Craft Show Display Ideas
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-gift-basket-tutorial-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/clothesline-for-craft-show-display-title.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/bow-card-punch-tutorial-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-display-bow-title.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/hair-bow-holder-craft-show-display-title.jpg http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/custom%20bow%20cards-3-sm.jpg
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/dress-form-craft-show-display-title.JPG

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 07-03-2012, 07:27

Default Are my prices too high?

I feel I had come a long way with my bows. I spent a long time trying to make perfect bows (even spikes, baking them, etc), bought templates, tutorials, etc. I calculated the cost of materials vs work time, etc and I got some sales already. Everything was going fine. I don't feel that $10.75 for a bottlecap bow on Etsy is too expensive. I am offering a product that in my opinion is very good quality.

I promoted at a children clothing forum and someone wanted to buy one of my character bows and suddenly three other sellers are offering the same bow I have that they don't even have on stock saying that they will make it and the prices ranges are between $6 to $8. I lost a 40 dollars sale and now I am wondering if my bows are too expensive.

I try to sell all at the same price because if I price a bow for 7, one for 9 and one for 10.75 I think it will show a price contradiction. I am asking for $10.75 for regular bottlecap bows and $12.75 for bows with resins or clay centers. I will add OTT for $15. I want to have a real business that gives me a profit, not a business to please moms who can't appreciate or compare a good work from another. Venting. I know there is a lot of competition.

Here are some examples of what I sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01822.jpg (46.7 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01854.jpg (39.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00854.jpg (30.4 KB, 155 views)
Sponsored Links
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/large/portrait-editing-ads-700.jpg
Old 07-03-2012, 10:30

Default Re: Are my prices too high?

First let me say that your bows are beautiful and full of embellishments and different ribbon. Do you have a bottom layer to the bows? Like a larger bow on the bottom? Imo the prices you charge are maybe a little high if there is no bottom, but if there is then you are right on. These are around the prices i charge for my bows, but i make mine a little bigger.

You charge whatever you feel comfortable charging. There will always be someone that will unercut you with whatever you do. Most of the time, they will buy the bows from that other person, and they will be crap bows. Yours look very well put together, and they will see the difference.

Shame on the others for offering to make them cheaper when you were dealing with a customer. I dont know what group you were in, but that is just wrong.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:23

Yes, they have a bottom layer and the other seller bows are glued. I mean, she doesn't twist them just glue it using the figure 8 method. People who don't do bows don't know the difference. She just added the same bow I was offering to her Etsy shop, same colors...slighly difference for 7.50... Oh, well guess just keep creating and people will see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandys Kustom bows View Post
First let me say that your bows are beautiful and full of embellishments and different ribbon. Do you have a bottom layer to the bows? Like a larger bow on the bottom? Imo the prices you charge are maybe a little high if there is no bottom, but if there is then you are right on. These are around the prices i charge for my bows, but i make mine a little bigger.

You charge whatever you feel comfortable charging. There will always be someone that will unercut you with whatever you do. Most of the time, they will buy the bows from that other person, and they will be crap bows. Yours look very well put together, and they will see the difference.

Shame on the others for offering to make them cheaper when you were dealing with a customer. I dont know what group you were in, but that is just wrong.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25

My bows are 4.5 to 5 inches and if they are 5.5 and over I add feathers or marabou and I list them as over the top.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:25

I agree with Kandy's Kustom Bows!

It stinks that someone will undercut you, but I guess it's part of it.. Personally, I think your bows are absolutely stunning and I think you're pricing is appropriate!
On the forum you are a part of, is there a way to privately show your bows to potential clients? That could be a way to make sure nobody undercuts you. It may not be reasonable for all sales.. for instance if you wanted to post a picture of a bow to try and sell, but maybe if someone were to say, "can you make a bow to match?" you could PM them instead of replying to the thread? I'm assuming that the forum is set up like this... and I don't know how much of my question made sense, but it's an idea.
Unfortunately selling publicly it's hard to be private, but knowing a particular user will try to grab a sale from under you there might be a way to use discrepancy in your sales.
Just a thought!
Keep on doing what you're doing, because your work is something to be proud of!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:33

Being a teacher, I love your Teachers Rule bow! Do you do custom orders? I would love one that said My Mom Teaches for DD.. PM me if you are interested!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:10

i don't think it's the method of folding that makes the difference; it's how she is securing them, and if she's only glueing them and not sewing them, when they start to fall apart, customers will start to see the difference for sure. your bows are beautiful, look very well made and i think the pricing is fair. keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizAnnsbows View Post
Yes, they have a bottom layer and the other seller bows are glued. I mean, she doesn't twist them just glue it using the figure 8 method. People who don't do bows don't know the difference. She just added the same bow I was offering to her Etsy shop, same colors...slighly difference for 7.50... Oh, well guess just keep creating and people will see the difference.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12

Ohhhhh! I'm a teacher too! I LOVE THE FIRST BOW!!!! I'd soooooo wear that!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45

With the economy the way it is, people really just want a bow that is affordable! Most small children will loose a bow, so why pay $10 for a bow when you can get one for 1/2 the price. Times have changed from 2 years ago-
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09

Can you sell in a higher end market than your current competition? Crafts shows at richer high school, in more upscale boutiques, where people will pay for quality?
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.