green.jpg
New Instructions--How to make korker hair bow using a korker box hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon korker for hair bows, hair clips, baby women, toddler, girl, adult, floral design, birthday holiday gift wrapping
New product--star ribbon for cheer bows

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 08-01-2012, 02:17

Default advice on covered mini top hat

I found some mini top hats at hobby lobby in the doll section a few months ago. I made one embellishing it. I saw on etsy that some people are covering their top hats with fabric. Does anyone know how to cover them with fabric? I don't want to make them look sloppy with gluing the fabric onto the hat.
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/whimsydoodlegraphics.gif
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49

Default Re: advice on covered mini top hat

Some of the top hats are already covered in different prints when they are ordered from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellasmommy2010 View Post
I found some mini top hats at hobby lobby in the doll section a few months ago. I made one embellishing it. I saw on etsy that some people are covering their top hats with fabric. Does anyone know how to cover them with fabric? I don't want to make them look sloppy with gluing the fabric onto the hat.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52

http://www.etsy.com/listing/95520843...earch_type=all

http://www.etsy.com/listing/92676231...-in-wonderland

these are similar to what I would like to do
Old 08-02-2012, 10:07

Maybe use spray adhesive instead if hot glue?? Not really sure but would like to know as well. Super cute!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:24

I have seen some top hats that are covered in fabric and they look so good. The fabric doesn't look wrinkled, it' nice and smooth. Here is what I am guessing at how they did these:

the second hat looks like it was likely sewn, based on the seams at the top of the hat. So I am guessing that that hat was handmade, or else they have a pattern they made/found so they can sew a fabric sleev to cover the hats.

The second hat, this is my guess. I am thinking that they covered it in sections. Such as cutting a piece to cover the top, the brim and the crown. I am guessing this because of where the trim is in the hat. I think the trim is covering the parts where the fabric pieces meet. The hat gives a decorative look as well as hiding the spots where the fabric meets and is not finished.

Hope that helps some. I have been wanting to try to cover my top hats in fabric since i like the look of it. However, I found a tutorial that suggested making a pattern and then sewing a sleeve/skin that would slide over the hat and fit perfectly, and it just came out a mess!

So I am going to try playing around with gluing the fabric on with pieces and then covering the spots where oyu can see the fabric edges. I think spray adhesive would be the best. I find that hot glue leaves bumps and ridges in some place as it is hard to get it completely flat and even all over the hat.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:06

Both of those hats look like they were homemade. I am re-doing a few for my granddaughter now that she bought at the swap meet over the week end and I am just switching out the clips. Mine have no seams at all. One I am doing is a black hat that has hot pink dots on it, and the other 4 are a plaid.
The links you posted show seams and looks like the brim was actually serged on a serger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellasmommy2010 View Post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:08

Yes, they both look handmade. Although neither of these look sewn. There are many patterns for sewing Mini Top Hats, but it really isn't much fun!

Here is one I made to match a dress, no sewing at all.
Fabric, trimming, guimpe (to cover the edges) and Timtex (Heavyweight Iron on stablizer) and hot glue. I used this free Tute...which has several different sizes http://www.fleecefun.com/mini-top-hat.html.
I traced the pattern pieces on cardboard, one set with the seam allowances and one without.
First I cut out the Timtex to the pattern without the seam allowances.
Then I cut the fabric out WITH seam allowances, I gave myself a bit more than 1/4" maybe about 3/8".
I ironed the Timtex pieces to the wrong side of the fabric (in the center) then folded over the edges and hot glued them down. Then I assembled the hat with hot glue.
It may take a few tries to get it looking nice, or maybe not
Remember, you can hide most flaws with embellishments!

Hope this helps!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:43

I've wanted to try to make one of these. Are there any tuts?
Sponsored Links