New products--peelnstick double-sided-tape for lining clips
http://www.thehairbowcompany.com/assets/images/affiliateBanners/affiliateBanner3.jpg
hip girl boutique 1" metallic gold gliter sparkle ribbon
hip girl boutique grosgrain ribbon wrapped headbands for girls women baby toddler
hip girl boutique goody ponytail pigtail holder for women girl toddler baby

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-22-2012, 01:42

Default Gluing or taping a Tyvex pocket to a composition notebook

Some of you may have seen my post about using duct tape to dress up a composition notebook.

I would like to add an accordion pocket made from a Tyvex envelope to the back but I don't know what kind of glue or double sided tape to use. My plan is to attach the Tyvex envelope first, on the theory that it would be harder to get it to adhere to the duct tape than the cardboard cover.

I know there is a highly recommended double sided tape sold by someone here (I forget what it's called but I can search it if I need to) but if at all possible I'd like to use something available from Michaels or Walmart.

Thanks,

Kel
Sponsored Links

HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
HipGirl 6pc Set 2.5" Hawaii Hawaiian Plumeria Flower Foam Hair Clip Accessory, Boutique Alligator Clip Assortment. For Bridal Wedding Party Beach Vacation Outfit, Dress. For Girls Teens Kids Adults.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:49

Default Re: Gluing or taping a Tyvex pocket to a composition notebook

i don't know if this would work . . . and may be more cost effective . . . but i'd 1st try heat & bond - the heavier stuff - i think it's called "ultra" . . . and use an old sheet as a pressing cloth over it.

now that i think about it - the folder/envelope might be toooo heavy for the heat/glue to be activated . . . another idea would be permanent spray adhesive????? i don't know the thickness of the envelope you're using.

i hope they appreciate the work you're putting into these!

Last edited by prleaf; 06-22-2012 at 05:51.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by prleaf View Post
i don't know if this would work . . . and may be more cost effective . . . but i'd 1st try heat & bond - the heavier stuff - i think it's called "ultra" . . . and use an old sheet as a pressing cloth over it.

I never would have thought of that, but that's why I asked!

Quote:
now that i think about it - the folder/envelope might be toooo heavy for the heat/glue to be activated . . . another idea would be permanent spray adhesive????? i don't know the thickness of the envelope you're using.

The Tyvex envelope I would be using is extremely thin and light weight, but the heat would have to go through the front and the back of the envelope. Perhaps the bigger problem --actually the real problem with any adhesive-- is that once the envelope is adhered I will be dressing that up with duct tape as well, and the duct tape is fairly heavy. Although, I might be able to use the lighter, thinner packing tape. Some of the Duck Brand, and perhaps the Scotch brand duct tape patterns come in matching packing tape patterns. Hello Kitty for example.

In case you are curious, I am starting with the envelope to give the pocket more structure (including an accordion fold) than it would have if I tried to create it from scratch out of duct tape.

Quote:
i hope they appreciate the work you're putting into these!
Right now I'm in the planning and tinkering stage. Even if I make it to the production stage they are too young to really appreciate the effort involved in this. But if I wind up with something that captures their imagination and engages them in reading and writing then it will definitely have been worth it.

Ideally I'd like to optimize portablity by putting a strap closure on it and about 2 feet of 3/4" ribbon to use as a strap. I figure if it looks like a pocketbook and they can put girly knick knacky things in the pocket they are more likely to carry it around.

Of course that would be way to elaborate to make enough of them as favors for DD1's B-Day party in the fall. But I'd love to make one BookPocket (c) or NotePocket (c) for each of them.

Kel

Last edited by kelmac; 06-22-2012 at 09:55.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:23

another idea (that also may not work!) . . . is there a way that you could duct tape the envelope onto the notebook . . . have the duct tape extend 1/2" onto the envelope on 3 sides . . . and where the opening is just d/tape the back of the envelope?

lol . . . i keep on trying to keep the KISS principle in the back of my mind!

any chance you sew? cause a fabric cover would be soooo much easier!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36

Quote:
another idea (that also may not work!) . . . is there a way that you could duct tape the envelope onto the notebook . . . have the duct tape extend 1/2" onto the envelope on 3 sides . . . and where the opening is just d/tape the back of the envelope?
I considered something like this but I can't think of any way to do this without having it be too floppy or messy. If I cut the back of the pocket off to tape it down from the inside of the pocket, then I lose the structure and stability that I wanted by starting with a pre-fabricated envelope. If I don't cut the back and tape it from the outside edges then the back will be loose unless I adhere it with glue or double sided tape.

Quote:
any chance you sew? cause a fabric cover would be soooo much easier!
No, I don't sew. In any case I like the reduced bulk of the duct tape and I have a fair amount of money invested in duct tape at this point.

That plus the fact that the duct tape is in vogue right now.

Kel
Old 06-23-2012, 07:05

How about a glue runner, like the kind used in scrapbooking?

http://www.acmoore.com/p-60312-perma...875-yards.aspx

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/e-z-runner-574905/

Mono and Elmer's are other name brands.

Here's one that must be a non-name brand (I never heard of it, anyway) because it's so much cheaper than the others:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...artmentId=5343

Just make sure it says it's permanent, and not removable.
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/affiliate_alt_ads/jewelboxballerina-300.jpg