New products--alligator clips with teeth
Free bottle cap tutorial/instructions--sealing bottle caps
New products--3' star grosgrain ribbon
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/40yd-solid-grosgrain-ribbon-combo.jpg
New products--hip scottie III
http://www.hipgirlclips.com/store/images/24pc-inter-daisy-hb-cmb.jpg

Go Back   Hip Girl Boutique Free Hair Bow Instructions--Learn how to make hairbows and hair clips, FREE! > Ribbon and Bows > How to make...

How to make... Hairbows, hair clips, bottlecaps, ribbon shirts, flip flop...

Old 06-10-2012, 10:19

Default Tutu love

Ladies,

I have been researching tutu pricing for days on end and I am beyond lost.

My tutus are all triple layered. This specific one used two colors. This is a 0-3 month tutu. It was roughly $4.00 to make.

I am working on the following prices. Please let me know what you think. I am waiting to get a model stand so please excuse the photo.

Triple Layered Super Full & Fluffy Tutus Choose up to Four Color Choices
Newborn 6 months - $25.00
6 months 12 months - $28.00
12 months 2T - $30.00
3T 4T - $35.00
5T up to Teen - $38.00
**For less fluff in your Tutu puff, contact us for pricing quote.
***All tutus come with a matching tutu puff hair clip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TuTus.jpg (36.6 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Kmj267; 06-10-2012 at 11:55.
Sponsored Links
300-700-forum-banners
wholesale rompers, dresses, bloomers, hat, headbands, leg warmers, flower layers, tulle, boutique clothing and other craft supplies
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56

Default Re: Tutu love

I have heard chargeing 3 times your material price. So that would make your 0-3 months 12 dollars, which if fair. You could maybe even do 15.00 Tutus are very cute and full.....when you first wear them or show them on the hanger. After that they are "worn" and look..well not as cute. A 0-3 month old girl will pry not wear it for more than pictures and 2-3 times as part of an outfit. Just a thought...Cute tutu tho..I have put mine on paper towel roll to get picture before
Old 06-11-2012, 08:51

Default Re: *Tutus*

I think your prices are very fair. Not only do you need to take your cost of materials but your time into account. I tend to undercharge all the time because I just LOVE to sew, but we shouldn't. I know I work very hard on the dresses and outfits I create to make sure that everything looks as perfect as it can.

That is a beautiful Tutu. I have seen them price way more on Ebay and Etsy. There is a little shop here in Miami, in Adventura Mall (very very large mall) and their Tutus start at $75 for one like that. Not that that is fair. I'm just saying your prices seem fair to me.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49

Default Re: Tutu love

Quote:
Originally Posted by showers7x3 View Post
I have heard chargeing 3 times your material price. So that would make your 0-3 months 12 dollars, which if fair. You could maybe even do 15.00 Tutus are very cute and full.....when you first wear them or show them on the hanger. After that they are "worn" and look..well not as cute. A 0-3 month old girl will pry not wear it for more than pictures and 2-3 times as part of an outfit. Just a thought...Cute tutu tho..I have put mine on paper towel roll to get picture before
Thanks Andrea. I do not want to overcharge but I do not want to undercharge. I was thinking $25.00 might be too much to charge for a little baby tutu but then I have looked on Etsy only to see some people charge $8 and others $50 - $70. I was really confused by that. Thanks so much for the advice. I kind of use the 3x your cost method but I really have an actual equation I use to make sure I am calculating time and cost. I just did not like that number I came up with, it honestly was not enough, in my opinion so I thought I would take it to the board tehehe

Jaykrusen:

Thank you. I also tried to compare prices on Etsy. I must say some of those tutus are very pricy and some are ridiculously underpriced (like sickening) I wouldn't want to charge that much but I also am making them to make a profit. The tutus also include a tulle puff hair clip. They do take some time to make them with cutting the tulle and actually making it so I want to make sure I am being fair in comparision with what others do charge. I have seen a lot of people only doing a double layer but I really like the triple layers or more.

Thanks again ladies. I appreciate you taking the time to give me advice and I would love to hear more.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:01

3 times the cost of material is how I price my tutus. The really cheap ones ($8) probably aren't very full, that or they are really under selling them selves.
When taking in supply costs don't forget to include the tulle, the elastic, thread, ribbon (if adding a bow or ribbon strips), and any other little things that you use or had to buy to make it, that includes any shipping costs you may have had to pay for items purchased over the internet. You can also include an allowance for gasoline, if you have to drive to the store to buy the supplies.
Yuo don't want to over price because people will just over look your items, but under pricing send a stigma that you items are not good quality. Also keep in mind what you would be willing to pay for it!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5girls View Post
3 times the cost of material is how I price my tutus. The really cheap ones ($8) probably aren't very full, that or they are really under selling them selves.
When taking in supply costs don't forget to include the tulle, the elastic, thread, ribbon (if adding a bow or ribbon strips), and any other little things that you use or had to buy to make it, that includes any shipping costs you may have had to pay for items purchased over the internet. You can also include an allowance for gasoline, if you have to drive to the store to buy the supplies.
Yuo don't want to over price because people will just over look your items, but under pricing send a stigma that you items are not good quality. Also keep in mind what you would be willing to pay for it!

Thank you. I do not ever add in the cost of gas mostly because I do not want to figure it out but that is a great tip! Thank you
Do you think that cost is too high? What is your thoughts on that, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:32

nope! Give it a try, if they aren't sellingvery well, then you have room to play with the price.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05

i think your pricing is fine... generally i start mine at $21 from 0-4 yrs and then increase the price after size 4/5.

Tutus are very time consuming to make so people don't think about adding their labor cost into it. I think $25 is fair.

Even walmart sells their tutus (the cheap flimsy flat ones) for $12. So keep your price.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:25

Thanks so much!!! I appreciate all of your advice!
Sponsored Links